Your On-Line Handle

Some are obvious, like it's your real name. Some are pretty obvious as in, hunting related. Some are not obvious at all, at least not without some background. Some even seem dumb... like mine! LOL

I'll explain. Back in 2002, I decided it was time to quit cigarettes for the last time. I had quit many times before but hadn't really understood that I am a nicotine addict like some people are alcoholics. Being determined I was going to kick cigarettes once and for all and having quit before for as long as four years before falling off the wagon, I decided I would take up cigars as a sort of emergency/less damaging sometime replacement once I got past the initial physical withdrawal and habitual aspects of my addiction of cigs.

Well, in the age of the internet, where does one go to learn about and purchase cigars? Once I found a good on line cigar e-tailer, I discovered their forums. Since I was not ever thinking about having a big collection of pricey cigars like some seemed to, nor did it ever enter my mind that I'd be posting to forums for years to come, I chose a handle that conveyed that I was looking for bargains... valuman. In the world of cigar brotherhood I came to "know" a lot of people  and some of them frequented other on-line BBs, so I've used the same handle everywhere I register in order to be recognizable.

So, where does your handle come from?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• valuman

• Cooter Brown

I was wondering about your tag.  This illuminating enlightenment calls for the lighting of a Partagas short.

My name comes from an BDSM board I used to frequent.

I've hunted with the same group of guys for a couple decades.  Over that time nicknames have happened.  They aren't so much given as they simply happen and then stick.  We have The Captain.  He is the only one among us with a boat big enough for an engine.  Palm Tree is 6' 4"+.  HG is The Head Guide.  The one through whom we all met and the one who runs a guiding business.  I am not entirely sure where Phred comes from.  It may be linked to the sausage snacks called locally "Fat Freddies."  I have been told that adding the PH makes it a compliment.  But I will answer Phat Boy, Phreddie and Phred.

Phred

There is this obnoxious jerk in PA named Greg Hartman.  I use his name in my posts to give him a bad reputation.
I am fortunate to enjoy the friendship of Mike Stenstrom, who jokingly suggested my site name when I first signed on. So, there it is!
I was wondering about your tag.  This illuminating enlightenment calls for the lighting of a Partagas short.

My name comes from an BDSM board I used to frequent.

A Partie Short would be an excellent choice, right in line with my tastes.

:cool:

Now as to how you relate a short to recalling old times on your BDSM site... well I really would rather not know.

kind of like valuman, tmoneysju is a handle i use on most boards, started using way back and i'm not creative so i stick with it

tmoney - first name is kevin, last name montalto, was best friends with a guy named kevin growing up so to differentiate we got nicknames, mine was 'talto, don't know why, i didn't pick it, later on it went to tmoney

sju - i went to saint joseph's university

It is the name of my first bird dog who is pictured in my avatar.  My wife picked his name (from her favorite book--To Kill A Mockingbird) as part of the deal to get him.  It has turned into a theme with the addition of Scout and Boo.  Probably a Harper and a Jem in the future as well.  

It seemed fitting to use as a screen name too.

Well, I have a GSP named Rosie (13 old yrs now) and I am her "Dad". I also have Rudi and on another BB I am rudi'sdad.
 My wife picked his name (from her favorite book--To Kill A Mockingbird) as part of the deal to get him.  It has turned into a theme with the addition of Scout and Boo.  Probably a Harper and a Jem in the future as well.  

It seemed fitting to use as a screen name too.

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird This Afternoon.   Great characters, great names, nice tradition.

Don't forget Dill, Calpurnia and Miss Maudie.