REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
prairierat

Has upland hunting been abandoned?

Dave Gowdey

Bird Hunting will die before deer and turkey hunting IMO because the habitat and birds will be gone before deer and turkey are.  

Bird hunting needs to be saved, but not in the way this fellow is talking.  

It needs to be saved because without efforts to save our upland habitat and our birds- there won't be anything left worth hunting.  Just ask bobwhite hunters in the deep south.  It's already going.  

We can just sit back and watch it go - but to me that stealing from generations to come that should have the opportunity and ability to hunt if they so choose.

oldbird

IMG_0167-1.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Not if these guys have anything to say about it!

Kansas Big Dog
Bird Hunting will die before deer and turkey hunting IMO because the habitat and birds will be gone before deer and turkey are.  

Bird hunting needs to be saved, but not in the way this fellow is talking.  

It needs to be saved because without efforts to save our upland habitat and our birds- there won't be anything left worth hunting.  Just ask bobwhite hunters in the deep south.  It's already going.  

We can just sit back and watch it go - but to me that stealing from generations to come that should have the opportunity and ability to hunt if they so choose.

I can only speak for the main states that I hunt in: Kansas and Missouri.  The upland habitat in both these states has been on the forefront of the MO Dept of Conservation and the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks, and I have seen first hand the progress of their works.  Both of the Dept.s are targeting specific areas where quail numbers have been impacted the most.  These areas are SE Kansas and WC and NC Missouri.  Along with these conservation efforts, the NCRS has enlisted a large number of farmers to enroll some of their land into buffer zones.  In these zones, the land is planted into native warm season grasses that are excellent habitiat for upland birds that is missing in the upland ecosystem.  Even though the major near term impact on bird numbers has been late spring weather, in my mind, from what I have seen, there is a future for bird hunters in KS and MO.

Kansas Big Dog
IMG_0167-1.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Not if these guys have anything to say about it!

Yeah baby!

Downtown Bang!

X100

Sometimes I find myself wandering why more bird hunters don't belong to DU, PF, RGS, TRCF etc.  But then I read a thread like this and know why.

mshowman
Sorry about my effed up post from yesterday afternoon. You get a few measley tornados touching down, basements flooding and chit blowing through windows and the first thing you know folks start acting like it's an emergency or something!