REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobman

Truck Campers

Fishnfowler

I have a friend with an alaskan.  They are amazing.  I have camped in the full-size rigid type also.  IMHO the improvement in mileage and lack of top-heavy sway more than makes up for the 2 minutes it takes to set up.  

We have camped in some real monsoon weather without a drip.  They come with stove, heater, fridge, the works.  

We have a trailer and it is a pain compared to my friends alaskan.  

If I were in the market and had the cash thats what I would get.

Rob.

thornvalley

This was my rig for a few years in the late 90s. Bought a new Chevy work truck for dirt cheap. Completely stripped down, 6 cyl. 5 speed, half ton. Spent $150 on the old camper and "fixed it up" with some cheap paint, some plywood, and flea market windows. Bought the old dog trailer for $250. Put a little money in it to make it safe, and it was off to the Dakotas. Short on space, topped out at about 50mph across MN with a head wind, and wasn't exactly luxurious, but I don't think anyone ever had more fun.

13084truck_and_trailer.jpg

I've also camped out of toppers more times than I can count. My ONLY downside to either is that like someone earlier referred to...you have to "break camp" anytime you go anywhere.

I still think if you are pulling a boat/horse-dog trailer/ATVs into the back country that a 4x4 truck and camper is the ONLY way to go. Well, maybe not ONLY...a Quigly or SportMobile would be pretty cool too.

Over&Under

Been hunting out of campers on my trucks for over 20 years now. Added oversize tires and air bags to beef up the suspension and sway bars to help keep things from swaying too much...they really help with the ride.

I really like the mobility the camper allows...all that's needed is a fairly level spot and you are all set. I know several farmers that have no problem allowing me to camp on their property while I'm hunting in the area. I've been through blizzards, ice storms, torrential rain and hail storms and survived in relative comfort. It's great at the end of the day to have a warm place to sleep and a hot meal. No worries finding a motel that has a room and allows dogs.

O/U

PaFlyfisher

Airstream made them back in the day, they can be found on ebay and are totally awesome.

Bede

RookieEP

Bob- You could just have the dogs sleep inside the truck cab while your in back if space got tight.  

TV- Love the rig.  I agree bet nobody had more fun.

Hunshatt
Airstream made them back in the day, they can be found on ebay and are totally awesome.

Bede

slide in's?

bobman

Bede

slide in's?

AVION made them they look like airstream very similar construction

Hunshatt
thanks

Hunshatt

bobman, cause of you, I'm checking ebay :glare: .... some deals out there, also found a place locally that specializes in the slide in's. May need to upgrade :down:

Thanks, I think

FLGator

Truck campers work great.  Had one for many, many years and it served as a great hunting and fishing camp throughout the PNW and Rocky Mountain region.  We've since gone to a 5th wheel.

I highly recommend you go with a four season unit.

Also, join the RV Consumer's Group.  There is a HUGE difference in the quality that's out there and you'll get objective insight from this organization.

There are few brands I'd consider with Northern Lite at the top of the list and in a league of it's own.  Big Foot, Arctic Fox and Alpenlite would also be in the running.

With that said, you might also just consider setting up a canopy for your hunting and fishing adventures.  You'd be tens of thousands of dollars ahead and can set up a pretty nice camp.

M. R. Byrd

I had a guy here in Dodge recommend the Arctic Fox. I have not seen his, but he is sold on the fiberglass construction. He has spent summers traveling the back roads of Alaska with it. Said he gave $36K for his.

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/camper/index.php

If money was no object, I would have one, plus a DuraMax underneath it.

bobman
:D If money was no object I would be retired and live down the street from you and could come home at night instead of buying a camper

B & E

I hunted for at least 10 years out of a Sunlight fold down slide in truck camper on a F250 4x4. Was very comfy even in extreme cold but it really sucked on gas and was very hard on the truck. I now have an old Wildernest. Not as comfy but much better on gas and on the truck.

If I was going to get another slide in (which I might) the only one I would consider would be a Fourwheelcamper ( www.fourwheelcampers.com ). Much lighter than all the rest and much better off road.

Another lightweight option would be a Flippac ( www.flippac.com ). You can customize it to your needs and still use it for regular truck cap.

A cool site you might want to check out is www.expeditionportal.com/forum   . Lots of good Ideas on there. Alot of guys on exportal customize vans for off road/camping. Very cool.

Good luck in your search.

B & E
I don't know why my expeditionportal link didn't work it keeps comin up error. Just do a search on it. It's worth checking out.