Trucks vs. Suv's

fethrduster
I drive an older lifted Jeep Cherokee that I'm customizing into a specialized bird hunting rig.  I took the back seat out and made a carpeted insert to take its place, so the back is like a carpeted truck bed.  It's great for bird hunting, but sometimes, a truck is really nice too.  The jeep is smaller and nimble, and awesome on small off road trails, but full size trucks can't be beat for hauling stuff, especially on long hunts.  What do you guys prefer and why?
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• fethrduster

• Greybeard

• frugal pointer

frugal pointer

I have a 4Runner that replaced Landcruisers and a Tundra.  I love the fact its narrow and nimble but I am tired of sitting with debris and stink.  If I had the coin I would keep one as a dedicated hunting rig,  but alas that is not an option right now.

That being said I am looking for a crew cab diesel full size truck, my 16 year old is getting the Yota August 1st.  FP

fethrduster

That being said I am looking for a crew cab diesel full size truck, my 16 year old is getting the Yota August 1st.  FP

Really?  Don't you need to make an appointment to turn one of those things around?  That's quite a jump, from a nimble smallish suv to a crew cab diesel.

frugal pointer

Well, the days of jamming my frame into the 4Runner are coming to an end.  Like a good bud of mine says, "It's like putting a shirt on" :D

Kim also keeps wispering "5th wheel" in my ear, and I am weak. :blush:

FP

Dave Gowdey

One of the reasons that I like Ford SUVs so much is that they still understand the concept of cargo space.  Or at least they used to.  

I actually prefer the SUV for dog transport because I like the fact that they are inside with me in a climate controlled environment - and I don't have to worry about things like Carbon Monoxide.  I also like the fact that everything is inside the vehicle - I've had stuff stolen out of the back of my pickups in the past.  Even though the SUV isn't as useful as a PU for hauling things like fertilizer or construction materials - I find that with a liner I can pretty much haul whatever I need to without causing too much damage.  

My old explorer folds down flat to basically a six foot carpeted PU bed.  It's wide enough for two large dog boxes - and long enough that I can sleep comfortably in it with the dogs if need be.  With the roof rack, I can carry pretty much everything I need for a week long camping trip.

However, I'm saving my pennies to get another Expedition with the third row.  With the seats folded flat it basically has an eight foot PU bed.  The dog boxes fit in easily, with plenty of room for camping gear and hunting buddies.  Again, it is convenient to sleep in.  The four wheel drive is serious enough for most anything I would want to do -basically very bad public lands roads.  It was also very good on snowy Wyoming highways and roads.   It is not as nimble as a small SUV -but they still have a surprisingly small turning radius.

If Ford would only make it with the same power as the 5.4L but with mpg of 35-40, it would be the perfect outdoorsman's vehicle IMO.

I have an SUV, wish I had a truck.

+1. Most times.

+2

SUV+(DOG+SKUNK)   =   #$% ^&&*()_ $$#@!) ( )(&*^$+$500 to deoderize SUV

have access to a 4 runner,  a Tahoe, and a mazda 3.

my ride of choice is a crew cab diesel rig, I drive it  all over the place. when the dogs don't stink, they can ride up front with me, when they do, or I have a couple of friends along(and thier dogs) they all go in the back.

Been in a little of everything, I wouldn’t mind having a dedicated hunting/chore vehicle but like FP I can’t justify it.  I like the space of the full sized rigs like Tim’s BAT and frankly the Diesel is the only way to get close to the 17-19mpg highway I get with my current Tundra.  I think a crew with a cap would be the best idea.  I know mud will be the enemy of a heavy rig like that, but in reality anyplace that vehicle won’t take me is someplace I shouldn’t be driving to anyways.

We’re going to milk our high mileage vehicles for a while longer and then figure out what to do.

I like the idea of a full sized SUV but not the mileage and the older Excursions etc. with a diesel are rare and usually beaten on from a mileage standpoint.

I did see a cherry late 1980’s Toyota 4x4 for sale with low miles a few weeks ago……..back when they made stuff that didn’t have an unwanted autopilot feature

Diesel excursions seem to be common in the Va region. I have 4 buddies with them, and have seen quite a few down there. Way more than up our way. Check Ebay.
I have had both pickups and SUVs. I own a Nissan Frontier pick up, GMC Jimmy, Jeep Comanche, Commander, 4dr Wrangler, and 2dr Wrangler. I prefer my 4dr Wrangler. I hunt in some very cold weather and like having my dogs inside. If I have a truck, having a topper defeats its purpose on the farm and is a PIA to take on and off all the time IMO. I usually don't hunt with more than one other person and the 4dr Wrangler allows me to haul enough gear and a couple of dogs. I suppose you could have more room using a suburban, etc, but then I would loose the nimbleness that I love so much from the Wrangler. I just bought a new 2dr Wrangler two days ago. Even more nimble than the 4dr, but that is a solo rig for sure.

I'd go with the SUV.

If I need to haul stuff, I have a trailer and in MI, the trailer gets a lifetime license for $75 and is a good way to go.-Too Dogs