Playoff Hockey

Jeff,

You are right, Sid is the real deal and I remember the comments from Babcock. Also, no matter how many points, goals, or +/- Ovie is, he will not be near Sid until he wins the big one.

But I'll say one thing, I sure wish the Caps had not won the President's Cup. It has really put a target on their backs. It seems like everybody in hockey land hates them. And the funny thing is, they don't have a goon or any bad guys on the team. I know Ovie got dinged by the league but he was just playing a little too hard. I don't think there was any malice intended. I'm not sure how they got to be Public Enemy No. 1.

No matter what the outcome, tonight ought to be fun to watch.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• x Bred Pointer

It seems like everybody in hockey land hates them. I'm not sure how they got to be Public Enemy No. 1.

Hmmm... I certainly do not hate them. In fact I actually rooted for them for years (behind the Habs of course). My affection for them was based on their record of a meagre 8 wins in their first year of operation. I mean how can you NOT love a team that made Mike &%cking Marson their first pick in franchise history?? The Habs actually tried to help them by sending along Rod Langway ( Norris Trophy winner, hall of famer), Craig Laughlin and Doug Jarvis) very early on. That trade gave them instant credibility because these guys were winners with a capital "W".

For a Hab fan like myself, I scoff and snort at the Leafs, I wish all kinds of ill-will for the Bruins but I absolutely HATE the Flyers. To me they represented all that go wrong when certain people with a screwed up mentality get a hold of a franchise. I mean c'mon, the Broad Street Bullies? Bobby Clarke? Paul Holmgren? Dave Brown?

Jeff,

You are right, Sid is the real deal and I remember the comments from Babcock. Also, no matter how many points, goals, or +/- Ovie is, he will not be near Sid until he wins the big one.

But I'll say one thing, I sure wish the Caps had not won the President's Cup. It has really put a target on their backs. It seems like everybody in hockey land hates them. And the funny thing is, they don't have a goon or any bad guys on the team. I know Ovie got dinged by the league but he was just playing a little too hard. I don't think there was any malice intended. I'm not sure how they got to be Public Enemy No. 1.

The Presidents cup is a Curse come playoff time.  Look through the books.  I want to say that in the last 10-15 years, the Presidents Cup winners have only won the Stanley cup 2 times, and both times it was Detroit.  ( if my numbers aren't exactly right don't shoot me, but they should be pretty damn close)

Jeff,

The Presidents cup is a Curse come playoff time.  Look through the books.  I want to say that in the last 10-15 years, the Presidents Cup winners have only won the Stanley cup 2 times, and both times it was Detroit.  ( if my numbers aren't exactly right don't shoot me, but they should be pretty damn close)

Am with KD, the President's Cup is a heavy weight to bear into the playoff's and great expectations add tons to the burden.  & I don't hate the Caps either.  I can't even recall a note where anyone chimed in with "hate them Caps" kind of vibe.  Other than the Phlyers, there are no other teams I even dislike.  And I don't even dislike the Wings.  It's being from Pgh which I believe it's in our genetic code.  Born in W PA, hate Phlyers.  

BTW KD, I'll see your Talbot and Orpik and raise you Holstrom, Franzen and Bertuzzi.  Those two Pens are a pair that could beat your 3-of-a-kind.

There it is. The Caps go down. All I can say now is

Go Habs!!!

I think now I understand what people mean when they have been saying all year long that the Caps were not built for the post season (I probably mistook that for not liking the Caps). A defensive minded team with a hot goalie just took the mighty offensive juggernaut down. I remember one of my high school football coaches used to say if you don't let the other guy score at least you will tie.

What a great game though. The Habs were just completely stifling defensively.

Is there anything better in sports than the Stanley Cup play-offs? Well spectator sports. I know bird hunting beats it every time.

gselkhunter

Ben you got your wish! Make Sids life hell, the boy needs a dose of reality. I really don't like the Pens.

If Detroit keeps skating and passing like last night they win over the Sharks in 6.

VAN/CHI I would like to see Van win but I think CHI will in 7.

Philly is missing key components, Bos in 5

MTL is going to have two play even better now against the Pens. MTL needs to steal a game in PIT in the first two. Winning both would be better. MTL in 7.

They slew the fearsome Caps Dragon, but I think the Pens are maybe more dangerous. The Caps are the most talented collection of talent in the league and got the most points in the regular season standings, but they weren't necessarily the best "team".

The Habs and 7th games are like peaches and cream, sunshine and roses, fish and chips. They naturally go together.

They slew the fearsome Caps Dragon, but I think the Pens are maybe more dangerous. The Caps are the most talented collection of talent in the league and got the most points in the regular season standings, but they weren't necessarily the best "team".

The Habs and 7th games are like peaches and cream, sunshine and roses, fish and chips. They naturally go together.

Hugely surprised by tonight.  The Caps really put on a show of firepower and really, I thought their play in their own end was very good especially w/o Poti.  So was the goaltending, Varmalov was tough.  And what a great game!  2-1 doesn't sound great but you just had to see it.  Halek was awesome, Hal Gill was pretty close behind.

Well Ben, this is the setting you wanted before the run started but who'd a thunk it would be in Rd 2.  This should be a good series coming up.  Believe they start on Friday.  No way I make any predictions, not that I don't have an inkling.  Bad news for me -- on Sunday I leave for a week in Monte Carlo on biz -- will miss too many games.  The dvr will be smoking while I'm away.

Best wishes to you Mr Hong.  Yet all in all, I say

GO PENS!!

gselkhunter

The one thing that stands out in play off hockey isn't where you were in the standings but how you were playing to get there. A healthy well grooved team will win, where a team that believes it should win will fail. Look at the Sharks, they are a good example of a team that has all the pieces but never could make it fit. Teams coming from the bottom of the list are dangerous and have won cups in the past.

Fight on MTL.

yep, its about peeking at the right time, and just out playing your opponent each night.  The standings are consistantly indicators of who is who.

Once again I sit here without a dog in the hunt. This allows me to sit back and watch with a more objective eye and try to learn more about the game of hockey. Plus listening to the people on this board who are very knowledgable about hockey helps alot as well. It seems to me that hockey and winning the Stanley Cup is very, very differant from all of the other sports.

The Caps and especially Ovie are going to get pounded (Semin and Green REALLY deserve it) by the local press. Mostly because they are all bandwagon jumpers and the other sports here in DC just suck. At the start of the year it was commonly known here that this team was still a year or 2 away from being where it needed to be. Then they started the offensive machine and everybody seemed to loose their collective minds. I just hope that they don't dismantle the team. I think McFee is too smart for that.

It is amazing that the top 3 seeds are done in the East. It just shows how even the teams were. Everybody is talking about a 1 seed never losing to a 8 seed when they were up 3 to 1. They seem to forget that the Habs were only the 8 seed by the slimist of margins and all of the Caps and Habs games during the year had been very tightly contested matches.

x Bred Pointer

I'm still in shock. I'm a die hard Habs fan and I'll admit I didn't give them a chance in that series.

Hopefully they can get semi rested for the tough Pens on Friday night.