Only buying American for 1 year

settersmt

Someone asked me this today...

For one year you can only purchase American made/grown products or go without. How easily do you think you could do it or how much of an impact would only buying American would make on your lifestyle?

We got sideways when we started talking about American manufacturers producing in other countries so for the sake of keeping this simple; the product has to be produced within the United States.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonS

• bosco mctavitch

• rprovines

• martyg

I think it would almost be impossible. This past weekend was doing a little project and we noticed that the 1/4 inch luan plywood we were using was made in China. Cheap luan plywood is made in China now, it is beyond absurd.
Cheap luan plywood is made in China now, it is beyond absurd.

well, we're not exactly growing a whole lot of tropical hardwood stateside, man.

There is plenty of other countries those trees are grown in, my point being it does not matter what you are buying these days its coming from China. You are correct that would be a tough product to buy American made on. I used that example cause after we noticed that there was a lengthy conversation about this very topic.

bosco mctavitch

Where does your gasoline (or the energy used to power whatever transportation you use) come from?  I believe it is mixed, and so no one gallon of gas is from any one place.  Does gasoline count in this excercise?

Also, many products made in the US (or wherever) have components or raw materials from overseas, and only enough is made in whatever country is on the label to satisfy the customs requirements...so you really can't tell for sure where a very significant % of each product you are buying is from no matter what it says on the label.  For the sake of an excercise like this the label is probably fine, but I still think it's a worthwhile point to make--it obviously won't be an easy excercise, but it'd be a whole heck of a lot harder if every part of the whole had to come from the US.

Not possible, well not unless you just buy food for a year.  Watch the talapia though, as it's all Chinese as well.  Stoped eating it the minute I found out.

I don't know if it is impossible but it sure is difficult and expensive. That said, I read a lot of labels and do my best.

BTW, I've almost totally given up scotch for good bourbon, and haven't bought a 6 pack of Guinness for at least 3 or 4 months.

Not possible, well not unless you just buy food for a year.  Watch the talapia though, as it's all Chinese as well.  Stoped eating it the minute I found out.

All of it is from China?   Really?

I don't know if it is impossible but it sure is difficult and expensive. That said, I read a lot of labels and do my best.

BTW, I've almost totally given up scotch for good bourbon, and haven't bought a 6 pack of Guinness for at least 3 or 4 months.

Are you getting the four pack pints?

BTW, I've→almost← totally given up scotch for good bourbon, and haven't bought a 6 pack of Guinness for at least 3 or 4 months.

Key word there, I know I tried!

I don't think it vould be done. But I've become very particular about any seafood I buy. A lot comes from China, Thailand,etc. and they don't give a damn about sanitary conditions.

I agree that it's probably not possible, even with the food. That's the fix we've let ourselves get into, all in the interest of making money...when China/Thailand/Taiwan/ whatever takes over the world, we will have only ourselves and the corporate world to blame.

Even if you're in a seaside restaurant in one of America's better known seafood states, like Florida, Maryland, etc., you're probably eating Asian seafood. Found that out with oysters in Maryland.

Yucch.