Hornet Nest

PartridgeCartridge

bosco mctavitch

Definitely NOT a yellowjackets nest, that that is a white-faced hornets nest.  My favorite part of finding these nests is using various fruits and vegetables to describe the size.  So, first order of business, is this a canteloupe, a honeydew, watermelon, what?  

My brother and I used to throw things at the nest to really antagonize it...sticks, rocks, etc...then run away to a safe distance and watch the ensuing swarm.  If you're really good you can get a stick to actually penetrate the nest and stay there...the hornets love that.  Then my dad put the fear of God into me one day when he told us that the hornets had a directional sense, and that they could tell where the stick, rock, etc had come from, and would chase us down if we weren't careful.  To this day he insists he's seen it...I don't quite buy it, but I also can't seem to get that voice out of my head when I walk by a nest and eye that stick on the ground...

Pat Berry, as usual, has things right--he's obviously a seasoned pro.  These things are best done as a team, the point guy is on a stepladder with a shovel.  Backup guy has the wasp and hornet spray to get the enraged little suckers as they come hurtling out of the flying nest**.  Dave, this is where all your "10 steps to better game shooting" lessons come in handy--because hitting those little fast-moving hornets on the fly is all about the EYES--you have to have a good, crisp, hard focus, and not just on a single hornet (no covey shooting!!), you need to keep a hard focus on the white mask on your targets head.  Then, if you have a good consistent mount with the spray can you will leave nothing but a curled up shell of that stingy little creature.  Repeat as necessary.  It really is that simple.

Anyway, this is a real opportunity not only for an interesting addition to your man-room--I mean, who doesn't love a mounted hornets nest right over their new mountain lion for a touch of realism--but a fantastic chance to put your shooting skill on video for all to see.  Because it's one thing to talk about shooting hornets well, it's quite another thing to see it done on video so you cann get a real visceral feel for how it's done.  Perhaps you could get a group of people together for the lesson and then post the results here and use it as a real teachable moment for all of us?

**for a more party-like atmosphere you may choose to serve margaritas first and use the ladder/shovel portion of this operation as a pinata...now that's fun!   Que empiezan los juegos!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• rprovines

• valuman

• ANF grousin

PartridgeCartridge

This sucker is as big as I've ever seen. probably larger than a big watermelon.

Skeeves me right out.

I am busy still trying to rid my barn wall of a honey bee nest.

Id wait til it gets cold and they go dormant and cut it down and put it in your bedroom as a woodsy ornament.

Then I'll call and have have your wife set thermostat at around 80 degrees just when you get out of shower and head to bedroom to put on your boxers.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

just when you get out of shower and head to bedroom to put on your boxers.

And may I ask, how do you know what he wears?

Wait until it frosts they will vacate it once the queen goes underground. Then you can climb your ladder and snip it off the branch. I would leave it outside like in your garage or a shed possibly where mice cannot get to it.

I cut this one down in early October then left it in a non heated garage until the following Spring when I brought it inside. A few hornets did come out after I cut it down but they were sluggish and easily dealt with.

It now resides in my Man Cave.

Hornetsnest006.jpg

Hornetsnest008.jpg

Hornetsnest007.jpg

I get one or two of those each year by my house in late summer – don’t know why the little SOB’s don’t just make a nest out in the abundant woods.  I also get the kind that makes nests in the ground - those are harder to deal with.  You can't ignore them and wait until it's cold when they are right by the house.  I'm deadly allergic to stings, so at first I  used to hire an exterminator to get rid of them, but that’s costly, so I developed a method to do it myself.

What I do is first get a few cans of that kind of hornet spray which shoots a hard, strong stream out pretty far, as opposed to the stuff that makes sort of a fine mist.  Then, I make sure I have an escape path clearly lined-up, not blocked and no “traps” to trip over, locked doors, etc.  Then I get as close as I can and give the little buggers a good shot of the poison for a few seconds and run like hell along my pre-planned escape route (you are probably much faster than me) and get away before they can get organized enough to nail me.  

It takes several days to gradually chew them down like that, but they don’t seem to learn and eventually you’ll get ‘em all as they come into contact with the lingering poison.  Doing this does wreck the nest as a "collectible".  Then, you can just knock down the nest.

Or, I guess you could invite the lawn and garden babe with the trash bag out to your place (videos are required).

Carry on.

PartridgeCartridge
Hornetsnest008.jpg

They are actually beautiful creations of nature's art.

Except for that vile bitch and her evil minions that live inside.

White faced hornets are nothing to fool around with, very aggressive.  If you do decide to try the rake/shovel/bag removal method I'd like to have the pop corn concession for that day.

I'll wait til it gets cold and they go dormant and cut it down and put it in your bedroom as a woodsy ornament.

how'd  the short little phucker rate  a room at yur house? does it have a little name plate on the door? ..... or a beware of the demented dwarf  sign?

Call Terminix, worht paying someone not to get stung!

Only other option, go to the local fire dept and ask them to come by and blast from long range with the hose!

how bout you call your local financial adviser and tell him to come down and throw his calculator at it

:D

I'll be over - we can just toss it into my 401K

Yup, I had one of those in a family room once for decoration. Being the coward I am I waited until winter to harvest it. (We harvest things y'know) But you being the manly man you are, I really like that rake idea. THe shovel will do vast damage to it and probably knock it from the tree, but the rake... yeah, just enough to get their attention. You distract them... leave them the rake if you must, and send Tim in to pluck it from the branch once they're all out.

That or the high speed #9's. Folks here are gooooOOOood I'm tellin' ya, no lack of inventiveness.

What's wrong with that many knife he used in his avatar?  Where is that tough guy now.  Afraid of a couple little bees?
PartridgeCartridge

Terrified, actually.

So here is the rest of the story. This morning at 4:30 a.m. I went outside all bundled up and wearing a knit ski mask.

I had an extension lopper and a garbage can in the drop zone and a step ladder.

I was holding a maglight in my teeth.

Those extension loppers are kinda unwieldy and just as I was ready to cut the limb, I banged the limb and was immediately greeted by a swarm from Satan's armpit.

I jumped off the ladder and ran down the street squealing like a little girl.

I stopped about a block away and realized I was standing on a street, in an affluent neighborhood wearing a ski mask in the middle of the night.

That would be hard to explain to a cop.

I just found out there is a spray foam canned product filled with some ubertoxic, EthylMethylDeathyl bee killer juice and I'm off to buy a few cans this morning.

Part II will be forthcoming.