The taste of a ruffed grouse...

The taste depends on whether it was dumped out of a tree, sluiced on the ground, shot on wing, retrieved, not retrieved, chomped, not chomped, shoved unceremoniously into a game pouch, reverently thanked and feathers smoothed and thoughtfully placed in game pouch, left in a game vest for 4 hours ungutted in 75 degree weather, field dressed with a cold stone or wild apple placed in cavity, left in a freezer wrapped in newspaper for 3 years, eaten  the same day it was harvested with classical music playing, wine served and a setter sitting nobly waiting for a nibble, etc., etc., etc.

Can you be more specific?

Tonights main course was two ruffed grouse taken by a 20 g. in the second week in October on a beautiful day in sdbfjahbfjf where the temperature was in the low 50s. Both birds were taken over outstanding points and were brought to hand unchomped.

I got pretty drunk that afternoon and other specifics escape me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

• Wildbird

• PartridgeCartridge

Top Posters In This Topic

Briarscratch
I got pretty drunk that afternoon and other specifics escape me.

Nothing like a good afternoon drunk in the second week in October on a beautiful day where the temperature was in the low 50s.

Did you kneel and thank the red gods of hunting AND pat the dog on the head upon delivery?
PartridgeCartridge

OK, seriously, I'll take a stab here.

Ruffs, properly roasted to a medium rare (pink on the inside), tell my palate that I'm tasting a slightly chewier light meat fowl with just a hint of nuttiness and a slightly sharp finish.

Pheasants, on the other hand, tell my tastebuds that I have just poured lighter fluid on my face, lit it, and tried to extinguish the flames with an ice pick.

Did you kneel and thank the red gods of hunting AND pat the dog on the head upon delivery?

Yes, I also smell every single bird.

Scratch - Thats how I like to end every day in Grousetober.

Kansas Big Dog
OK, seriously, I'll take a stab here.

Ruffs, properly roasted to a medium rare (pink on the inside), tell my palate that I'm tasting a slightly chewier light meat fowl with just a hint of nuttiness and a slightly sharp finish.

Pheasants, on the other hand, tell my tastebuds that I have just poured lighter fluid on my face, lit it, and tried to extinguish the flames with an ice pick.

PC, almost had me going, funnyer than sh!t

In that case my guess is they will taste good depending on how you cook them.
Grouse tastes like success, vindication, and good times to me.  To my kids, its like fried chicken only better.  And a little tougher.
Grouse tastes like success, vindication, and good times to me.

May I use this as my signature?

Certainly, with proper credit given, of course.

PartridgeCartridge

Almost as good as chukar or huns.........

I think I'd rather scratch my bulging hemmoroids with a pissed off porcupine than eat either of those birds.

Certainly, with proper credit given, of course.

Of course!

Pleasant Ridge
Almost as good as chukar or huns.........

I think I'd rather scratch my bulging hemmoroids with a pissed off porcupine than eat either of those birds.

Now that right there is a quote worth quoting....