Realistic expectations for your deer.

Michael Stenstrom
I too like spending a lot of time in the woods. I am sure I would be more picky if I lived in a place with a lot of deer.  My opportunities to travel in the past have shown me that.  I've been lucky enough to get to Texas twice, but have come back with nothing because I was waiting for a "trophy" to bring home.  It is easy when you are seeing multiple deer a day, many bucks, to wait for a mature deer to show.  Around here that is not really possible.  Seeing a deer is a great thing, especially one standing still enough for a clean shot.  This year I have a bonus doe tag, I hope to fill that early and then get to "play" with no pressure for the rest of the season.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• lee sykes

• Michael Stenstrom

• atticus

Muzzle Loading opened here on Saturday I was able to get out on Sunday and was hunting a area that I know has at least 2 nice bucks in it.  I hope to get the chance to take one of these Bucks with a handgun so right now I am hunting Does.

I have 3 tags here in my zone 2 have to be Does.  I like Venison so I want to get some in the freezer this year.  Should I get lucky and get more then one deer I will donate the extra venison to the local shelter.  The State has made a arrangement with a local butcher that if you bring them a deer and donate it they will butcher it for no cost and the food bank gets all the meat.

With any luck I can be back in the woods tomorrow evening before the Gun Club meeting :D

hallpresevebuck.jpg

This is the reason I am still bowhunting in Expanded Zone. Taken under one of our stands on my buddies property. Less than 100 yards from his house and if this was daytime you'd see houses in a development in the distance behind the buck. Urban bowhunting at its best. No firearm discharge area. Three does are also hanging in same area.

While someone once told me "never pass up something on opening day that you wouldn't pass up on closing day..." I did pass up a doe last season within the first several hrs of the season....only because I didn't want my deer season to end so fast.

Luckily I managed to tag something later in the season but I can tell you that I was abit nervous every single evening thereafter as I walked out of the woods with a tag still in my pocket...wondering what have I done since I love having venison in the freezer.

Am heading out this Saturday for a week at a deer-camp and I'd like to think I'd do the same thing again....unless of course, something with a maple tree stuck to its' head happens to walk out in front of me in the first few minutes.  All that nostalgia stuff....out da' window.

Cheers,

T2

Does are by draw only in my area, and you have to shoot the doe first. If you shoot a buck, the doe tag is null. I was lucky enough to get one (a tag, not a deer) because it is very much a shoot what you see situation. That is why I was so happy to get my 210lb 8-point last year.
Literally can kill a doe any day I want so no hurry. I typically let many 8s to a smallish ten or so walk every year as well as many small bucks. Kill only bucks I will mount or wounded/ injured. Every grouse is an absolute trophy though.
I have been living and hunting in Maine since the late 70s and so when it comes to deer, am well seasoned in a few things. First, it is a difficult deer hunt here in the Pine Tree State. If you see a deer, you better be ready to take it, because you probably will not see another. But for me, it is most important to relax, and enjoy the experience of being out, that is the gift. Due to my present circumstance, I don't get out as often, and so appreciate every opportunity that comes along.

We've had some bruisers on camera the past couple years, but no real big ones in the freezer yet (the big ones seem to jump the Wabash into IL on Sept 29th). Until last friday anyway when my hunting partner took a nice 11pt with his bow.

I was out in the stand most of the day saturday. Saw a lot of movement in the afternoon, but it was a family of Amish folks :blues:  picking walnuts and dropping them into 5 gallon buckets.

I have a really good spot here in western PA, and I can expect to at least see a trophy buck back there every year.  I have been bow hunting there since about 1990. The area that I'm allowed to hunt on is probably only about 100 acres.  That's ok, it's surrounded by private land that has absolutely perfect whitetail habitat.  I'm lucky to have it.  

Although I haven't hunted there for the last couple of years because I have a new bird dog that I'm having fun with. :D   

Here is the nicest buck I got out of there.  Field dressed he weighed over 200.  Official score of 141 P&Y.

hunt1.jpg

I have killed and seen several others that are not quite that big, but still big mature bucks.  Can't wait until I have more time so I can bowhunt and bird hunt. :down:

RealIstically, I expect to see does, and maybe a small buck or two. Realistically, I also expect them to be out of range when I am carrying my bow, and after or before shooting light when I am carrying a firearm.

This year I am deer hunting more seriously than I have in a while. I have three stands in,one of which is a climber, and a ground blind. I've scouted more this year, and two of my stand sites are a considerable distance into the woods, away from the other hunters. I'm trying not to hunt any one site too much, and if the weather and wind isn't right I take the dog and go bird hunting (elsewhere).

I, realistically, expect to shoot a nice deer this year, either a buck or a nice doe. There are a few nice bucks running the wood lot I'm hunting. One big 8 which was jumped Saturday by a friend going into one of his stands. Unfortunately, to get to this stand he's got to skirt one of my stands. The buck was jumped from a bed estimated to have been about 40 feet in front of my stand. There is also a big 10, and a big 12. Doubt I'll see any of them, but feel my tactics are sufficient enough to kill a smaller buck.

I'm a meat hunter first, so any deer will do, but I'd be happy to hang some antlers on the wall. Nothing huge. I'd be happy with a symmetrical 6 pointer.

If the past is any inidication, I will see a bunch of does and XX 11-pointers in the zones I don't have a antlerless permit for.  

The big bucks will roam through my back yard.

I hunt whitetails in 3-4 states; IL, KS, MO and TX. The areas I hunt have pretty nice deer density numbers and I feel very fortunate to have access to premium deer country. I’m used to seeing anywhere from 6 – 30 deer in a sit. My wife and boys hunt, so we’re never short on meat. I tend to focus on hunting horns for me personally. I’m not going to sling and arrow or send lead at a deer unless it is a 160 class deer or better. I’ve killed plenty of deer in the 120-150 range and want something bigger.  

IL and KS – Both locations have the potential for 160–200 inch deer and can weigh close to 300 lbs. My early season elk hunt usually pulls time away from hunting either state. I hunt IL for free and usually go every other year when I visit my folks during the holiday season. I picked up a lease in KS this year. I hope to get up there in the next 2 weeks and hammer a monster.

MO – I hunt a family farm consisting of 650 acres. Antler restrictions implemented 6-7 years ago are really showing results. This year, trail cams photos are showing 5 deer in the 160 range and two pushing 170. The deer are big bodied in MO too. Last weekend my boys turned 7 and 10. I took them to MO for the youth season. My 10 year old had a 160 class buck walk straight in on him to 10 yards. Ethan couldn’t get an ethical shot off and passed. The deer was facing him and it was too close to the blind. He had trouble getting enough angle on the deer due to the wall height of the blind. He had it in the scope, but didn’t feel he was steady enough and didn’t like the angle the deer was facing him. I’m so proud of his decision. That same morning, his 7 year old younger brother shot this deer pushing 300 lbs on his birthday – we named it the birthday buck.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

TX – I have a “kid lease” in E TX where my wife grew up for my boys to hunt deer and hogs. It’s cheap ($500 per year). The duck hunting is phenomenal. As we travel to see her family, it gives us a place to go. We see 20-30 deer each time out, but the racks are very small and so are the deer. Most does won’t dress out above 100 lbs. I’ve had very good deer leases in Texas in the past, but can get on better deer in KS for about a 1/3 of the cost. I’d rather spend my money on quail and turkey leases.

Around here it can be anything thats why I dont fool around with trail cameras

I like the surprise a big one showing up gives