Realistic expectations for your deer.

Pheasants Forever

Is that two in combination of all seasons?  Or two with a bow,  or ?

Here you can get one antlered and one antlerless shotgun permit.

You can also buy as many bow tags as you want.  However I think you can only shoot two antlered deer total per season, no matter how the method.

Only two tags period.  Some zones you can two tags for archery and rifle seasons for that zone... some you can only pick one or the other.  Premium tags are on a draw only basis, and only if your lucky you get one of those.

The only folks allowed to kill flat heads are juniors... and it's a draw for them. Except for a few area... but again, you have to draw the doe tag if you want... which means you lose your points if you happen to draw.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• lee sykes

• Michael Stenstrom

• atticus

Crappy weather forecasted, particularly for NE Maine where my camp is. Rain, rain, rain. Went fri-mid day-anyhow w/muzzleloader (Last day for mzloader in that area is today).

Stopped cold by 2 feet of slimy mud at a new logging landing on camp road. Even in 4WD wasn't in the mood to get stuck in the middle of nowhere alone. (I had Jake w/me to bird hunt mid day Sat) Pulled truck over, slogged in on foot, road blocked by a huge feller buncher and a utility truck anyhow. (I had talked to logging operation on phone and he said they wouldnt block the camp road while cutting) Got to camp, checked it out, slogged back to truck.

Took Jake for a walk while fuming. I had a bunch of stuff in truck I wanted to get to camp; big wood box, sheet of painted plywood for soft spot on floor etc. Guy drives up going towards camp, stops and tells me he is mzloader hunting and watched 4 deer right behind my camp in field last afternoon, two big does and two lambs. (No doe permits in this area) Tells me the loggers from another operation down the road have seen 3 bucks in the area. I tell him he wont get into camp area due to mud and blocked road. He thanks me and heads back. NOW I really want to hunt the camp area this aft! Does=Bucks...

Then the utility truck that was blocking the road drives past me. I hadnt even seen anyone when I first walked in. Frick it--if that truck can make it through that wallow so can the Tundra. Drive in and fishtailed and floated and finally made it to some hard pack and camp. Still raining. Took care of the stuff I brought, didn't start a fire since the rain wasn't letting up and I decided not to sleep over.

Lit some oil lamps for Jake and headed out for last 1.5 hours w/mzloader. In rain. Sat and watched one field til almost end of legal--snuck through the edges of another field in rain and mist and fog at last light (Thats how I shot a spike in that field 2 years ago)

Nothing.

Gathered up the Jakestar, locked up camp and swam out to the main road and drove home.

Almost hit, and I mean by feet, a small buck on Rte 6 that was following an even bigger deer.

So I saw deer.  More than my expectations.

The End.

Yes, congratulations are in order. You did better than many of us.

I put together a new smokepole this off season.  A long slow twist barrel for patched round ball.  It makes BIG holes and shoots 10x better than me.

In much the same way that Atticus's new snowblower will ensure only frequent dustings this winter, this baby will ensure that I see absolutely nothing.

Walking in to my spot yesterday afternoon I jumped a lone deer and saw nothing but a bounding away flag.  I was thrilled to see it.  

Starting tomorrow it's muzzleloader season until the 31st.  I'll go out a few times with the TC renegade .56 and see if I can finally get one with a patched round ball.

At least I saw one!

I can not complain. I hunted my old haunt on the last day of the rifle season and didn't even see a fresh track. I have hunted probably about 10 hours in suburbia and have seen 5 Doe and 3 buck. I am not psitive but I think it was the same buck. I got a real good look at him this past week during muzzle loading. I had a Doe walking right to me and he was following. She didn't smell me but new something was wrong. When she stopped he stopped and what little bursh was around, he kept his vitals in back of it. The one time I came close to pulling the trigger, he looked my way and he had a really great 8pt rack. Even though the long tines made it tempting, I decided to there wasn't enough of him showing to take the shot. Let my friends hunt my honey hole the next day. Nothing in the morning but they got a shot at him at 3:30pm that night but missed. I went out on the last day to see if he would make one more mistake but the morning and evening hunt was a quiet one. As I said, I can't complain becuase I could have easily tagged out with a Doe and that buck gave me plenty of opportunity to put him on the game pole.

Our muzzle-loader season ended last night. I saw deer and/or moose nearly every day out, but no antlers for me.

Yesterday's hunt started off great, with light snowfall and enough on the ground for tracking. I started on a track at about 10:00, just when the snow turned to rain and by 2:00 I slipped and slid my way through the slush back into camp. I was completely exhausted and carried at least ten pounds of water in my wool clothing, but I had fun.

We'll get 'em next year!  :)

• 1 month later...
Missed Again!
Does the Benoit family still hunt in Maine every year?  They used to get huge bucks there every year. They have videos of some of the hunts.  To see them google "Benoit deer"
Does the Benoit family still hunt in Maine every year?  They used to get huge bucks there every year. They have videos of some of the hunts.  To see them google "Benoit deer"

Yes, they do and also in Canada.  

We also have the Maine Bernier son and father deer hunter celebs and a new deer celeb is Hal Blood out of Cedar Ridge Outfitters in Rangely ME.

"Almost hit, and I mean by feet, a small buck on Rte 6 that was following an even bigger deer."

Thats the only time it feels really good to miss!