REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
prairierat

Has upland hunting been abandoned?

Brad Eden
A Ruffled grouse in a tree.

Backlash
Maybe a movie about Standing Rock.  The Perfect Swarm of 9's?

rprovines

Maybe you could get Bob Redford to do a movie about bird hunting, that would "fix it".

"A woodcock flies Through it"

Not challenging enough.

A Himalayan Snowcock Runs Through It?

Petey Walked Through It? And then up my arm and onto my shoulder and sh@t on my head and....

trust me
I volunteer for the grassy knoll when the Upland Commander makes his debut.

I call the window seat in the book depository.

I guess that leaves me with the frontal assault using grenades and short barreled shotgun.  But all I have are low brass 7.5's...

AndyM

I'm in agreement that if a show was produced that could depict our type of upland hunting in the same way Lee and Tiffany, Robertson, Winkleman, Barta, Maas, Larry Weishuhn, Chuck Adams, ect...

If they make it, we will come.  There may be a few on here that will lament the passing of the sport as they knew it, but for the most part we will crowd around it like we have with this UJ site.

AndyM

Downtown Bang!

I agree with a couple points made in the piece. Upland media does need a complete overhaul and without some segment of the upland universe finding some way to stand apart and energize it upland hunting may well slowly expire.

Completely agree that the guy responsible for "Loudmouth Bass" isn't who I expect to get it done. Last thing any of us need to see on Outdoor Channel is Mark Zona yapping constantly while leading a group of Bass Fishermen and Nascar Drivers thru a milo field in a SD preserve. No doubt that formula would include a dozen impact shots a minute with cartwheeling roosters & floating feathers silhouetted against a clear blue prairie sky. All of course punctuated with hoots, hollers and high fives.

At the same time as much as I enjoy some of the episodes Tom Knapp, Randy Lack, Dez etc. cannot be the face of upland hunting. There is just no future in that. Upland video media needs a younger, enthusiatic personality who can highlight innovations in the sport while still paying homage to the traditions. I thought Harley Jackson made a decent effort at that with American Gun Dog (there was even occaisonal fist pumping) but didn't quite pull it off. Maybe an Iaconnelli type character without the bursts of immaturity and extreme obnoxiousness?

Print media is much the same. What 25 year old is going to sit down and read piece after piece about fine english side by sides they likely can never afford. Or the countless stories about driven shoots and tweed trousers. Hell I don't enjoy them how can you expect anyone under 30 to relate.

I'm not sure if the cause and effect is quite as Kumar portrayed it but I am certain that the lack of an innovative and energized mainstream upland media is a pretty bad sign for the sport.

Skunkedalot

I can only speak for CT. My club has a long waiting list.

We have the only hunting property with decent cover that holds birds through out the season

We have birds year round as we flush them in the spring and suimmer when training the dogs.

Quality Hunting in CT is strictly a club event. Public hunting suffers from lack of suitable cover,birds and too many

hunters. We used to have quality grouse and woodcock

and there are still pockets but for the most part- the birds are gone.

We also note that the club is graying and that the sons and daughters are not interested in joining and carrying on the tradition.Very sad for someone like me who lived for the sport since I was old enough to carry a shotgun.

However, we still have a waiting list and can find enough guys with dogs who wish to pay for the chance for a bird or two.

Thank God for Brad and this site keeping the old tradition alive.

trust me

With due respect to Brad, his site is not keeping the tradition alive.  He's providing us with comaraderie and grabasserie, sure, but we each keep the tradition alive.  If Brad shut the site down, I'd be hunting regardless.  Each of us would, and we'd be taking friends and family with us.

I don't recognize a single media-hack name mentioned in the post above.  I don't watch TV.  I don't need media in any form to keep my upland tradition alive.  I can introduce friends and family to the sport and have done so.  They like it or they don't, just like anything else.  I find it very shallow and superficial to think that media coverage is required to keep upland hunting alive.  It survived without media for hundreds of years and will continue to do so.

What it won't survive is lack of hunting access.  The commercialization of deer and turkey hunting is a direct contributor to the loss of land access.  God help us all if we grow the sport to the point we are concerned with grouse leases.

rprovines
With due respect to Brad, his site is not keeping the tradition alive.  He's providing us with comaraderie and grabasserie, sure, but we each keep the tradition alive.  If Brad shut the site down, I'd be hunting regardless.  Each of us would, and we'd be taking friends and family with us.

I don't recognize a single media-hack name mentioned in the post above.  I don't watch TV.  I don't need media in any form to keep my upland tradition alive.  I can introduce friends and family to the sport and have done so.  They like it or they don't, just like anything else.  I find it very shallow and superficial to think that media coverage is required to keep upland hunting alive.  It survived without media for hundreds of years and will continue to do so.

What it won't survive is lack of hunting access.  The commercialization of deer and turkey hunting is a direct contributor to the loss of land access.  God help us all if we grow the sport to the point we are concerned with grouse leases.

Damn, that was particularly well written. For you I mean....

lee sykes

Right on!

erik meade

I can only speak for CT. My club has a long waiting list.

We have the only hunting property with decent cover that holds birds through out the season

We have birds year round as we flush them in the spring and suimmer when training the dogs.

Quality Hunting in CT is strictly a club event. Public hunting suffers from lack of suitable cover,birds and too many

hunters. We used to have quality grouse and woodcock

and there are still pockets but for the most part- the birds are gone.

We also note that the club is graying and that the sons and daughters are not interested in joining and carrying on the tradition.Very sad for someone like me who lived for the sport since I was old enough to carry a shotgun.

However, we still have a waiting list and can find enough guys with dogs who wish to pay for the chance for a bird or two.

Thank God for Brad and this site keeping the old tradition alive.

From the way you describe it, I think I would give up hunting in CT rather than participate in what, evidently, bird hunting has become there...  It certainly doesn't match the "old tradition" that comes to my mind.  I guess traditions differ from place to place.

I hope, if I were in that situation that I would save my money to take trips out to wild bird hunting, than to have to join a club so I could shoot released birds.  Or work to improve whatever grouse habitat remains or ?

erik meade

Right on!

+2

Downtown Bang!

I don't need media in any form to keep my upland tradition alive.  I can introduce friends and family to the sport and have done so.  They like it or they don't, just like anything else.  I find it very shallow and superficial to think that media coverage is required to keep upland hunting alive.

First of all your not who needs to be reached.

To say that media matters is not shallow or superficial. It is practical. Media matters in how we participate in, enjoy or view many things.

Is word of mouth and family influence really the only information americans use to choose elected officials, their favorite sports teams, their career paths or how they spend discretionary dollars? Not likely.

Media is absolutely part of the engine and I think is has particular influence when it comes to hobbies and entertainment. I don't agree with a lot of things Kumar said but being ignored by mainstream outdoor media is not a good thing for upland hunting.

Your absolutely correct that we all need to do our part to "pass it on" but the trends and demographics don't make that a very good bet. Upland hunting participation rates are falling at a greater rate than hunting in general. The average age of upland hunting participants is rising rapidly. That is some big obstacles to overcome at the purely grass roots level.

It will take multiple cogs in the wheel to re-energize the sport. I hold out some hope that maybe the conservation organizations can provide some of the necessary spark. Good upland bird habitat is a healthy & diverse ecosystem for many plants and animals. That needs to be selling point.

Good upland bird habitat also allows for reasonable consumptive use of natural & renewable resources. You can still produce food, cut timber, drill for oil\gas or graze cattle etc. etc. in it as long as you do it responsibly. And if you do all of those things responsibly we can have clean water, clean air and meet human needs for a long time to come.

erik meade
I don't agree with a lot of things Kumar said but being ignored by mainstream outdoor media is not a good thing for upland hunting.

It will take multiple cogs in the wheel to re-energize the sport....

Downtown,

I guess my question is what makes you think that the upland hunting is in need of re-energization?

Backlash

Right on!

+2

+3