Walking Away

Great Topic. After seeing title I was relieved when I opened it and it wasn't a goodbye cruel board Topic. :laugh:
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

• River19

• GB Jack

Fly fishing and bird hunting/field trialing continue to be my sports. At one time I did a lot of big game hunting, that tapered off about 6 or 7 years ago.

I use to fish a lot. Fly and spinning but only on occasion now. Every spring I plan to get back into fly fishing but then spring turkey hunting takes hold.

I started out as exclusively an upland bird hunter. It consumed me. I tried bowhunting but back then we only had an Oct bow season and that interfered w/bird hunting so I pretty much gave it up. Slowly my interest in deer hunting increased and the challenge of hunting Maine bucks w/firearm became a passion. Bow seasons became more liberal and some started in Sep and I started bowhunting again too. Then along came spring wild turkey hunting as the population reached huntable numbers. THAT totally consumed me and still does w/bow and shotgun and also a recent fall bow and/or shotgun turkey season but not like spring. (I enjoy infrequent coyote calling/hunting but its not nearly a passion)

I have purposely not waterfowl hunted because I just dont have time for another addiction. I struggle every year to fill all my outdoor passions but upland bird hunting in fall is still my top priority and always will be I am certain-and is one thing I probably will never walk completely away from.

Snowmobiling was an addiction for a while back in my single days. We'd load up every Friday night and head north. Ride for what seemed like 48 hours straight somehow make it back to work on Monday and then do it all over again the next weekend.

Then (we) started racing ATV's on the ice.

That was crazy fun and fast. Lowered quads that hugged the ice and turned on a dime. Studded tires, motor mods, suspension tricks, sway bars, fun stuff. I can remember barely making it out the bar at night with enough entry fee in my pocket for Sundays racing, fun times.

Golf. I used to play about 4- 18 hole rounds a week and practice the other two days, our club was closed on Mondays.

I played two rounds all year last year but will try to get out with my Dad some more this year, maybe 9 holes a week.

gave up big game hunting after i had my kid felt bad taking a week or so off to hunt elk no regrets elk and deer hunting around here is crap anyways just picked up duck hunting in a big way

Running - then my knees said no more, now my ass is as big as a barn.

Sprint Car Racing - just started to get to drive when I graduated college and went into the Navy, then got into it again as an owner/crew chief in 2003.  Got out when I sold my business and didn't have cash flow to support it anymore.

Elk Hunting, 10 years straight in Idaho, Public Land, 20% success rate, see knees above.

Goose hunting - couldn't find anyone that liked to eat them and I don't.

Golf - continuing saga, started in 95 shot 120's, got into the 80's in about 2000, knees went to hell, ass got bigger, scores now in the high 90's but one can always hope!

It is amazing how one starts something, develops a passion for it, excels at it, then gets sick of it.

Growing up in FL I spent pretty much my whole childhood and teenage yrs saltwater fishing whenever I could. The population exploded in the area I lived and got harder and harder to find any decent spots to fish that did not  already have 10 boats sitting on top of them both on the flats and offshore. Lucky for me I started spending time out west fly fishing and got hooked on that. I still get a chance to saltwater fish a few times a yr but it is now just something to do not a passion.
I used to like to shoot woodchucks and once while putting the sneak on one, I looked beside me and there he was, not ten feet from me frozen like a scared rabbit..  I raised my rifle, put him in the crosshairs and just laughed and lowered the rifle. Never killed another woodchuck after that.

Used to be big into bow and handgun hunting 'chucks. Especially early in the spring they were suckers to walk along a rail track or creekbank and watch for them. If you didn't get a shot right away, locate the hole, be quiet and still for a few minutes, then whistle softly. Pretty soon that bean-eating snout will pop out of the hole for a look around. Got a lot of them from less than 25 yards. Haven't done that in forever. Just endeavor now to keep the home farm and my place clean of them.

I used to like to shoot woodchucks and once while putting the sneak on one, I looked beside me and there he was, not ten feet from me frozen like a scared rabbit..  I raised my rifle, put him in the crosshairs and just laughed and lowered the rifle. Never killed another woodchuck after that.

Used to be big into bow and handgun hunting 'chucks. Especially early in the spring they were suckers to walk along a rail track or creekbank and watch for them. If you didn't get a shot right away, locate the hole, be quiet and still for a few minutes, then whistle softly. Pretty soon that bean-eating snout will pop out of the hole for a look around. Got a lot of them from less than 25 yards. Haven't done that in forever. Just endeavor now to keep the home farm and my place clean of them.

Ron,  you just need more coyotes. They keep the chucks pretty well cleaned up around here.

Racing APBA stock outboards. "A" and "15SS" Runabout and "A" Hydro. I did it all through my teens but stopped shortly after I graduated high school.  It was fun as hell and the people were the best.  My dad still builds boats and motors.  

Chasing tail.  Man I loved the thrill of that hunt.  Eventually I scored on a trophy non-typical, and had to give it up.

Chasing tail.  Man I loved the thrill of that hunt.  Eventually I scored on a trophy non-typical, and had to give it up.

I'm not sure that "chaisin Tail " can be considered a sport, I always thought of that particular function as more like religion.

Like you I've been "out-of-the-game" for awhile, 32 years to be exact!

I gave up riding sportbikes about 5 years ago. I loved every minute of it but didnt want my kids to follow in my footsteps. It is dangerous and I was very fortunate to leave it behind with only one minor track get off.

Now we all ride dirtbikes together and are having the time of our lives.  I sure I could get them involved in bird hunting though- damn video games.

Ron,  you just need more coyotes. They keep the chucks pretty well cleaned up around here.

Got yotes, tempting sometimes to get the .222 out and sight it in. One last week at the end of the lane, exactly 200 yards, a nice range.