Which Grouse Hunting Books?

If you like Mike's book you should check to see if you can find a copy of Gullion's books--same book, different titles...."grouse of the north shore" and "the ruffed grouse".

If you like to the old bio stuff I'd add in Bump et al.  New Yorkers might be especially interested in that one.  Rare find though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• valuman

• Brad Eden

• oldredruff

• Hunshatt

That's a very good book Valueman.  I think I bought mine at Kittery.  I am going there today and will see if they have it.

That would be great. Thanks!

Stick-Season Grouse, by Ted Ross

One of my favorites.

That one sounded interesting to me too. Thanks for the input.

I agree largely with the comments and suggestions about books offered. However, many of the books mentioned are hunting "stories" and aren't filled with insights into the goings and comings of grouse. One book that addresses that is "The Wild Ones" by Taylor. It is a careful, detailed look at each specie of grouse here in the US. It talks about habitat, food needs, etc. The book is informative, and interesting and  frankly, after hunting grouse for nearly 50 years here in Maine, I've learned something from it. A word of warning, his second book "Hunting the Eastern Uplands" (or something like that) was awful. Greg Hartman may know the author since he's from his neighborhood in PA?

51-Eoin-c6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It seems everyone missed this one which is excellent how-to plus entertainment. Comparable to Walrod's book which I think has the best how to.

His other books on grouse dog training are also a good mix of how to and entertainment.

I really enjoyed Mulak especially one of his first books Brown Feathers but his dissing hunting Woodcock in other books soured me.

Dennis Walrod is a member here but hasn't posted for some time. He donated a first and second edition of his book Grouse Hunter's Guide: Solid Facts, Insights, and Observations on How to Hunt the Ruffed Grouse to a couple UJ auctions.

Falling Leaves - Hardcover (Jan. 1, 1990) by Philip H. Babcock

This book has a few grouse chapters that are excellent plus others on Old Timey New England (MA) pursuits such as ducks, pickerel, foxes, hounds etc.

The 1990 edition should be cheaper than the 1937 Derrydale original.

It seems everyone missed this one which is excellent how-to plus entertainment.

Yeah, at $200+ for a copy (abebooks.com), I think...not.

I couldn't find a copy for less than $200 when I looked a minute ago. I suspect that is not a true price but a computer generated troll like a lot of book prices seem to be on those book sites now. I wonder how rare it really is. I suspect ebay is the best bet although there are none on it now.

I spoke to or emailed Mulak years ago about this book and its high price. I think he said he had a few left. He used to have a site but I can't find it now.

I paid $30 for it new.

I couldn't find a copy for less than $200 when I looked a minute ago. I suspect that is not a true price but a computer generated troll like a lot of book prices seem to be on those book sites now. I wonder how rare it really is. I suspect ebay is the best bet although there are none on it now.

I spoke to or emailed Mulak years ago about this book and its high price. I think he said he had a few left. He used to have a site but I can't find it now.

I paid $30 for it new.

Maybe someday if I come across a copy in some dusty used bookstore for $15 or less I'll pick it up, otherwise I don't really want it.  Like Brad, I'm turned off by Mulak's uncalled for woodcock bashing in "A Brief Autumn's Passage."

Like Brad, I'm turned off by Mulak's uncalled for woodcock bashing in "A Brief Autumn's Passage."

He does have opinions.

I have heard other guys go apoplectic over his apparent dissing of English Pointers. I think they read too much into it. It is still a fun read.

I am really curious as to what it goes for now. I never would have guessed it would be worth so much so soon. Then again, I saw one of my turkey books from the same year listed for $300, the other day, too. The lesson is not to wait too long to buy a book, I guess.

how to? Waldrod, Groomes, Sisley; best writer? G.B.E.

this will be an interesting question years from now,

time being the test of greatness.

Briarscratch

It seems everyone missed this one which is excellent how-to plus entertainment. Comparable to walrod's book which I think has the best how to.

His other books on grouse dog training are also a good mix of how to and entertainment.

One of my favorites.   Right next to Partridge Shortenin'.

Seeing what these books are going for now, I'm very glad I got a copy when they were first published.  $200?  Wow.

I just looked, I have Wings of Thunder. Will have to read it again and see what I think.

I have both Grouse & Woodcock–A Gunners Guide by Don Johnson and Grouse Hunters Guide 2nd edition by Dennis Walrod. I'd be glad to lend either or both out for price of postage or no charge to any Contributing Member.

I wish Steve Smith would write a Grouse Shooting book like his Woodcock Shooting book which has always been one of my favorites. Steve has a great sense of humor.