• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

• River19

• GB Jack

PartridgeCartridge

The nearest I came to living (and dying) that dangerously was playing pool for cash in redneck bars on Friday nights.

I understand that sentiment Mike. Some sports are just inherently dangerous. Take bungee jumping and messing with cheap hookers for example.

As a sport, they both cost about the same, they both take about the same amount of time, and in both cases, if the rubber breaks, you are dead.

Yes, I have.

Crotch rocket motorcycles – after breaking my right arm (again) when running a switchback mountain road on the morning of my 40th birthday, my wife made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.  She was right, of course.  When I see the young guys out there on their bikes on a nice day, I wish I was still riding.  I make up for it with open two-seaters – safer for an old guy.

SCUBA diving – I started out diving in quarries and such around here under the ice and all of that, then graduated to keeping a dive boat (owned with another guy – I probably still own half of it) in Key Largo.  Used to run the boat over to the Bahamas to dive, etc.  Having experienced that sort of diving for years it was too hard to get back into diving in cold, murky NE waters.

Despite that stuff, I’ve always been primarily a shooter and hunter.  I gave up being a serious big game hunter when I got out of the Army - oddly, I was bothered by the killing.  I gave up rifle competition (high power and flintlock), despite considerable success, because it took too much time and it got boring.  I gave up competitive shotgunning after 25 years of serious shooting when I turned 50 and began to have the time, once again, to spend following my dogs in the beautiful uplands of this country.

I’m content to be primarily focused on bird hunting during the time that is left to me.

I've given up golf.  I still play a few rounds each year for work but otherwise, I might as well sell my clubs.

I also gave up bowhunting years ago for hardcore birdhunting.  No regrets.

My life now is birdhunting in September, October is split between birds and biggame and Nov, Dec, and Jan are birdhunting.  I spend February, March and April tying flies and doing a little fishing in preparation for full press flyfishing all summer.  Lakes early and switching to rivers once the flows slow down.

Baseball. Baseball was my life as a kid. It payed for college. After that fastpitch softball. Played at a top level for a few years after college but quit to get a real job. Also gave up hockey about 10 years ago. Played my whole life competitively except the college years. Oddly, I miss adult hockey the most. The weekend roadies and the camaraderie of a close-knit team grinding it out to reach the ulitmate destination -- a cooler full of beer.

I'm not giving up beer. Or bourbon. Or Scotch.

Kevin

I love an honest man.

Well, PC I'm glad you are comfortable admitting this, I would hate to know your life partner wasn't honest.  Was this your official trip out of the closet?

I respect you for admitting this on the web for all to see....

:cool:

Steve

Gave up fresh water fishing and the boat. Just did not care that much any more. Still like to fish for trout, though.

Deer hunting. It costs one helluva lot for a good deer lease here in Texas and I just did not care that much.

I have always bird hunted a lot; I just bird hunt more nowadays. In the spring and early summer I shoot sporting clays and skeet. And mess around with the GSPs.

White water kayaking. Couldn't get enough and kept ramping up the difficulty. Had CPR after the ride in the picture below and ultimately lost a close friend about 10 years ago. Pretty much the most fun I've had legally.

kayaking.jpg

I gave up motorcycles but still have the MC endorsement on my driver's license.

Gave up diving but still have my C card. I also do a lot of snorkeling. Learning to snorkle and free dive properly was a benefit of dive training.

I also gave up white water rafting, softball, bowling, cheap liquor, camping and water skiing.

I gave up bow hunting but took it up again about three years ago. Unfortunately my return to bow hunting nearly ended my squirrel hunting and I love to hunt squirrels.

I used to be passionate about fly fishing and fly tying - trout, salmon, salt water, you name it.  But after "the movie" I got progressively more tired of the crowds, the instant experts, and the posers.  I sold my salt water rods and reels three years ago, and I haven't upacked my trout rods in about two years.  

However, now that I'm stuck in an area with such little upland hunting, and so much fishing, I'm thinking of starting up again.

I used to be passionate about fly fishing and fly tying - trout, salmon, salt water, you name it.  But after "the movie" I got progressively more tired of the crowds, the instant experts, and the posers.

Ah yes, and people who suddenly named their dogs "norman" and quit working to become "fly bums", haha.

i only WISH i could live that life

For me it's not what I've done and given up on, its what I keep coming back to.

fishing.

When I was first old enough to go out on the boat I fished - my first fish was a flounder, my second was probably a flounder and so on.

Kibbies, trout, bass, turtles, trees, me - you name it I caught it with a fish hook.

I hunt - ducks first and foremost, geese, squirrels, deer, rabbit, etc.  I shoot more ducks than anything but I'll hunt any time for anything to get out.

Theses are my "go to" hobbies - everything else is either periphery to them or completely unrelated - photography, beer making, backpacking, Jeeping, etc.  All just pastimes while I wait to fish or hunt.

I walked away from two sports due to guilt. Our kids were an infant and a 3 year old at the time and my wife had a 3/4 job. So one day I realized that I was being a selfish SOB by standing in my waders all day trying to hook a salmon on a fly while my wife was home tending to the kids on her day off. Gave up flyfishing for salmon and got out the spinning rod and started to chase smallmouths in earnest. I can go out after supper for a couple of hours right in the city, hook a few and be home in time to tuck the kids in.

I gave up golf for the same reason - time. A couple of hours of tennis benefits me far more that 6 hours of golf. And there's hardly any expense.