REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

2010 Winter Olympic Games

Brad Eden

How about a General Topic about the Olympics?

I haven't gotten hooked yet. Easing into it. Watching the ski jumping right now. Alpine was postponed due to rain and warm weather. I wonder if Bode Miller will get it together this Olympics.

Brad Eden

I'll spray a little lighter fluid.

Is it just me or has earning a Gold Medal become less a feat? I couldn't help thinking that when I watched an interview with a couple 2006 Gold medalist snowboarders who looked to be about 15 years old and talked like they were at a keg party.

jmooney
I'll spray a little lighter fluid.

Is it just me or has earning a Gold Medal become less a feat? I couldn't help thinking that when I watched an interview with a couple 2006 Gold medalist snowboarders who looked to be about 15 years old and talked like they were at a keg party.

Maybe a bit but I think snowboarding is a bad example.  That seems to be a very "dude" oriented sport so I wouldn't expect them to have the same level of professional polish in front of the camera as someone from a sport like ski jumping for example that would seem to have more regimented and stricter way about it.

bigjohnsd

I think that winning in the sports with purely subjective criteria such as snow boarding, skating now that compulsory figures have been eliminated, Ice dancing and other such things becomes a "beauty contest"  may be easier to win in these "sports".

The "Hard Sports" with objective criteria like time or distance have probably become more dificult to win in as various kinds of science and technology creep in in an uneven fashion.  The Biathalon is still pretty darn tough to win a medal in i don't care how you slice it.

Then there is the issue of "performance enhancing" chemicals, hormones and other medical techniques etc.. that the IOC plays catch up in trying to police.

bosco mctavitch

fuel...ok.

I love the Olympics.  I look forward to it, and virtually every time I watch I am moved almost to tears by the dedication and practice that goes into a medal (or even just competing)in any of the events--objective or subjective.   But there is WAAAAAY too much damn figure skating--it's like it has become "FIGURE SKATING and a few other Olympic things".  Frankly, the olympics has ruined figure skating for me--not that I was ever into it, but now I guarantee I have no desire to ever see another figure skating event.  I hope they tone down the amount of figure skating skating coverage this year, the obvious and gratuitous focus on this has come close to ruining the olympics for me.

bigjohnsd
fuel...ok.

I love the Olympics.  I look forward to it, and virtually every time I watch I am moved almost to tears by the dedication and practice that goes into a medal (or even just competing)in any of the events--objective or subjective.   But there is WAAAAAY too much damn figure skating--it's like it has become "FIGURE SKATING and a few other Olympic things".  Frankly, the olympics has ruined figure skating for me--not that I was ever into it, but now I guarantee I have no desire to ever see another figure skating event.  I hope they tone down the amount of figure skating skating coverage this year, the obvious and gratuitous focus on this has come close to ruining the olympics for me.

Ben Hong
Am still a little cool towards the games still but once curling starts...

Uplander
Biathlon.  It's all about the biathlon....

looch
I don't mean to rain on the parade but I'll be brief and say that I have zero interest in the Olympics - the fact that I don't have a TV set notwithstanding.

jmooney
Am still a little cool towards the games still but once curling starts...

Not that long ago the Science Channel's show "How it's Made" did a piece on how they make Curling stones.  It was really interesting.  Apparently it's a special kind of granite that's only found in two quarries in the world one in Wales and one in Scotland.  "How it's Made" seems to be produced in Canada based on the credits so you should be able to catch it somewhere or even on the web.

EDIT: Found it on youtube:

Rex Hoppie

I have  a new and completely respectful opinion of curling.  If I lived in Wausau I would join the curling club,,,,if I could qualify.

As far as the olympics. They just screw up tv.  Does Bob Kostas have the same hair color?

Cooter Brown

I'm with Bosco and Bigjohn.

When I was a kid I all but obsessed on the Olympics.  Bruce Jenner, the amazing balls to the wall run of Franz Klammer (I think that was his name) to win the downhill, Mark Spitz, the US beating the Soviets in hockey.

But the last 20 years or so have gotten progressively worse with regard to commercialization--the emphasis on the dramatic "Up Close and Personal" stories drives me up the wall.  This and the near dominance of figure skating was done in a very conscious effort to bring more women to the viewing audience--I guess it's worked but it has done a pretty good job of driving me away.

Bigjohn makes a good point about objective versus subjective criteria.  Like he said a lot of the so-called "sports" that are heavily pushed seem to me to be as much a popularity/beauty contest as anything else.  Something measured in time, distance, accuracy has much more appeal to me.

Having said all that, a really fun to watch recent addition is the showboard cross--a group of riders races for the bottom of the hill.  First one there wins, but a lot of stuff goes on on the way down!

Maybe this time, with the games occurring closer to the time zone of most of the US, there will be less time to overproduce a lot of the coverage.

polecat
I'm still looking reading my new Sports Illustrated.

brymoore

God, I hate to say this but the school I went to (BG in OH) had a curling rink.  Shame.

+100 on Bosco's comment.  My wife will demand to watch the figure skating.

MissEmAll

I'll be forced to watch the figure skating because of my daughter, but I'll be watching like I watch Nascar - just waiting for the crashes!!!

The Opening Ceremonies were AMAZING!