REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
prairierat

Has upland hunting been abandoned?

Curt
Yeah, that's what we need alright, an "Upland Commander" tv show to promote growth in our sport.  God, if you're really out there... save us!

erik meade
Haven't you been looking around U.J. long enough to know that we don't photoshop.  We use MS-Paint

lee sykes
I volunteer for the grassy knoll when the Upland Commander makes his debut.

Marc

61pjj1JQNwL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....=59416;

Title: Serious Grouse Hunting Book 1

Author: Jay C Kumar Brendan T. Haines

Format: paperback

ISBN: 978-0-615-37059-0

Publisher: Sasquatch Media

Number of Pages: 244

Publication Date: July 2010

Curt

I'll take the overpass.

Brad Eden
I'm working on the ZZ Top beard and a snear. But I missed a chip shot on a measly Woodcock today so I'm out.

rprovines

As for a firm that pushes the right marketing buttons (IMHO), check out the cover of the recent Filson's catalog.  Not a whole lot of holler'n going on there (as my wife said, "another middle age guy fooling around with his dog in the woods") :

home-hero-blaze-orange-Oct1v2.jpg

Same for the Tri-Tronics print ads (couldn't find it on the web).

Proof that the marketing will reach the grouse snobs, despite their claims. Been more damned tin cloth and strap *#$^%@ vest threads than there have been *#&$^%@~ pheasant load threads, and that's friggin' bunch. Don't sh!t yerselves or feel too regal, someone hits the right buttons and we'll all be droolin' over some show. What the heck was the show Brad did the podcast with? Disremember right now. And Dez Young, used to be a lot of threads hashing out his shows. Every new product comes along everyone jumps on, hard to find a piece of woods without damned beepers going off in it and every other dog ya see has a frigginwhatchamacallit so's folks can find their dogs. Someone will get all this stuff canned and put it out and we'll be like a dog on a gutpile.

Iver

Ok I read all four pages.

Feeling a little drained.

Seeing as my current upland tradition is throwing a tennis ball into the South China sea for Iver to retrieve I think I am OK without a Grouse Commander.

Coming from Canada I am not sure what all the hand wringing is about when it comes to numbers of hunters, and diminishing hunters... but I have this feeling it is a worry about a reduction in lobbying power to keep public space open for  hunting, or possibly a reduction in the number of pheasants released into the put and take states?

I might be the minority but I am good with taking my son and daughter and introducing them to bird hunting, if they choose not to follow, OK.    I am probably missing something but I feel no burden to build up the sport for future generations.   Any statements along those lines are purely for the folk that want to sell me stuff.

I guess it is time to throw the ball into the sea for a bit.

valuman

I might be the minority but I am good with taking my son and daughter and introducing them to bird hunting, if they choose not to follow, OK.    I am probably missing something but I feel no burden to build up the sport for future generations.   Any statements along those lines are purely for the folk that want to sell me stuff.

This is pretty much the way I feel as well. Most folks just won't get what we do and that's especially true of young folks. By introducing them to it, letting them make their own choices, they might just decide to take it up after they grow older and settle down a bit... or not. It really doesn't matter to me. I cannot instill passion for our sport in someone who doesn't feel what I do.

And whomever said he hunts the uplands to escape the marketing hucksters, I'm with you. It is those folks who are speeding the ruination of our world.

Matt Crawford

I call the window seat in the book depository.

quailguy

Correlation does not equal causation.

What I mean by that is, if what is said is true, that upland hunter numbers are falling I am pretty sure the solution is not as simple as more - better PR & TV shows.

I do not watch many, ok any, hunting or fishing shows but are there any fly fishing shows?  I think fly fishing is more analogous to upland hunting then whack and stack type hunting.

Locally I would say "clean" farming practices, lack of support buy Wildlife dept (granted that is politics) and access on private land is the primary cause of drops in numbers (mostly talking about pheasants).  

So I am saying I think lack or access and lack of bird is more and in issue then no 'cool' tv shows

Bill

Lack of convienent access to good bird populations is a big problem. Dave Gowdey pointed this out in another thread.

Back when a kid could whistle up his dog and hunt out the back yard and shoot a box of shells and get 8-10 quail (or whatever) it was easy for folks to get into bird hunting. It was fun, lotsa action and shooting and the access was so easy.

Nowadays you can't hunt the neighbors place; its leased, and the number of game birds of any kind is down. Way down in too many places. There was a post on grouse hunting just a few days ago that summed it up: something like; we went out got 14 flushes, 4 shots and got one bird. You gotta be a hardcore nutjob bird hunter to put up with that day after day.

99% of kids need more action that that.

Down here in south Texas we have world class dove hunting. Its easy to get access (just pay the man), there are huge numbers of birds, and you get to shoot a lot. There are many younger people there having fun.

Its an entirely different thing to have a coupla dogs, feed and work them all year just to get 14 flushes, 4 shots and 1 bird in 6 hours.

nickwilliams

Maybe you could get Bob Redford to do a movie about bird hunting, that would "fix it".

"A woodcock flies Through it"

Brad Eden
Maybe you could get Bob Redford to do a movie about bird hunting, that would "fix it".

Not challenging enough.

Backlash

Not challenging enough.

A Himalayan Snowcock Runs Through It?