Only buying American for 1 year

settersmt

Chinese competition is formidable but India is the up-and-comer.   Wonder what annual regulatory cost per unit of production is for Mahindra, vice John Deere (for US content).

As a hospital pharmacist it scares me to see how much of our pharmaceutical production is going to India, especially antibiotics.

The majority of our heparin source is from China, mainly because they raise more hogs than any other country in the world, so think about the quality of handeling of the aminal product there.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonS

• bosco mctavitch

• rprovines

• martyg

I truely have not purchase any bottles of Guinness in the past few months. I have been polite enough to drink what friends brought to the house.

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Lenin once had a famous prediction. that "capitalists would sell us the rope with which we hang them."  I keep thinking of this when I think of China.  The chinese economic boom has come to a great extent as a result of US companies moving their production there over the last thirty years.  They have done this in order to minimize their costs and maximize their profits - regardless of its impact on the US.  The trillions of dollars of trade deficits we have run over the last thirty years with China have all been a subsidization of the Chinese economy by American consumers.  For the Chinese, this has been great.  For the US it has meant that US labor has seen its salaries drop and jobs go overseas.  As a result it has meant a drop in purchasing power by American consumers - and a bigger market for cheap, inferior products.  

It would be hard to buy all american simply because "US" business shipped entire US industries overseas.  Try buying clothing and textiles made in America?  toys? electronics?  I don't even think there's an american company that makes televisions any more - most of the "american" names are manufactured in china, korea, or taiwan.  

I buy American wherever I can - but unless something is done to stop businesses from exporting jobs and bring those jobs back home, it will become more and more impossible.

bosco mctavitch
Wow.  I had a giant rant about how consumerism is at the root of the demise of American manufacturing, but I don't think anyone wanted to read it.  Instead, I'll suggest that many of the institutions we as Americans have in order to help us as a nation and as individuals accrue wealth and become "better off" are essentially pyramid schemes that rely on continual growth in order to stay solvent, and that this growth might be something of a cancer that is leading to many of the issues brought up in this thread.
Wow.  I had a giant rant about how consumerism is at the root of the demise of American manufacturing, but I don't think anyone wanted to read it.  Instead, I'll suggest that many of the institutions we as Americans have in order to help us as a nation and as individuals accrue wealth and become "better off" are essentially pyramid schemes that rely on continual growth in order to stay solvent, and that this growth might be something of a cancer that is leading to many of the issues brought up in this thread.

Well, I have no clue about economics (just ask the Boss Hen), and pathetic little interest. Politics neither.  Awhile back, some guy was pushing the idea that economic growth was a major loogie relative to wildlife conservation.  I never did comprehend the arguments, but here is a reference in case someone is interested.

http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/9038....ion.pdf

we will have only ourselves and the corporate world to blame.

Uhh, when you get down to it, about one and the same, but it makes people feel good to not think of themselves as connected to the evil corporations. Those bastards, trying to make money so their stock will go up and they can make more money, and hiring people and stuff. Just p!sses me off.

WTF???

This is the second time in a month that I am in agreement with one of Provines' posts. (I gotta get out of Saskatchewan!!) :down:  :p

So what about energy products?  Is the oil they used to make your gasoline/heating oil from the USA?

Car parts if your vehicle breaks down?   You KNOW that is a bust since no car is 100% made in the USA.

How do you know your power company didn't buy some extra juice from Canada?

What about packaging material?  That counts too.

The only real way you can do it is to live off the grid in true subsistence form.  Like the Amish, only more extreme because you'd have to make/grow everything yourself.  Otherwise, I guarantee I can find something that is not made in the USA for anyone else who claims they did it.

Bingo!

I have to laugh when I see these threads.   You (we) all brought this on ourselves.  We all want the best goods at the lowest cost.  If you are not happy with the quality of goods coming out of Asia it is because the brand that you are buying from has low quality standards and no QA procedures.

Let me just say, as someone who spends a lot of time in Asian (and US) factories and works every day with Chinese nationals, that American's have forgotten how to work hard.  That we created this, and to quote Modest Mouse, "We built ourselves a pillow but we use it as a crutch."

Let me also say that for many consumer goods, the Made in America deal means a production facility full of Asians and Hispanics, who work their butts off, and / or American's who simply can't get work elsewhere.

I am reminded of the fork lift driver that was highlighted on national news a few weeks ago.  The dude was pulling in six-figures.  No wonder manufacturing has gone elsewhere.

PartridgeCartridge
Chinese competition is formidable but India is the up-and-comer.   Wonder what annual regulatory cost per unit of production is for Mahindra, vice John Deere (for US content).

I'm wondering what your agenda is here Don. Aside from some adversarial posts on the no tox subject, your contributions seem troll like. JMO

Charlo, I just read the first part of the article you posted. All he is saying is that continued growth of industry,housing,etc. will take away habitat and wildlife will decline. Nothing people on this board don't already know.

eliminate the corporate income tax, loosen all the unbelievable anti business regulations and eliminate or dramatically lower the capital gains tax

do this and you would have to hide under a rock to not be employed and the US would again be producing things

those companies go to where they are welcome

Almost Heaven GSP's
eliminate the corporate income tax, loosen all the unbelievable anti business regulations and eliminate or dramatically lower the capital gains tax

do this and you would have to hide under a rock to not be employed and the US would again be producing things

those companies go to where they are welcome

This is something I can certainly agree with. I don't think good wages are near as damaging as the tax burdens and such placed on Business's at the Federal, State and Community level.

Just an example, Cumberland, MD used to have a mfr plant for an extremely well known line of infant and childrens clothes. The owner wanted to build an extremely large addition on to the plant, but was having difficulties with local policies(Taxes on both he and his employee base, ie. City Tax, Property Taxes, School Taxes, etc.) and insisted that the community Gov. needed to re-evaluate their policies and how it negatively affected the local citizens and their abilities to make a fair living on the wages he offered, which were pretty darned good for the area btw, but the local Gov told him to take a hike in effect and that was exactly what he did. He moved his ENTIRE operation to Martinsburg, WV where the tax policies are both friendlier to the business and the citizen. He still lives nearby and I occasionally run into him. Last we talked, he missed the quality of the labor force here locally and did help those employee's that wanted to move with the plant, move; but he didn't miss the anti-business and anti-citizen Gov and Taxation policies. It's not a far leap to see why Co.s do the same on the International scale.

Not possible, well not unless you just buy food for a year.  Watch the talapia though, as it's all Chinese as well.  Stoped eating it the minute I found out.

All of it is from China?   Really?

Talapia is not all grown in China.  A friend of mine raised it in a barn in tanks on his property in Scott Co, IA.

Let me also say that for many consumer goods, the Made in America deal means a production facility full of Asians and Hispanics, who work their butts off, and / or American's who simply can't get work elsewhere...

Why should we care of the ethnicity or race of the person making our stuff?