what are you listening to today

The usual suspects:

Robert E. Keen

Roger Creager

Cross Canadian

Reckless Kelly

Although The Clash and Van Morrison post have searching the ipod.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• jmooney

• Lurch

• Steve Hunts

Pheasants Forever

Drive By Truckers!  Good stuff.

Recently, I've been spinnin: Rocky Votolato's True Devotion, Tim Barry's 28th and Stonewall, Drag the River's Bad at Breaking Up, Old Crow Medicine Show's Tennessee Pusher, Joey Cape and Jon Snodgrass's Liverbirds, David Bazan's Curse Your Branches, and Lagwagon's Live in a Dive.

Don Steese
Haggards new one. Good as the old ones...maybe better.
Discovered Seasick Steve as a guest driver on Top Gear. Gonna download some of his stuff today.
Briarscratch

I've been waiting for that Prine album to come out.  I'll have to find it somewhere soon.

Right now the soundtrack consists of Cardinals, Thrushes, Towhees and Grosbeaks.

New John Prine Tribute album by the Old Crow Medicine show.

John Prine was a guest on Elvis Costello's TV show last week. Still cool, and still a personal favourite of mine.

I recently re-discovered Eva Cassidy who never had a recording contract before she died. She truly had the voice of an angel.

Nils Lofgren, Neil Young's longtime sidekick, is on quite a lot in my house lately (check out his version of Young's "Birds").

A very young Canadian girl, Nicky Yanovsky, finally put out an album at the ripe old age of 16. Nicky has been performing on stage ever since she was 12, singing Ella Fitzgerald style jazz to great acclaim. To hear a 12 year old girl sing scat and do it well was otherworldly. She sang the Olympic theme song ("I Believe") and our National Anthem at this years Olympics in Vancouver.

Most times around the house I have opera on (my recent fave is Anna Netrebko), unless the Big Green Egg is smokin', then it's classic country or 'grass. Somehow 'cue and country are naturals together.

2 weeks ago I hosted for a bbq, about 20 retired geezers who are in my tennis fraternity. I thought the music should be show tunes, easy early 60s top 40 stuff, classical... How wrong I was, because someone discovered my vinyl record collection and we spent the rest of the day listening to everything from the Platters to Bobby Darin to Screaming Jay Hawkins to Zep to Hendrix to Miles (Davis),(Charles) Mingus and (Thelonius)Monk.

BradSouth
you can get the new tribute album the 25th of may its nice to know people in Nashville.
Briarscratch

I didn't think it was out yet.  I had its release date on my calendar.  I know Patterson Hood from DBT is doing one cover.

Stay dry.