toyota you are dead to me

drummer's stump

I am bummed that my 06 Toyota Tundra and wives 06 Rav 4 has likely plummeted in value--despite not being part of any recall. :glare:

Now you’re getting the picture Mr. Eden.

My truck is great, is has its flaws but I have no major complaints in 131K miles.  It is the perfect size for me, does well on logging roads for a larger vehicle that is basically stock sans for some minor suspension upgrades and does alright on fuel for a V8……..not great but acceptable.  I do love the fact that I can beat the piss out of it up and down rocks and roots all day while hunting then push the button for 2WD and drive comfortably on the highway with a car-like ride.

Sure the new F150s and Silverados are nice as are everything else that is new, but I am not about to commit to paying $22-30K over the next 4-6 years on something new.  I can buy a boatload of oil and gas for $20K so going from 16mpg to 22mpg (which is kinda twisted BS from Chevy anyways) for $20K doesn’t make a heck of a lot of sense (breakeven for that is about 600K miles).

I’ll drive it until it can’t be fixed anymore………….now about my Subaru head gasket job for $1600…………

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• River19

• drummer's stump

Update: made it home. Check 1, Truck started first time. Check 2, Truck braked when I need it to. Check 3, It didnt accelerate on its own. Check 4, Heater worked. Check 5, Cruise control worked. Check 6, Radio worked. Check 7, Blinkers worked. Whew!
Update: made it home. Check 1, Truck started first time. Check 2, Truck braked when I need it to. Check 3, It didnt accelerate on its own. Check 4, Heater worked. Check 5, Cruise control worked. Check 6, Radio worked. Check 7, Blinkers worked. Whew!

you got lucky this time...

you got lucky this time...

Youre telling me! Dodged a dang bazooka!

northern_hunting_mom

Accountants have always dictated the course an automaker goes.

Remember the Pinto? Granted, it ain't a luxury model but the accountants had their dirty little fingers in it. The cost of repairing the boom problem was $5 per car. The numbers said it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits that resulted from it as compared to doing a recall.

All vehicles have their quirks and recalls, it depends on how open and quick they are to address those problems. IMO, the recall problems of Toyota is not the main issue. Riding the coattails of their lauded reliability while quality has gone down is the deal breaker for me. They have consistently been higher priced with their justification being their quality. It going to be a long hard uphill battle to get that respectability back.

If Ford has fixed their Powerstroke diesel from the late-90's early 2000's then it may be a good engine but I found them to be low in power and going through 4-6 injectors a year is too much for me. I haven't bothered to keep up on if they have improved or not, just don't care. Cummins is king with Duramax a close second for me.

now about my Subaru head gasket job for $1600…………

Yep.  Had that replaced about 2 years ago on the wife's Subaru.  Every car company has its known weaknesses.  Toyota's is rust.  Subaru's is head gaskets.  And so on and so on....

(breakeven for that is about 600K miles).

sweet, I only need to go 200k more on my 01 diesel to break even..... thanks for letting me know...

now about my Subaru head gasket job for $1600…………

Yep.  Had that replaced about 2 years ago on the wife's Subaru.  Every car company has its known weaknesses.  Toyota's is rust.  Subaru's is head gaskets.  And so on and so on....

My 2004 Subaru Forester has 123,4xx miles on it with relatively few problems - none that expensive.  In fact it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

My understanding is that after the problem with head gaskets arose they at least redesigned or changed manufacturing so that the problem went away.

You are right, though, that all manufactured products have issues and problems.  It's just that in many cases the more expensive names cost more to fix.  Back in the mid 80's I had a valve job done to my Mazda 626 - $165 but a friend had essentially the same valve job done to his BMW - $1,650.  Ouch!

As the others have said I don't understand why the Tundra was made larger, but the fact is it WORKED. At least around here, those trucks are everywhere. While it may not make sense to us, it certainly didn't hurt the company at all.

For years the 4Runners only came in 4cyl and 6cyl, either 2wd or 4wd. Now the main engine is a v8, again no real reason, but it hasn't hurt them.

As the others have said I don't understand why the Tundra was made larger, but the fact is it WORKED. At least around here, those trucks are everywhere. While it may not make sense to us, it certainly didn't hurt the company at all.

For years the 4Runners only came in 4cyl and 6cyl, either 2wd or 4wd. Now the main engine is a v8, again no real reason, but it hasn't hurt them.

hurt them with me I would buy one with a 4cyl in a heartbeat

Its a shame the rest of the world gets this

2005 2.5 L diesel D-4D DOHC I4, 134 hp (100 kW) - 156 hp (Asia, Europe, South Africa, South America)

As has been mentioned,personal experience is hardly statisticly significant. Going by my experience though I'll give Toyota some slack to sort it out. I've had five pickup trucks, I don't trade, drive them until they drop or are beyond putting money into. Below is my track record.

Three Toyota Tacomas, A 2008 that I have now.I got 249,000 and 298,000 miles out of the last two. One clutch replaced. Thats it besides tires, oil changes and brake pads.

A Chevy, that needed a new motor at 130,000 and lasted to 156,000.

A Dodge Dakota, a real puke. Problems on a regular basis. 129,000 and junk long before that.

I'd give Ford a try, my Dad loves them, but I like the smaller trucks and the Rangers are made for midgets. Knees hit the dash board, head hits the roof, I can hardly drive my Dad's, just doen't fit in it. At 6-4 I didn't think I was that much taller than average.