REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

UPDATE: Raccoon Catchin

ANF grousin
OK, start laughing and feeling smug everyone. I found coon paw prints on the porch floor this morning. Big ones that looked very familiar. Crap.

Has Joann started packing yet.

PartridgeCartridge

Sometimes the simple solution is the best.

bntsetter
I don't know why PC but that is just so wrong.....I think it's the neck twist at the end.... :p

bntsetter
Despite the fact that the crosshairs on the Leupold looked off-kilter and it took three shots (embarrassing) the kiddies got to do the dead groundhog dance a few minutes ago.

I must be turning into a wussy.  The 3 year old and the 6 year old are hooting and hollering and I'm looking at the poor thing thinking about mortality.

I need a drink.

Scratch - I'm hearing you on this.  My 3yo is currently very interested in death etc.  

Last night after telling her we were having fish for dinner she asked if I killed it?

HUH? What no I didn't kill it.  

Then she proceeds to go into the fridge and find the fillets and ask where are the heads?!?!??!?!

Of course she ate like a trooper....

Kids....

bosco mctavitch

I found this little tidbit just now:

Raccoons are very intelligent and probably raid your garden but since you have room plant extra for them. From my experience they do not like green beans or carrots. They will dig in the dirt to eat any grubs or earthworms and can disturb your plants. Don't bother planting corn except for them. (you can plant a smaller patch just for the animals near to the fence. This might distract from the main garden). Teach both of your young ones, toddler and husband, not to go near the animals either to pet or chase.

Huh.  I guess raccoons like corn.

mshowman
We live in the middle of a dense woods where a garden just won't grow. Since my wife loves fresh tomatoes she bought a tomato plant in a movable basket that she can keep on the deck and move around enough to provide some fruit for salads. Something has started to come up on the deck and steal the tomatoes just before they're ready to pick. Now I'm starting to wonder just where Brad dumped that 'coon. I'm going to set the trail camera tonight and I'd better not find out he dropped that darn thing here! I'll be heading to Maine to deliver that masked devil back to it's rightful owner.

bosco mctavitch

Any of you guys catch the original Rambo?  Where the sheriff stops him on the way into town and drives him right on clear through town...and he comes back to wreak havoc?  

Not sure why that popped into my head.  Wierd, huh?

rprovines
What the hell, no, don't bother with the electric fence now. No, don't do it. Just because it's effective, that's no good reason. Nope, just let those *#$&%^# coons have that corn....

Brad Eden

Frick the coon. A windstorm blew down half my corn stalks yesterday. I usually use Maine produced Johnny's Seeds corn and they tend to be short like 6' or so max. This year I went for over the counter Burpee or something and the suckers are 7' plus already. Heavy thunderstorms/rain with tornado like bursts of wind did them in. I tried to lift them up and boot/pack the soil but a lot of them were snapped. Will corn still kernel if stalks are lying on the ground? Easier for Stinky anyhow.

I haven't told the wife.

Havahart trap unsprung last night even w/canned cat food as bait.

ANF grousin
Would you eat cat food if there was fresh corn laying around for you?  Duhhhhhhhhhhhh. :glare:

Brad Eden
Would you eat cat food if there was fresh corn laying around for you?  Duhhhhhhhhhhhh. :glare:

Good point. But the cobs haven't formed yet so he has no choice.

ANF grousin
Maybe you should replace your cat food with a can of Green Giant nibblets :upside:

mshowman

I eliminated most of the sprung trap issues when I started only opening the can of cat food half way, then wiring it near the back of the trap. The coon has to enter the trap farther to wrestle the food from the trap.

You might want to consider shooting him the next time you catch him. BTW, it is illegal in OH to transport and release a coon after catching it in a live trap.

brymoore
Brad - you need to forget about John J. Stinky and try to save your marriage.  Can you buy some local corn as pawn it off as your own to your wife?

valuman

Better yet, you could just raid the neighbors' gardens for their corn and then blame it on Rambo-Stinky. That way you win all around, your wife is happy with the fresh garden grown corn and she also gets to hear the stories from the neighbors about not being able to outsmart that wily raccoon.

:devil: