Hornet Nest

PartridgeCartridge

PartridgeCartridge

So, I have one of these hanging in a tree on my front yard about ten feet over my sidewalk.

HornetsNest040911.jpg

Nasty little bastidges and very territorial. I've tried getting close to the nest at night but they still know I'm there and start to chase me.

I've cut a few down over the years, most with only mild mishaps/stings etc

But this particular colony seems pretty savvy to intruders.

I really don't want to get stung repeatedly.

Any tips/suggestions?

Oh, and for what its worth, I went to the local garden center and some hairy hippie chick suggested I get on a ladder with a trashbag with a drawstring and encircle the hive with the bag and pull the drawstring closed.

After a long silent moment she asked me if I understood her instructions.

I replied, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EFFIN MIND LADY?"

Any Ideas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• rprovines

• valuman

• ANF grousin

Call Terminix, worht paying someone not to get stung!

Only other option, go to the local fire dept and ask them to come by and blast from long range with the hose!

She is correct right thats the best and most kind hearted method.

Make sure you film it, a how to film like that will make you a celebrity... you always wanted to be famous didn't you

drummer's stump
first that is a yellow jacket nest, and the hippie chick was right. After it get dark just tell you son that you will give him $ 500 to put the nest in a bag, or you could put diesel fuel in one of those little garden sprayers and and torch it. I kinda like the rake idea, but regardless I want to come and watch. What ever you decide, I will give you support from inside the screen door
Call Terminix, worht paying someone not to get stung!

Only other option, go to the local fire dept and ask them to come by and blast from long range with the hose!

how bout you call your local financial adviser and tell him to come down and throw his calculator at it

:D

Bottle of likker and you can get Tim to do it.  With his new found athleticism, he can out run them when they get wizzed.

Leave it there until it gets cold and they vacate.  If you dont go after them, they wont go after you.  Schools love them to display in their rooms.  A few years ago I found 6 of them, this year, only 1 so far, and I'll never find my way back to that one.

I think a shovel would be a better tool than a rake.

That only works if you're standing on the top rung of a step ladder, but it's very effective.

PartridgeCartridge

I think I'm gonna cut it down with a pair of loppers, box it, wrap it in pretty gift wrap paper and send it to some UJ'er.

Maybe one that lives near Bangor.

Oh, and for what its worth, I went to the local garden center and some hairy hippie chick suggested I get on a ladder with a trashbag with a drawstring and encircle the hive with the bag and pull the drawstring closed.

After a long silent moment she asked me if I understood her instructions.

I replied, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EFFIN MIND LADY?"

Almost spit my coffee! Man I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one.  LOL!

Dave, I'm sure you have enough pieces and parts in your basement to build a serviceable flame thrower.  Let me know when the immolation is about to start, I'll stand by with a camera.  Tosh.0 here we come!

Leave it there until it gets cold and they vacate.  If you dont go after them, they wont go after you.  Schools love them to display in their rooms.

Be careful here. A buddy of mine once cut down a hornet nest in the winter to take home for display. He tossed it in the back seat of the car while they rode around doing whatever they were doing. Naturally the heat was on in the car which caused those white faced hornets to warm up and come outside to see what was going on.

I guess it took a while with the car parked and all the doors open to cool things off enough to find a new place to keep that nest.

Fur and Feathers

I had them build a nest about that size one year in my attic crawl space. They were flying in under the tin and crawling in the attic through a crack in a board. I waited for a nice cool day when they were pretty in active, dressed in full carhartts and a bug net. I let em have about 3 cans of the long range hornet and wasp foam spray to completely soak the nest before I tore it down with the bag method. Then caulked the crack shut. Glad no one was watching this procedure. I swell like crazy when I get stung so I wasnt chancing it. I dont do house calls so all I can offer is my experience. I suggest if you use the Carhartt method in your front yard and you have close neighbors you do it well after dark.Good luck.

F&F

Oh ya I called the "bug"  companies and they wanted 500+ to come and take it out.