REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

UPDATE: Raccoon Catchin

rprovines
For what it's worth, the @*$&^# coons can have the rest of ours. Finished freezing bushel #4 this afternoon. That's about enough.

Brad Eden
For what it's worth, the @*$&^# coons can have the rest of ours. Finished freezing bushel #4 this afternoon. That's about enough.

This may be a stupid ?. Do you freeze cobs whole or cut off the kernels and freeze. Whats your process?

rprovines

This may be a stupid ?. Do you freeze cobs whole or cut off the kernels and freeze. Whats your process?

It is, but I'm used to it.

I cut it off. Used the mandolin for some this year, went back to the knife. I've never a really good way to freeze corn on the cob that I like. I also canned a few pints this year, but not much.

Brad Eden
Thanks. Do you just store the raw kernels in ziplock bags or cook them first or what?

sdgord
I guess this is the first I have read about your racoon problem, taking him for several rides how sweet. I cant think of a person in South Dakota that wouldnt have dispatched that flea infested mobile Daniel Boone hat the first encounter. You sir are a true humanitarian and friend to wildlife. Hey Brad Adrian I will tell you what I really think .sdgord

trust me
Thanks. Do you just store the raw kernels in ziplock bags or cook them first or what?

I drop mine whole in boiling water for 2 minutes, take out and let cool, cut from the cop with a serrated knife and store in baggies and freeze, getting as much air out as possible.  Seems to work for me but I'm just going on what I seem to recall dear old mother as doing.

Thaw it out, cook on the stove until fully done, and you're there.

rprovines
take out and let cool, cut from the cop with a serrated knife and store in baggies and freeze

You might get away with that with an ear of corn, but I'd never attempt it with a jelly roll.

trust me
take out and let cool, cut from the cop with a serrated knife and store in baggies and freeze

You might get away with that with an ear of corn, but I'd never attempt it with a jelly roll.

Yikes.  One little innocent typo, and suddenly you're inside the chalk outline on the floor of the Dunkin Donuts.

Brad Eden
....Mighty good stuff in the dead of winter....

You have dead of winters out there?

We all look like your Avatar by February.

Brad Eden

Third or fourth day in eating sweet corn. It gets better every day. I'm at about 4 ears a day. Been taking photos for PC.

No sign of Stinky.

Cooter Brown
No sign of Stinky.

You mean the raccoon, right?

Or do you give names to...other things?

bosco mctavitch
Third or fourth day in eating sweet corn....No sign of Stinky.

WOW!  You must be eating a LOT of venison and cheese if there's STILL no sign of stinky!

quailguy

I guess this is the first I have read about your racoon problem, taking him for several rides how sweet. I cant think of a person in South Dakota that wouldnt have dispatched that flea infested mobile Daniel Boone hat the first encounter. You sir are a true humanitarian and friend to wildlife. Hey Brad Adrian I will tell you what I really think .sdgord

Yessir, ole Brad be joining peta next!

Coons at my place are normally greeted with 1 shot from a pretty good air rifle. Any returnees meet the 20 gauge.

ANF grousin
Third or fourth day in eating sweet corn....No sign of Stinky.

WOW!  You must be eating a LOT of venison and cheese if there's STILL no sign of stinky!

Stinky must like to travel.  I think he was close by hoping to taste some chili I had for dinner that night.  Maybe he was looking for some undigested corn I added to it.

mshowman
This thread could be the begining of something Genius.