REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

2010 Winter Olympic Games

kdvollmer
Only thing I have gotten to see was Ohno's prelim race on the short track, and the race that followed it.  I though the same thing in his prelim race.  He just seemed so cool and collected.  It was impressive.

Ben Hong

Vincent Jay (Fr.) won the Gold with a couple of other Euros in 2nd and 3rd. I was very proud of the Canadian kid, J.P.Leguellec coming in and unexpected 6th in his first competition. True to his heritage, the kid can shoot. In the prone position at the end of the first stage, he hit five targets in about 5 seconds, probably the fastest shooting of the day. Breeeaathe....

Two more biathlon events to come, the pursuit and the relay.

Brad Eden
This was a tough Biathlon for those who hit the course in the middle of pack with rainy snow. US hopeful didn't stand a chance. More events to go. I start to have buck fever w/ a shaky rifle when I am zeroing in on a small doe let alone haven sprinted on skis!

Trappercase
How far's the shot?  (I know I could look it up, but this is a discussion board)

Brad Eden
How far's the shot?  (I know I could look it up, but this is a discussion board)

That's the spirit! :)

jmooney

From the end of the barrel all the way to the target.

Trappercase

From the end of the barrel all the way to the target.

Looks much shorter

Trappercase

The biathlete carries the small bore rifle, which weighs at least 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), including ammunition in magazines on her/his back during the race. The rifles use .22 LR ammunition and are bolt action or Fortner (straight-pull bolt) action.

The target range shooting distance is 50 metres (160 ft). There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 millimetres (1.8 in), when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 millimetres (4.5 in). On all modern biathlon ranges, the targets are self-indicating, in that they flip from black to white when hit, giving the biathlete as well as the spectators instant visual feedback for each shot fired.

gonehuntin

For me, there is NOTHING like the Winter Olympics. They are games, many of them, for the extreme athlete. Luge. Bobsled. Downhill. Moguls. Half Pipe. Big Air. Ski Flying.

There is no other Olympic for me, that offers the thrill and excitement of the Winter Olympic. Those exteme athletes live life on the raw edge and they wouldn't have it anyother way.

I'm addicted. Downhill's my favorite.

Shotster

Must be a time delay...Men's 10K sprint Biath. on right now, and it is 2:21pm here in Cal. This reminds me of those silly times quail lure me up a hill I would not normally try to climb...huffing and puffing to the max...could not possible breathe any more/harder...then having a California Valley featherbuzzbomb bust out 30 yards further up, and me pulling the back trigger full choke on my 20ga. RBL with hope, and poke on my mind.

The rifles look like skeletonized Anschutz target rifles with modified bolts that do not lock as conventional bolts, but like a jammomatic. Synchonizing heartrate, and breath with tripping the trigger is always the the issue...biath. just ramps it up to crazy. Wonder when this sport will be dropped from the Olympics, as it obviously promotes dangerous activity along the lines of running with scissors?

Wish this Olympics could have been easier on our brothers, and sisters to the north! I got a Canuck started in the shotgun sports back in 2002...he has become one of my best buds, and he is now a hunting /  shooting machine...with the great support of a magnificent GSP that is a bird machine...and she is perty to boot!

USA's Tim Burke not looking good, and it is snowing on the course. Standing will always separate the crowd... V. Jay from France holding on to top spot. Tim Burke is toast. As a young man, I shot smallbore competitively, and skied...but not at the same time.

Oh Canada...Go USA!

Shotster

Ben Hong
As a young man, I shot smallbore competitively, and skied...but not at the same time.

Oh Canada...Go USA!

Shotster

Oh jeez, no way. Way back when,  I did some x-c skiing and I will confess that as good a shape as was in, doing x-c well is about a good as a cardio workout as there is out there.

bosco mctavitch
For me, there is NOTHING like the Winter Olympics. They are games, many of them, for the extreme athlete. Luge. Bobsled. Downhill. Moguls. Half Pipe. Big Air. Ski Flying.

There is no other Olympic for me, that offers the thrill and excitement of the Winter Olympic. Those exteme athletes live life on the raw edge and they wouldn't have it anyother way.

I could have written that almost verbatim.  The next two weeks are about the only justification I can think of for the television to exist.

2shot

I could have written that almost verbatim.  The next two weeks are about the only justification I can think of for the television to exist.

Agreed. I'm not nearly as big a fan of the Summer Olympics as the Winter. For me it's the ski events but I'll watch almost anything except for figure skating and hockey.

spinster

Looking at Biathlon, Burke did as well as many of the favorites. Both US and Canada did the best ever placing at an Olympics. Hopefully, the weather and course conditions will be better at the next event.

The US also did the best ever in the Nordic Combined, Spillane of the US earning a silver medal and Lodwick coming in 4th..was really heartbreaking regarding Lodwick since he lead much of the way. The US has a great chance for a team medal...perhaps gold if they jump well.

Canada had an athlete who qualified in Nordic Combined and came in last. Kudos to that fellow for even making it to the Olympics to represent his country...without financial support That is what real dedication to the sport and Olympics is about.

I gave up watching figure skating last night when the top Canadian pair was placed ahead of the other Canadian pair who skated clean. Unfair judging in my book...but typical of the sport.

Brad Eden
I can't seem to embrace the figure skating this year. Is it just me?