The taste of a ruffed grouse...

I guess I definitely brined them for too long but they were friggin' incredible.  I gave a slice to Dave Furman at the dinner party and his eyes got very large.  He asked if I could smoke the 10 grouse he has in his freezer.  My reply was certainly.  I just can't guarantee that he would get all 10 back.

Not quite 10, but maybe 4 or 5...the rest didn't last long!

5-10 grouse.......what do you do with the other 90?   :laugh:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

• Wildbird

• PartridgeCartridge

Top Posters In This Topic

bosco mctavitch
I guess I definitely brined them for too long but they were friggin' incredible.  I gave a slice to Dave Furman at the dinner party and his eyes got very large.  He asked if I could smoke the 10 grouse he has in his freezer.  My reply was certainly.  I just can't guarantee that he would get all 10 back.

Not quite 10, but maybe 4 or 5...the rest didn't last long!

5-10 grouse.......what do you do with the other 90?   :laugh:

Salute them with lead, cuss in frustration and haul my ass up another mountain.

Can you be more specific?

Tonights main course was two ruffed grouse taken by a 20 g. in the second week in October on a beautiful day in sdbfjahbfjf where the temperature was in the low 50s. Both birds were taken over outstanding points and were brought to hand unchomped.

I got pretty drunk that afternoon and other specifics escape me.

This post makes me yearn for October right about now.

Can you be more specific?

I got pretty drunk that afternoon and other specifics escape me.

This post makes me yearn for October right about now.

x3....and nov, dec, and if the little smurf hadn't played the snowstorm card, jan

Taste? You mean people actually eat them? I thought you just shot them off limbs and left them in a ditch. Guess I'll have to shoot a couple at the preserve this weekend and give them a try.
PartridgeCartridge

So, PC, it seems the pectination (did you make that word up??) and herb crap (or lack thereof) are the keys to success.  Apple wood OK?  It will have to be.  Also, temp dude?  I can hold my smoker at an even 225F for 12-16 hours or lower if needed and add a water pan for a little moisture.  Sounds like it's trial and error so I might have to go shoot a mess of preserve P'easants to work with.  Do you check internal temperature?  

Lord knows I can't hit grouse so won't be smoking them...but then again you're going to solve that problem too, right??

The pectination process is the key.

225 degrees is above the boiling point of water. Too hot.

12-16 hours seems awful long.

Applewood is fine.

There is some trial and error but slicing one breast a sliver at a time while smoking will tell you far more than any other method.

As to the brine, I keep it simple with Kosher salt, brown sugar and cold, clean water. Many of the market cures have potassium nitrate(salt peter) and I don't like the flavor or the finish it leaves on wild birds. It does work well for dark meats though.

Up next:

How to perfectly smoke scallops and lobster tails.

Ever had medallions of smoked lobster franchaise?

So, PC, it seems the pectination (did you make that word up??) and herb crap (or lack thereof) are the keys to success.  Apple wood OK?  It will have to be.  Also, temp dude?  I can hold my smoker at an even 225F for 12-16 hours or lower if needed and add a water pan for a little moisture.  Sounds like it's trial and error so I might have to go shoot a mess of preserve P'easants to work with.  Do you check internal temperature?  

Lord knows I can't hit grouse so won't be smoking them...but then again you're going to solve that problem too, right??

The pectination process is the key.

225 degrees is above the boiling point of water. Too hot.

12-16 hours seems awful long.

Applewood is fine.

There is some trial and error but slicing one breast a sliver at a time while smoking will tell you far more than any other method.

As to the brine, I keep it simple with Kosher salt, brown sugar and cold, clean water. Many of the market cures have potassium nitrate(salt peter) and I don't like the flavor or the finish it leaves on wild birds. It does work well for dark meats though.

Up next:

How to perfectly smoke scallops and lobster tails.

Ever had medallions of smoked lobster franchaise?

Oh, I just meant I have the ability to do 12-16 hours at a stretch in case I had like 4,000 to do at once  :)   Keeping it much below 190 is a tough job, but I need to try this with a batch soon.  Thank you.