REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
valuman

Which Grouse Hunting Books?

ScottGrush
Yeah, at $200+ for a copy (abebooks.com), I think...not.

Note to self....sell books to fund gun purchases.  :p

Larry Brown

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Smith and Hill's "Whispering Wings of Autumn" is outstanding.  I recently suggested to Steve that he ought to look into having that one republished.

Grooms wrote articles on grouse hunting back in the old Fins & Feathers days, but he never wrote a book on the subject. He did write a couple good pheasant books.

I know of 3 John Taylors who've written hunting/shooting books.  There's "Pondoro", the old African hunter; there's the John Taylor who writes mostly about guns, and whose "Shotshells and Ballistics" and "Shotgun Encyclopedia" are very good references; and then there's the PA John Taylor, who wrote a book called "Hunting North America's Upland Birds", in which it's pretty clear he has not hunted several of them (especially western species)--but he's good at quoting other writers who have.

valuman
I have both Grouse & Woodcock–A Gunners Guide by Don Johnson and Grouse Hunters Guide 2nd edition by Dennis Walrod. I'd be glad to lend either or both out for price of postage or no charge to any Contributing Member.

I really appreciate your generosity here, Brad.  :)

WI Brookie Guy

51-Eoin-c6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It seems everyone missed this one which is excellent how-to plus entertainment. Comparable to walrod's book which I think has the best how to.

His other books on grouse dog training are also a good mix of how to and entertainment.

Good book, but I guess I prefer Walrod's book...maybe because it has pictures.  Hey, anyone who goes through the trouble of making a grouse mock-up for a photo gets the nod from me.

Mulak's book is going for how much??  I may have to take out an insurance rider to cover my collection.

oldredruff

Mulak's book is going for how much??  I may have to take out an insurance rider to cover my collection.

That's nothing.

Partridge Adventures and  Partridge Rambles have sold for $1200 a piece and they are about hunting grouse without dogs.

Larry Brown
I have not looked lately, but the hard cover version of the first edition of my pheasant hunting book has apparently gotten pretty pricey.  (There were only about 300 of those printed; somewhere around 1,000 paperbacks I think.)  Makes me wish I'd hung onto a bunch more my wife could sell once I'm dead--which always pushes the price up even more. :)

Laminarman

Hmmm.  Many of the same choices for me that others have posted.  I always wished Nash Buckingham wrote about ruffed grouse hunting.  

I think the best writer?  GBE for sure.  His opening paragraph in Upland Shooting Life is pure poetry and if you can't relate to that, well, then...I guess you can't relate to it.  His biography already mentioned here is a great read.  I have several copies of Bump's book.  Fifteen years ago I was in a used bookstore in Ithaca and the owner (a guy I was trying to befriend for the following reason) showed me CASES of unopened, virgin, new Bump text's as they were printed I believe at the Cornell Press.  They've dropped some in value, but all those years ago he was selling them one by one for over $100 each, leaching them out in his newsletter as if it was the last one to be had.  He must have had a hundred left.  His shop is now closed and God knows where they are.  

The Parman book?  Try as I might, couldn't read it.  Like pulling a tooth with no opposable thumb...and that's the last book I bought just very recently.  

I'm still looking for a book that pertains to my style of hunting: a crooked gun, dogs (Labs at that) that run out of range, and inability to find birds and I'm digging into it...

Checo

Value,

No Furtman book at Kittery.

I have not looked lately, but the hard cover version of the first edition of my pheasant hunting book has apparently gotten pretty pricey.  (There were only about 300 of those printed; somewhere around 1,000 paperbacks I think.)  Makes me wish I'd hung onto a bunch more my wife could sell once I'm dead--which always pushes the price up even more. :)

Darn it, Larry! Why did you have to sign my copy and mess up the value!

:D  ;)

Laminarman

Two other excellent books I forgot somehow:

High Lonesome Call by Holthouser

Dancers in the Sunset Sky by Jones

Uplander
Dancers in the Sunset Sky by Jones

One of my favorites, but in my opinion, I wouldn't call it a "grouse hunting" book; more of a generic "bird hunting" book.

Larry Brown

Darn it, Larry! Why did you have to sign my copy and mess up the value!

:D  ;)

My wife will have to sign them after I die . . . and the handwriting difference will be very obvious.

valuman
Value,

No Furtman book at Kittery.

Thanks for looking and letting me know. :)

I see there are some copies available on line, might just have to bite the bullet and go that route.

ScottGrush

High Lonesome Call by Holthouser

Easily my most favorite.

Other than Bare November Days it is the only book of mine that I have read multiple times.

Brad Eden
I have a signed copy of Larrys book; A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook in hard cover. 1k will take it. :cool: