• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• lee sykes

• Michael Stenstrom

• atticus

There are a few places I hunt where I expect to see deer, but without a doe permit it's pretty much a watching game.

of course, then I set my grandfather up in an area where I found some good sign, and...

1106101444.jpg

1106101444a%20%281%29.jpg

southwestern Maine's got a few good ones around.

Very Nice!

That buck is why us Maine hunters endure seeing so few deer. You just never know when a cranker like that will make an appearance.

Rack is outstanding. Did you get a dressed weight on him?

Looking at him on the ground I swore to the old man that he was going to go 210 or better. Thought he was gonna break down and cry (he's been after that patch since he first started hunting up here in the early 60's).

alas, scales don't generally lie (especially when you take it to 2 places to verify  :oops: ), and it dressed at 185.

Some of the nicest racks I have seen have come on bucks less than 200 pounds, and we grow 'em big here too.  That's a nice one in anyone's book!  

Conditions vary quite a bit here depending on whether you are hunting private land or public, and then whether it's some of the more heavily hunted public land or more remote with fewer hunters.  

Some of the most productive deer country by numbers gives you a good chance to see deer and take one, but if hunter numbers are high the chances of taking a real nice buck are slim.  Urban and highly developed areas tend to have lots of deer and a fair number of nice bucks.  Some of the more remote big woods country doesn't have as many deer but the % you see that are mature bucks will be higher.

Looking at him on the ground I swore to the old man that he was going to go 210 or better. Thought he was gonna break down and cry (he's been after that patch since he first started hunting up here in the early 60's).

alas, scales don't generally lie (especially when you take it to 2 places to verify  :oops: ), and it dressed at 185.

That's a damn good Maine buck at 185 dressed. Maine hunters are starting to adopt the emphasis on antlers like other states anyways and that's a once in a lifetime buck. I have 2 Biggest Bucks/ME patches, could have had 3 but never sent in paperwork for a third buck that was over 200 dressed. None had a rack as nice as that. Sorry for the brag but its one of my few accomplishments as a flatlander-transplant from MA.

PartridgeCartridge
We're do I send in to get the patch?  My buck this year probably weighed 250 pounds.

Mulies don't count.

We're do I send in to get the patch?  My buck this year probably weighed 250 pounds.

Live weight or dressed?

ME Sportsman magazine organizes this Big Buck thing, where if you shoot a Whitetail buck that dressed out at 200lbs or more and is weighed on a certified scale–and a form is signed–you get a Patch and name in the Biggest Bucks In Maine listing in that magazine that year. In Maine typically hunters could care less about rack size, its dressed weight that matters. But that is changing now with more emphasis on antler scores.

Live weight or dressed?

ME Sportsman magazine organizes this Big Buck thing, where if you shoot a Whitetail buck that dressed out at 200lbs or more and is weighed on a certified scale–and a form is signed–you get a Patch and name in the Biggest Bucks In Maine listing in that magazine that year. In Maine typically hunters could care less about rack size, its dressed weight that matters. But that is changing now with more emphasis on antler scores.

Brad, the Biggest Bucks in Maine Club pre-dates the Maine Sportsman magazine by a pretty long time.   I think It's a state thing. The results were published in the Maine State Fish & Game Magazine  over forty years ago, to my certain knowledge and there was no Maine Sportsman magazine back then.  I think the Maine Sportsman just publishes the results unless something has changed.

Live weight or dressed?

Brad, the Biggest Bucks in Maine Club pre-dates the Maine Sportsman magazine by a pretty long time.   I think It's a state thing. The results were published in the Maine State Fish & Game Magazine  over forty years ago, to my certain knowledge and there was no Maine Sportsman magazine back then.  I think the Maine Sportsman just publishes the results unless something has changed.

My transplant status of 24 years ago is showing. :blush:

Thats interesting-I thought it was all about the ME Sportsman magazine. Thanks.

Seen any hooved creatures yet Lee?

Rules are "Hog dressed".   All internal organs must be removed from the body cavity.  

I'm guessing a lot of deer made the 200 lb mark with the help of heart lungs and liver.