toyota you are dead to me

drummer's stump

I've actually been looking at Rangers lately how are they anyone have a late model one. Its the only compact truck left on the market and the 4 cylinder gets excellent mileage

I've been wondering the same thing.  Do they still make the 4wd models?  I had heard that they were only making 2wd going forward.  For me, 4wd is a requirement.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• River19

• drummer's stump

I've actually been looking at Rangers lately how are they anyone have a late model one. Its the only compact truck left on the market and the 4 cylinder gets excellent mileage

I've been wondering the same thing.  Do they still make the 4wd models?  I had heard that they were only making 2wd going forward.  For me, 4wd is a requirement.

I believe I read somewhere that Ford pulled the plug in the Ranger entireley...........but I'm not sure as of when, 2010, 2011 etc.

Ford did then they changed their mind and reconsidered its still up in the air I think. They should make the 4 cylinder in a 4 wheel drive and keep the smaller size I bet they would sell well.

I have a couple buddies that have them and no problems the 4 cylinder 2 wd gets around 28 on the hiway which is where I spend a lot of time.

The Ford ranger V 6 s dont get that great of mileage and thats the only configuration that 4wd is available at this time. I think one of my friends said he gets about 17-18 but that might be wrong. They are nice vehicles though.

Like I said I'll never understand the auto industry seems to me alot of people would buy a fuel efficient small 4wd ford truck since toyota quit making them.

bosco mctavitch
Ford did then they changed their mind and reconsidered its still up in the air I think. They should make the 4 cylinder in a 4 wheel drive and keep the smaller size I bet they would sell well.

I have a couple buddies that have them and no problems the 4 cylinder 2 wd gets around 28 on the hiway which is where I spend a lot of time.

The Ford ranger V 6 s dont get that great of mileage and thats the only configuration that 4wd is available at this time. I think one of my friends said he gets about 17-18 but that might be wrong. They are nice vehicles though.

Like I said I'll never understand the auto industry seems to me alot of people would buy a fuel efficient small 4wd ford truck since toyota quit making them.

not sure if it's on-topic or not, but

1)  When did Toyota stop making them?  Our two new-style 4cul 4x4 tacomas both get better fuel economy than our 92 or 94 4 cyl toyota pickups did.

2)  no company, no matter how f'd up they are, stops making stuff they are selling in favor of things they aren't selling.  If they stopped making a small 4cyl 4x4, no matter how it SEEMS it should sell, you can bet it was done based on the numbers.  

If you were wondering why the toyota trucks got bigger and Ford stopped making the small ones...well, I'll bet it wasn't because the small ones were selling better, I'll tell you that.

My tacoma with a 2.4 liter 4cylinder gets an actaul 24.5 to 28 MPG I've checked religiously since I bought it. The lowest I ever get is 24.5 mpg withmixed city hiway driving

I've been told the upsized ones get under 20 in real life useage what does yours get?

Just seems to me the new ones are neither fish nor fowl and with fuel steadily rising that a true compact truck is still in demand. And FWIW Toyota was selling the heck out of the previous smaller version down here, they are very popular.

Its just my personal opinion but I see little value in a dakota sized truck that doesn't get any better mileage than a full sized F -150.

I do think the new tacoma are very nice vehicles, just dont understand the logic of the size of them, they are much safer now though and thats a good thing.

bosco mctavitch

I get consistent 23 and change mpg, measured on every fillup--that's about 50/50 highway and back roads with a few miles every day of stoplights down the strip to work...pretty representative mix.  We got about 20-21 out of the old ones, essentially the same commute.  I was getting 24 with the factory tires, but when I replaced my tires it immediately lost fuel economy--it may be that you are getting better fuel economy with your truck due to different fuel mix in the south, different tires, etc--or maybe you just drive more efficiently than I do, early tacomas were better, could be a lot of things.

Logic I don't know about--but the extra room is nice, the truck is a lot bigger...if I could have the ideal vehicle it would be an f250 that got great fuel economy--until I find one (want a hit?) this was still the best I could do to match my usage with price/reliability/fuel economy.  If I could have bought a brand new 1994 toyota truck in 2006 when I bought mine I would have, even if it was a little more expensive--I knew it wasn't as good going in, but I had no other viable options.

Toyota has obviously screwed up royally here--the above doesn't change that--I guess I just am surprised that anyone is really surprised by this, and surprised that people are so shocked by it.  To me it's the logical conclusion to consumer demand for getting more for less money "at any price".

23 is pretty good better than I've heard from people around here is it 2wd or 4 manual or auto

Mine's a auto 2wd it has 260K plus on it so sooner or later....

bosco mctavitch

Both of ours are manual 4x4, an 05 and an 06 one with about 75k one with about 90k.  One with a fiberglass cap, one with just a few sandbags and some snow in it.  A tune-up definitely helps with the fuel economy, and the tires make an immediately noticeable difference.  

I have my complaints about the trucks and the company to be sure, but so far (knock on wood) we have not had to have anything repaired--nothing.  Counting on gettting a good few years payment-free out of both of them, first one is done this summer. (knock on wood again)

in 260K all I've had to replace was one starter at 189 K

Its been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned you should be OK I bet yours aren't even broke in :D

Toyota fumbled pretty badly over the last few years:

enlarging the Tundra to full size for no reason.

offering too many models that were not well planned.

quality control problems i.e. frame rust, cheap brake pads from China,

Instead of doing a few things well, they went down the same path as domestic auto manufacturers.

This is their wake up call. I hope they get the message, we don't need any more job losses in the US. As I recall Toyota has 6? assembly plants here?

Just one guy' opinion.

PartridgeCartridge

I'm keeping my Tundra. I'm willing to cut them some slack given how good their trucks have been.

But there is another recall, say for spontaneous cumbustion or some other reason, I'm gonna trade it in.

I am bummed that my 06 Toyota Tundra and wives 06 Rav 4 has likely plummeted in value--despite not being part of any recall. :glare:
I am bummed that my 06 Toyota Tundra and wives 06 Rav 4 has likely plummeted in value--despite not being part of any recall. :glare:

I wouldn't worry. Pre owned values will rise for several reasons.

This fiasco will die down and be relegated to a distant memory.

Used car prices historically have been value driven, not headline driven.

With the drop in new vehicle sales over the last two years the laws of supply and demand will drive values upwards.

Cash for clunkers took a lot of non clunkers off the market further deceasing supply.