Playoff Hockey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• x Bred Pointer

Another interesting night. Once again, I hate to admit it, but Sid loked great.

Why do you hate to admit it?  Just because the other team has a great player, it's not disloyal to your team to recognize it.  Not my favorite fan base by a long shot but I personally think Lidstrom is the best defenseman I've ever seen.  Have said it before.  

Guerin, who's been around, frequently comments on how Sid never takes a shift off.  We all saw that in each of the 3 play-off games for the Pens, even in the loss of game 1 he had 3 points.  Ben may be on to something, we may be watching a truly great talent only eclipsed by a work ethic that exceeds anyone else in his sport and many other sports.

GO PENS!

Ben may be on to something, we may be watching a truly great talent only eclipsed by a work ethic that exceeds anyone else in his sport and many other sports.

Here's a few thoughts for anyone who is interested in posterity and in seeing a bit of history being written. At my age I am not easily impressed with many things, especially in the sports realm of the present day. In my day I have seen (live) many of the great NHL stars of the past 55 years, since my first live game when I first saw the Red Wings and Habs in the old Montreal forum, and intermittently from then on. I have always watched hockey on TV whenever and wherever I may be.

I have seen the comet that was Bobby Hull, the genius of Bobby Orr, the Glory of Jean Beliveau, the Power of Gordie Howe, the flaming of the Rocket, Lafleur, Gretzky, Mario etc.etc. I should consider myself a lucky fan, but I do have some regrets. You see I was like 99.99% of all the sports fans everywhere and all through time, I did not fully appreciate and admire a prodigy or "star" fully because he played for a team that was not my favored team.

Do I regret that part of being a fan? Yep. Do I wish I could see again Orr effortlessly dominate a game day after day? Yep! Would Gordie impress me now even though he played for another team? Yep! Do I want a repeat of seeing Hull winding up behind his own net and beating the whole opposing team to score? Yep!! What's the point of my rant? I am advising those of you who admire and respect talent and brilliance to really look at the present crop of "stars" and really appreciate what and who they are, regardless of team affiliation.

I regret withholding my complete admiration for the people mentioned above because they played for a non-favoured team. How silly. Talent is talent; genius is genius and Crosby is the supreme example right now.

I think you read too much into my post. Of all of the great games to watch why would I pick to watch the Caps long time arch enemies? One reason...Sid.

One of the reasons I am becoming such a hockey fan is because, IMHO, to be great requires not only talent but a ton of drive and many more lesser seen attributes. That is why I am such an Ovie fan, but I fear the suspensions may have changed him.

I'm did not grow up with the game so I don't have a whole lot to compare todays players with. However, Crosby is exciting to watch.

I felt like the Caps had figured out the Habs on Saturday with the scoring frenzy in the 3rd period. Let's see if Price makes a differance. I feel like the Caps will close it out in 5 now, but it all depends on which team shows up. When they are on they are hard to beat, but they seem to like to not show up sometimes.

Looking forward to see what Ottawa and NJ do tonight. So far, all of the series have been great to watch.

My Sharks are cursed...  :(

Are they ever!! My sympathies. That's a great team but absolutely NO luck whatever.

Henry Rackliff
My sister has Bruins season tickets so we watch them.  The last 2 games have been fantastic to watch.  Boychuk's hit last night was huge!

8 goals in one period -- weird.  This series has been a good one for a couple of the not well-known Pens such as Pascal Dupuis and Max Talbot.  Dupuis has played really well all season and he continues so far in the cup run.  Talbot's been hurt and his season is just starting.  Good to see that the Pens are getting production from other areas beyond Sid and Geno's lines.  

Toughest game to win is the close-out game.  Hope the Pens can get this over with tomorrow evening in Pgh.  They could stand a rest after the cup run last year.

BTW, how can the Devils be down 3-1 to Philly?  Would have never guessed that one.

GO PENS!

Ben may be on to something, we may be watching a truly great talent only eclipsed by a work ethic that exceeds anyone else in his sport and many other sports.

Here's a few thoughts for anyone who is interested in posterity and in seeing a bit of history being written. At my age I am not easily impressed with many things, especially in the sports realm of the present day. In my day I have seen (live) many of the great NHL stars of the past 55 years, since my first live game when I first saw the Red Wings and Habs in the old Montreal forum, and intermittently from then on. I have always watched hockey on TV whenever and wherever I may be.

I have seen the comet that was Bobby Hull, the genius of Bobby Orr, the Glory of Jean Beliveau, the Power of Gordie Howe, the flaming of the Rocket, Lafleur, Gretzky, Mario etc.etc. I should consider myself a lucky fan, but I do have some regrets. You see I was like 99.99% of all the sports fans everywhere and all through time, I did not fully appreciate and admire a prodigy or "star" fully because he played for a team that was not my favored team.

Do I regret that part of being a fan? Yep. Do I wish I could see again Orr effortlessly dominate a game day after day? Yep! Would Gordie impress me now even though he played for another team? Yep! Do I want a repeat of seeing Hull winding up behind his own net and beating the whole opposing team to score? Yep!! What's the point of my rant? I am advising those of you who admire and respect talent and brilliance to really look at the present crop of "stars" and really appreciate what and who they are, regardless of team affiliation.

I regret withholding my complete admiration for the people mentioned above because they played for a non-favoured team. How silly. Talent is talent; genius is genius and Crosby is the supreme example right now.

Well Ben you didn't have the advantage of growing up with a crappy team! Can't tell you how many times I spent watching the North Stars lose. The stands were empty and you could move up to the high priced seats at will. The Bruins, Habs and Flyers would come to town and just crank it up knowing the Stars had no defense and not enough offense to compete. I watched Bobby Orr skate end to end. I watched a team full of stars (the Habs of the late sixties and most of the 70's) dominate. I was a hockey junky, didn't matter what team. I played outdoors 'til I got to high school and was not good enough to make the college ranks. Game's changed but it's still the best around.

Great game last night between the Sabres and Bruins, just wish the Sabres had come out on top. Great saves from both goalies. Top scorers from the Sabres have disappeared, if I hadn't seen Connolly's face on the TV screen wouldn't know he had been playing.