The taste of a ruffed grouse...

As I am preparing tonights dinner, my wife is talking to her mother on the phone. Her mom asked what we were having. The wife gave her the menu: grouse, smashed potatoes, peas and Sister Shubert rolls. Then, my mother-in-law asked a question that I had never really thought about. She asked how I would describe the taste of ruffed grouse?
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

• Wildbird

• PartridgeCartridge

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooter Brown
I'd tell the old hag to shoot her own if she wants to know.

I've said that same thing several times...

Tell her they taste horrible, gamey, tough and stringy. Only a real outdoors person could ever stand to choke down any grouse meat.

Someone will surely stop by to tell us how it tastes of autumn days, decaying leaves, toadstools, over-ripened balckberries, moist black soil.....

I really like chicken.

PartridgeCartridge
Someone will surely stop by to tell us how it tastes of autumn days, decaying leaves, toadstools, over-ripened balckberries, moist black soil.....

If that isn't a bad case of grouse envy, I don't know what is.

I really like chicken.

Hunshatt, will you please insert your special emoticon at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

PartridgeCartridge
Yeah, but chicken never tasted like no balkberries.

WTF is a balkberry anyways Ron?

The taste depends on whether it was dumped out of a tree, sluiced on the ground, shot on wing, retrieved, not retrieved, chomped, not chomped, shoved unceremoniously into a game pouch, reverently thanked and feathers smoothed and thoughtfully placed in game pouch, left in a game vest for 4 hours ungutted in 75 degree weather, field dressed with a cold stone or wild apple placed in cavity, left in a freezer wrapped in newspaper for 3 years, eaten  the same day it was harvested with classical music playing, wine served and a setter sitting nobly waiting for a nibble, etc., etc., etc.

Can you be more specific?