Hornet Nest

PartridgeCartridge

Can't beat a hornet's nest for good old fashioned entertainment.  

I don't know if they have a directional sense or not, but I know for a fact they can detect movement and will follow it great distances.  I happened into a bumblebee's nest as a lad and sprinted over 100 yards before I stopped, thinking I was safe.  Several seconds later I heard, "Bzzz, Bzzz" and then POP!  I got whacked 6 times on the back.

Just last night I used some permethrin to take out a jumbo wasp's nest in a vent on the house.  Backed the tailgate up to the wall, sprayed the vent, and stood stock-still while the sick little vermin stumbled out and flew off in random directions.  

I've taken out some hornet's nests before, but I always dressed in head-to-toe nomex jumpsuit, taped my cuffs shut, and tore the nest open with one hand while spraying liquid death with the other.  Never had a sting, and never left many survivors.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• rprovines

• valuman

• ANF grousin

the spray wasp/bee killer may also kill part of the tree.I hope you are not talking about Bangor,Pa. for the suprise package.

Definitely NOT a yellowjackets nest, that that is a white-faced hornets nest.  My favorite part of finding these nests is using various fruits and vegetables to describe the size.  So, first order of business, is this a canteloupe, a honeydew, watermelon, what?  

My brother and I used to throw things at the nest to really antagonize it...sticks, rocks, etc...then run away to a safe distance and watch the ensuing swarm.  If you're really good you can get a stick to actually penetrate the nest and stay there...the hornets love that.  Then my dad put the fear of God into me one day when he told us that the hornets had a directional sense, and that they could tell where the stick, rock, etc had come from, and would chase us down if we weren't careful.  To this day he insists he's seen it...I don't quite buy it, but I also can't seem to get that voice out of my head when I walk by a nest and eye that stick on the ground...

yeah, That ain't no yellow jacket nest!!   I have witnessed of what your Dad speaks. My younger brother, 2 cousis and I were squirrel hunting early oct one year when we came upon a large hornets nest in the crack of a large white oak. My brother was a zealous tormenter of bees (much to his detriment as well) so he just had to do some thing. He grabbed a stick and threw it tomahawk style an it was a strike sticking straight out of the narrow crack. He was about  30 yds laughing when we saw a cloud of hornets zooming down a woods road right toward him. we hollered and he started running, screaming at the top of his lungs. luckily he was running down hill but in about 40 yds he would hit the creek and have to run uphill. the cloud of hornets was literally a couple feet behind his head and i thought they would kill him when he reached the creek but when he crossed they stopped. They had him dead to rites but I guess it was the edge of their territory. I am crying right now remembering the look on his face.

As for taking care of the problem, just be sure there is only one exit hole in the nest ( usually only one in the bottom) . Then take 2 cans of wasp and hornet spray  (the jet spray stuff)  AT NIGHT and get in there where you cannot miss that hole. Start spraying in that hole and DO NOT STOP till the can is empty. Use the second can on the hole and to cover the outside of the nest, you will hear the hornets buzzing loudly in the nest and then subside . I have done this many times without injury. Any other method will result in death to the perpetrator.

Sounds like your in a neighborhood, so bird shot is out. I have used a portable bonfire started under the offending nest in the evening and tossed plenty of semi dried greens (like trimmed pine trees) and used the smoke to daze them before I covered their nest in foamed death later that same night.

pc

if you dress up like a wasp, im fairly certain with your size they'll consider you their new "queen" and then you can bring down their world, hehe

This could be as good as the trappin "Stinky" the coon thread. Maybe even better.
bosco mctavitch
pc

if you dress up like a wasp, im fairly certain with your size they'll consider you their new "queen" and then you can bring down their world, hehe

Not a bad idea...

hornetsnestwithapopawasp.jpg

Terrified, actually.

So here is the rest of the story. This morning at 4:30 a.m. I went outside all bundled up and wearing a knit ski mask.

I had an extension lopper and a garbage can in the drop zone and a step ladder.

I was holding a maglight in my teeth.

Those extension loppers are kinda unwieldy and just as I was ready to cut the limb, I banged the limb and was immediately greeted by a swarm from Satan's armpit.

I jumped off the ladder and ran down the street squealing like a little girl.

I stopped about a block away and realized I was standing on a street, in an affluent neighborhood wearing a ski mask in the middle of the night.

That would be hard to explain to a cop.

I just found out there is a spray foam canned product filled with some ubertoxic, EthylMethylDeathyl bee killer juice and I'm off to buy a few cans this morning.

Part II will be forthcoming.

Careful the neighbors will start talking.  People in affluent neighborhoods have "people" for that kind stuff.

A more adventerous person might climb to the top of the tree, drizzle honey down on to the nest, then wait for the coons or bears to remove it. I'd be more inclined to slip the exterminator a fifty and find the nest missing when I returned from work at the end of the day.
PartridgeCartridge
I'd be more inclined to slip the exterminator a fifty and find the nest missing when I returned from work at the end of the day.

In theory that sounds good, but in reality, the guys around here want $350 just to dust the nest. The removal is extra.

I'd rather shove my dooker in that nest before I'd pay that kind of highway robbery.

However, I might still go that route after a few stings.

Given my druthers, I'd ride a mean old mare or face a grizzly before dealing with these nasty little things.

I'm such a fraidycat.

stopped about a block away and realized I was standing on a street, in an affluent neighborhood wearing a ski mask in the middle of the night.

Come on out, I'll find ya a hornets' nest to work on, no affluent, effluvient maybe, but not affluent. No cops, no neighbors, got a ladder all ready for ya.

What's a dooker?

Urban dictionary defintion makes no sense. I have UD in my favorites list now since I actually started reading your posts.