Playoff Hockey

Here's my fearless prediction:

Wash over Mtl in 7 (there will be 4 one-goal games, incl. 2 sudden deaths))

Going to the 7th game. MONTREAL CANADIENS old time hockey, BABY!! All bets are off but I have high hopes for the Habs in Washington.

No John, the Habs goalies are not spent and tired.

Shades of 1971 when Ken Dryden killed the BIG BAD BRUINS.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• x Bred Pointer

Ben,

You are a great and wise sage. I thought you had lost your mind with that prediction especially after game 2 and the Caps comeback. I was convinced that the Caps had figured out the Habs system and it was over. It looked over for a while until Halak started his head dance. At this point anything can happen, that is why game 7's are so great. It could all come down to a funny bounce of the puck. Alos, Halak is in the Caps heads BIG time (and who can blame them).

BTW, aren't you the one who told the story about the Oilers walking past the Islanders dressing room having a sort of moment realizing what it took to win a cup? Well, the Caps with all of their talent are not there yet. I don't think they understand the commitment it takes. They need 2 or 3 more guys like Knuble on the roster. I still think Ovie is better than Sid (not by much) but until he wins he cannot be considered as better.

Wednesday night will be fun but I fear the Caps are done.

I still think Ovie is better than Sid (not by much) but until he wins he cannot be considered as better.

Hmmmmm...better at what?  How about a breakdown of skills:

Shooter/scorer - yes

Skater - not by much if at all

Puck handler - no

Passer - even

2 way player - no (though a wing shouldn't have to be as good as a 2-way player as a centerman so it's a bit moot)

Better near the cage - no

Leader/captain - no

Did I get the right criteria?  Can't think of anything else.  I'd have Sid as a slight nod today and in the past couple of years based on the above.  Take away the the 2-way player and Sid still has a slight nod.  Since I don't see Ovie as much as Sid, I may be missing something here.  Also, Ovie is a much better interview.  With Sid, you could almost replay every one of his interviews and they have the same content, rythem and meter.  "Uh, we were a bit fortunate against a really good team and the guys did a great job of keeping the puck in their end.  I was luckey to get some great feeds from them, Billy put that one right on my blade."

-----------------------------

Here's an interesting one:  Lebron James has been talking a bit with Sid about getting to the next level and what it takes, how it feels.  The "King" of the NBA is knocking on the door of some kid from Cole Harbour.  Pretty cool.

-------------------------------

Habs sure do seem to want to win this series -- CNNSI has an article up about how Montreal is now just a bunch of ghosts from the past.  Looks like they must have read that article.  Still cannot see how they can win in DC tomorrow.  The Caps are going to come out on fire and stay lit the whole game.  Over 50 shots and one goal?  No way that trend continues.  That Caps team is a sleeping giant.  No one in the NHL should want to play them.

GO PENS!!

DennisMcFeely
Halak is in the Caps heads BIG time (and who can blame them).

+1.  Game 7 should be a doozie.

I'd have Sid as a slight nod today and in the past couple of years based on the above.  Take away the the 2-way player and Sid still has a slight nod.

Sid has that ephemeral [/i]it with a capital "I" that not many people have. Those 2 little letters spell a word that has  very heavy resonance and tone...a sense of the moment and the ability to exploit that moment, capture it and make it his own.  What 22 year old can and has been able to do that? Orr, Gretzky, Howe, The Rocket, Mario, Yzerman,  Lafleur, etc., they all needed more years and experience. Most important of all, they needed an all-star team built around them before they could attain the heights. Regardless of how you look at it the Penguins of today, minus Crosby, is a very, very ordinary team as far as championship teams go. Sid carried that team to the Cup last year.

He seized the moment and led Canada to Olympic Gold 8 weeks ago, and rubbed Ovie's nose in "it" in the process. He has won everything there is to win in hockey all by the time he reached 22.

I'd have Sid as a slight nod today and in the past couple of years based on the above.  Take away the the 2-way player and Sid still has a slight nod.

Sid has that ephemeral [/i]it with a capital "I" that not many people have. Those 2 little letters spell a word that has  very heavy resonance and tone...a sense of the moment and the ability to exploit that moment, capture it and make it his own.  What 22 year old can and has been able to do that? Orr, Gretzky, Howe, The Rocket, Mario, Yzerman,  Lafleur, etc., they all needed more years and experience. Most important of all, they needed an all-star team built around them before they could attain the heights. Regardless of how you look at it the Penguins of today, minus Crosby, is a very, very ordinary team as far as championship teams go. Sid carried that team to the Cup last year.

He seized the moment and led Canada to Olympic Gold 8 weeks ago, and rubbed Ovie's nose in "it" in the process. He has won everything there is to win in hockey all by the time he reached 22.

The game was different back then as well, which is why each generation has a stand out that signals times have changed.

That is sid, the new guard.

I don't disagree about the "It" that Sid has. I have repeatedly said that he has surprized me this year and is a great player headed for immortality. The bottom line...he is a winner.

Unless you are in the locker room, there is no way you can comment about whether or not someone is a better captain. That criteria doesn't hunt.

By all criteria that I see, Ovie and Sid are pretty much even. The one that really matters is WINNING and until Ovie gets a cup he is behind Sid.

I know this is a shallow non- old time hockey head point of view...I would much rather see Ovie play. He is much more exciting.

I know it is against the fabled Habs, but I really want the Caps to win and go on to win the next series so Sid and Ovie can square off in the east finals.

gselkhunter

Ben are you ready for MTL to play Pitt in round two? There is no doubt they stunned the Caps in game 6. But the Caps were stunned by their own coach too. See if the Caps have the resolve to fight back.

Det showed a team playing Det hockey last night. If they put that much effort into the rest of their games they could win another cup.

Halak had a nice game.  I have learned something in years of playing and watching.  that being there are few, very few goalies who should do more than stop the pucks, behind the net.  Seems to me that that on those weak attempts to clear, over half the time the other team generates a scoring opurtuity on them, and that goalies just dont "look" and make bad decisions when playing the puck, like on the first goal for the HABS.  ITs going to be an interesting game 7, you can believe that!

The wings advanced but how about Boston, thomas is playing sweet as are the guys up front, it will be interesting to see their first game in round 2 to see if they are sustaining this.

Ben are you ready for MTL to play Pitt in round two?

This would be a match made in heaven, at least this year. This would be the skating game to beat all skating games as both teams are in a class of their own, speed-wise. And, except for Matt Cooke, no a**holes on either team.

BRING IT ON!!!

gselkhunter
Is everybody already counting the Caps out of it? I'm beginning to feel like a red headed step child here.

Go Caps!!!!!

I don't think you can count the Caps out but they sure have done some self demolition. Montreal has done a very good job at shutting down a high powered offense also.

Ben,

What do you call Orpik and Talbot?

Is everybody already counting the Caps out of it? I'm beginning to feel like a red headed step child here.

Go Caps!!!!!

VMI...you must not have read my entire post where I state there is no way the Caps lose game 7.  I'm torn, I'd love the Pens to play Montreal but would also love to watch a Pens/Caps series too.  Heck, I'd love to watch the Pens play anyone!

Was on a con call with Air Canada customers today in Montreal and they are very nervous about tonight, mostly glad to even be in a game 7 after being down 3-1.  Our 60 minute meeting was at least 25 minutes about hockey, the game tonight and the Caps superior firepower.

My comment about leadership is based on what the hockey pundits say about Sid being a great captain/leader in practice, in the locker room and in the game.  The guy who cemented in my mind that this was case was the Wing's Babcock.  He has seen Sid from many angles and comes away with effusive praise.  BTW, Sid is not a fiery leader, he's quiet, says little but leads by example.  Bill Guerin, age 39, been around the NHL for a long time said Sid's the best he's seen as a leader and he's seen many.  He also said he was highly skeptical of a 20 YO captain when he joined the club but quickly realized that this is the real thing. Since I don't know much about that aspect of Ovie's game, I'll respectfully retract my comment about Sid being a better Captain and wait until this Spring further unfolds.

--------------------------------------

If the Wings keep playing like they did last night, there is no NHL team that can match them.  That was just an awesome display of excellence at every facet of the game.  One of the announcers said it best -- the Coyotes must have felt like there were 10 Wings on the ice at all times.