Textbook

You did a great deed Alan in putting the buck out of it suffering enjoy the meat it provides.

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday. This is the buck after I pulled him back from the edge of the riverbank.

ec03c01e.jpg

This shows the extent of the gunshot injury to the hindfoot. Those leg bones were just shattered and the foot was quite swollen.

ec03bced.jpg

Technically the antlers are a three point since the shallow fork is not an inch deep.

ec03ba91.jpg

I found this whole experience to be as emotionally disturbing as nearly anything I've experienced. It took me until the wee hours of this morning to make some sense of it. I've always loved and admired whitetails. They've been one of my favorite creatures since I was a kid. They're graceful, strong and beautiful animals. Hunting them is a challenge and there is never any guarantee of success. To stand in the woods yesterday looking into the eyes of an animal that ordinarily would have been leaping off through the woods and to have him just standing there looking back into my eyes was profoundly disturbing. The closest I could come to finding a way to express what I felt is that I felt very much the same way you do when it's time to make the final decision when a beloved dog is very old or ill.

It was just that personal and heartbreaking to do the right thing by that animal.

Alan

Pretty little buck and interesting antlers. Glad you ended his suffering and will utilize the venison and hide.

No surprise to me as I've know Alan for quite a while. :)

I think I've decided to go ahead and have this buck's skull done in the bleached look European mount style for a little honorable treatment and office memorabilia.

Alan

I've seen deer survive with front legs shot-off but never with rear legs.  I'm surprised the hunter who shot at him wasn't able to follow-up.

Let us know how the meat tastes.  Stress is suppose to be make the meat odd tasting.  I'm just wondering if that is fact or fiction.

Alan,

In my experience, any decision that is easy is usually wrong.  Putting an animal out of its misery is not easy and it is always the right decision.

You demonstrated your character by doing the difficult and right thing.

Not sure about a stressed deer and tainted meet. I've been lucky and haven't had to run down a deer after a shot or find it days later still alive.

But as I mentioned to Alan-I did have to leave a bow shot deer overnite and found it first thing the next morning. She had actually died within 50 yards but the shot was low and there was almost no blood trail. She was a little bloated and I found her tenderloin/backstrap was tainted and hardly edible but I've never had better steaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dont know how I missed this thread, but Alan you did a great thing, you took what nature was giving you.  While as dificut as must have been from reading your story, your woodsmenship did not fail you, you took him swift and clean.  What the noble beast deserves, not the alternative in this case.

I think your rack choice is a good one and will be made only more valued as time passes and your story remains.

Happy to hear he is just as tastey!

Alan, I think you have perfectly defined what a true hunter is.

Good job, outstanding.  I am proud to haunt the same bb as someone like you.

Tracy