REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobman

Truck Campers

hunbum
my Skamper pop-up p/u camper is great, essential hunting gear...portable home, heat, & kitchen, doesnt impact truck handling or mileage in too major a way...want to cook lunch and take a mid-day nap between long hunts? no problem...finish the day far outside of town, on some sweet public land? camp right there, and youre hunting out your door in the morning...match your truck/camper weight, tie it down really well, and you will have no problems...

bobman

My trucks going to be a one ton dually so I'm pretty sure it will not be a issue

Are those soft sided pop ups warm in December say in Kansas?

walt lister

I've been camping out of this recently and it's ok but I'm now looking for a cabover for a little more comfort.

stevenov023.jpg

hunbum
I use my pop-up thru the winter for ski trips...it stays plenty warm...I did replace the original (marginal) heater with a good quality catalytic unit...efficient, and good dry heat...

PWZ
Are those soft sided pop ups warm in December say in Kansas?

The problems with the ones I've been in wasn't keeping them warm, but rather dealing with the interior condensation on the tent sides of the camper.

Old Girl on the Hill

In our late 30s we bought a used Lance camper (8'10"?), put it on the crew cab, and used it constantly for horse shows, hunting, field trials with horses, remote places you couldn't pull a trailer to, etc.  It was wonderful - me, dh, and no more than 2 GSPs.

Alas, we were young then.  We took a couple years off from using it, want to get going again, still 4 of us but we are older, injured, etc and I can't see crawling in there and having fun with the small size.  Am thinking of finding a small travel trailer, maybe 18-20', just to have more room to move the old bones around and easier for one elderly and one injured dog to use more comfortably.

But I am keeping the camper, because hope springs eternal and if you are in decent shape, it is absolutely the best way to go.  Grew up traveling quite a bit in a Lance with my parents and brother - fun, fun, fun.

Only thing I don't like about ours is that I was too cheap to put on electric jacks, and now that I am older, I HATE the lifting up/down part.  But I can fix that.  And it does have everything you need to be comfortable on the road - and I pull a horse trailer behind it with ease.

Lars

Even though its old 1984 vintage I've always like my little Rocky Mtn pop-up camper. Perfect for one but two is fine with a couple of dogs. Propane furnace, 2 burner stove, sink with 8 gallon water storage, ice box. Many trips to Kansas but this photo was taken in Montana.

More space would be nice but I like the idea of being very mobile.  If I don't like were I'm at I just start the engine and move on. Park just about anywhere, pop the top and I'm camped.

LibGretaCamper.jpg

Lars

See. Go anywhere.

BlueGrouseHunt9.jpg

bobman
Lars thats pretty nice, what truck is that sitting on?

Lars
Bob, its sitting on an old '97 Toyota T-100 6 cyl. Everything about me is old.  :D

bobman
:D 97 model is a new one my vans a 91

PWZ
Even though its old 1984 vintage

nice rig. that thing's just getting broken in. I'm still trying to figure out what year this beast is.

0920091025-1.jpg

the nice thing is, not matter how old it is, the dogs just love it.

PA110043.JPG

PA110045.JPG

M. R. Byrd

:D If money was no object I would be retired and live down the street from you and could come home at night instead of buying a camper

Bobman,

Would this suit you while in Dodge?

JB16Aug08002-1.jpg

bobman
:D nah too small

Lars

Nice old camper Pat.

Bob, if you do a search on Craigslist in your area I bet you could find an old camper someones selling cheap. I've checked them out in different areas before. Some have everything working, others need some minor repairs usually cosmetic. The may not look the best but the price can be very reasonable and they work just fine for a few trips a year.