REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

UPDATE: Raccoon Catchin

Brad Eden
:angry: Crap. I rarely have deer make their way down to my garden, never been a problem. This year I saw some of my peas and bean plants were snipped off. Aha! cloven hoof prints in the dirt. Figgered it was a deer just traveling through. This AM I went up to check and see if Stinky had made his way home and to pick potato beatles off my tater plants. What the!... green beans just coming in-pods a few inches long and more plant snippin and more hoof prints! I even put a silhouette Coyote decoy out there earlier and that deer aint ascared. Stinky Coon and now Bambo buck to contend with. What next Baloo the bear?

Trappercase
Yer gonna need a bigger Havaheart trap

rosies dad

Ah come on Brad, you live in the woods, the critters got to eat too.

I know there isnt a big enough fence to keep determined deer out.

I am following this with great interest. By the way, my garden had 2 tomato worms so far.

I didnt drive them down the road and release them unharmed. :blush:

rprovines
By the way, my garden had 2 tomato worms so far.

Heartless bastard.

Brad Eden
My best estimate is I have picked and popped or squashed a few 100 potato beetles the last couple days. So there. The tiny ones don't squirt real far but those bulbous engorged ones do. I hate it when the hardened shell older ones drop off to the ground when they see you coming. Smart buggers them beetles. I feel like a murderer but potatoes are a staple!

bosco mctavitch
I feel like a murderer but potatoes are a staple!

Hey, root vegetables and tubers have feelings too!  Too bad there aren't many vegetarians around here to make fun of now...

ANF grousin
By the way, my garden had 2 tomato worms so far.

Heartless bastard.

I hate it when I bit into and apple and only see half a worm.  Poor defenseless thing never had a chance.

henryrski
I had a rabbit in my herb garden but my bird dog killed it.

FlyChamps

Brad it sounds like you need a depredation permit.

Kill two birds with one stone - save your beans and venison in the freezer.

As for the coon - it's murder pure and simple - just SSS.

Wildcat
you guys are hilarious! Hey Brad, my wife puts dried hot red peppers all around her flowers and garden for the deer and elk here, it seems to work, heck even the cats stay out of it now.

sxsneubaum
I released my several tomato worms and potato beetles in the local vegetarian, animals should be free, ladies yard.

Briarscratch

Nice move John.  Very kind of you.

Brad, Champs is right.   You need a depredation permit.  And if you can't get one, I know people have good luck with those infra-red activated hose spray deals.  Especially when the hose is loaded with buckshot.  Got a game cam you can borrow?

rprovines
I released my several tomato worms and potato beetles in the local vegetarian, animals should be free, ladies yard.

+1

ANF grousin

I hate to piss off the animal rights people, so I spray my fruits and veggies before they are invaded.  Now if some bug decides to stop by for a quick snack and goes belly up, well he did it not me.

It would sorta be like Ol Jake standing guard in the corn patch at night.  Iffin Ol Stinky is brave enough to try and sneak by Ol Jake, well Brad cant be held responsible for the consequenses.

Brad Eden
Tonite I grilled a couple burgers and gathered some vegetables from garden; summer squash, zucchini, onion, green beans and peas-put it in foil and poured some soy, sesame oil, olive oil and crushed ginger over it and steamed that on the grill. Also sliced some large zucchini and grilled that. Wife was very happy when she got home from work. I am trying to soften her up in case Stinky wipes out the corn. No sign of him or the deer today.