REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

2010 Winter Olympic Games

Trappercase

There has been a tv show on recently up here (13 parts or so) called "over the bolts" where they followed the whole cnd snowboard team for a year. Fun getting to know these kids and the stress they have gone through. In one episode, the boarder wins a world cup event and gets an envelope with $3000 in it.  The celebration with his two buddies consisted of two flats (we call em two fours) of molson and 20 McDs cheeseburgers.

Short track speed skating is pretty wild

FlyChamps

The last olympics I watched was in 1980.  The "Miracle on the Ice" was as good as it gets.  I watched the first part in the hospital with the ex and holding my oldest in my arms two days after her birth - I went home to see the ending.  As we say down here "it don't get no better'n that".

Now that they allow pro's to play and drugs to rule I see no reason to watch.

Instead I'm watching "How it's Made" - but I haven't seen the curling stone one yet.

kdvollmer

Seems the most pushed sports during the Olympics always revolves around either on or 2 favored athletes, or some type of controversy.

example:  Summer olympics.   main focus was Michael Phelps.  An amazing feat for sure.  That was pretty cool to be a part of.  But lets face it, swimming didn't get that much publicity before him in recent olympics.

example 2:  The whole Nancy Kerrigan / Tanya Harding fight

Example 3:  body miller and all his controversy.   OK, skiing usually gets alot of notice anyway.  Always has.  But there was sure alot of talk around the TV because of him.

I won't get to see much of the Olympics this year as the only real TV we have is in the mess hall.  You get stuck watching what the cooks have on, and that will be what they want to watch.  As much as I piss and moan about the hockey, I would watch that if I could.  I just love the game, and miss playing.  I think the snowboarding would be neat to watch, that has a newness to it, and excitement for sure.  SO, i'll see what I get to see and get to read about the rest.

Brad Eden
I hear Apolo Ohno won Silver in the 1500 short-track speed skating. I watched him win the preliminary. What caused him not to grab Gold? Gotta give him credit for shedding the hollywood celeb thing (Dancing w.stars etc) and getting in best shape of his life. He shed almost 20 lbs from his weight in last winter Olympics.

bobman
Biathlon.  It's all about the biathlon....

I wish they would show more of it, I've always wanted to try that

Cooter Brown

The short track race was exciting.  Ohno and another American were in the final along with three Koreans.  Apparently the Koreans are something of a powerhouse in the short track.

According to the commentator, team skating (I suppose using team members to block out other skaters) is illegal but almost impossible to prove.

The race was back and forth but in the last turn the Koreans were 1-2-3.  Ohno and the other American were in fourth and fifth.  The Korean in third tried to pass the Korean in second and both of them went down.  Ohno got second and the other American got third.

The prelims were amazing.  Ohno is pretty cocky and a little "too cool for school" but that guy can race.  The way he set up and executed passes was a thing a beauty.

spinster

I hear Apolo Ohno won Silver in the 1500 short-track speed skating. I watched him win the preliminary. What caused him not to grab Gold?

He was lucky to win a medal...the three Koreans were blocking him until at last minute 2 of the Koreans collided with each other and went down. Am sure you can find a replay since it was pretty amazing the Koreans went down. The US athlete who came in 3rd place has quite a comeback story. Short track is a wild sport.

As far as biathlon...they may show it since for the first time, the US has a serious contender for a medal...Tim Burke.

Brad Eden
Thanks--lets keep the scheduling for Biathlon here on this Topic. I don't want to miss it.

Cooter Brown
The showed the women's biathalon yesterday.  Tough sport.  Interesting rifles.

ccavacini
Am still a little cool towards the games still but once curling starts...

My heart just raced a little.  Let the sweeping begin.

UplandHntr
are these games on NBC? I havent seen any games yet as Im surfing around. Im not in to them this go around I guess.

Wisconsin
I'm still looking reading my new Sports Illustrated.

Shame on you!

LivermushBiscuit

I love the competition, but get irritated at the coverage.  Network television doesn't grasp the concept that there's plenty of drama inherently part of the games.  Leading the edge to build and manufacture drama, and capture every local angle, ahead of the actual events, just chaps my hide.

It's like the Tiger Woods Show that golf coverage has (had) become: "What  would Tiger do?...What's going through Tiger's head, prior to this shot?...(pump up the drama/suspense/theater)...Get the shot of Tiger's empty parking spot, because he's not here yet, but he will be, yes HE WILL BE!"  Actual coverage of the Olympic events has taken a back seat to presentation and packaging, just like golf.

Not saying I won't watch it, I caught some of the women's biathlon yesterday.  I just ain't looking forward to wading through all the BS, to get to some unadorned competition that I might enjoy.

Anybody watched enough to tell me my suspiscions are misplaced?  I'd truly love to hear that I'm wrong about it, but seeing as how they (the games) are only being broadcast on ONE network (NBC), I'm pretty convinced of what I'll get.

I will try to catch some hockey...I was just reminiscing about the 1980 Miracle.

Jeff

AndyM

The women's biathalon was great yesterday.  The way they can control their breathing after pushing themselves like that is incredible!  Men's 10K sprint is today.  

About the only thing I can't watch is men's figure skating and 2-man luge.  Sorry, but any guy who wants to do 2-man luge should have their man card taken away, jmho.

Everything else is pretty awesome in my book!

AndyM

Brad Eden
Biathlon is on right now. Lots of misses on targets. US is at starting line.