Professional Titiles

There are certain professional designations like Doctor or Professor that are bestowed only upon successful completion of a recognized standard.

I was wondering about the title of Chef.  Is that title a matter of peer recognition or is there a specific criteria for that title?

Phred

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

I bestow the title of chef Phreddy on you. Congrats.

Not a chance.  When you are in the kitchen, particularly with a bakers hat, I am the dish washer.

They need to go to chef school and get the credentials. I have a friend that studied in France and apprenticed at some of the finest eateries in New York. She also is an attorney. She indicated it was much more difficult becoming a chef than it was getting through law school and passing the NY Bar Exam. She is hands down our favorite house guest and is welcome to stay as long as she wants.

Of course, some restaurants may bestowe the title on some cook out back, but it is typically a credentialed position. Every chef I worked with back in the hellish day I was working in food service (high-school and some during college) had plenty of formal education and certifications.

A long time ago I learned that some who own titles actually do earn them, and they could care less what appellation you chose to address them. To me, anyone who "insists" on being called "chef, Doctor, professor", is hiding something.

I have known a few "Chefs" in my time and except for their trainees or underlings, they preferred Bill, Ed, Tommy, anything but "chef".

Speaking of CHEFs, over the Christmas period in Toronto, I ran into Susur Lee in a Chinese grocery store. We had a nice chat.

I'm with you Ben.  I am leary of people who define themselves by thier title.  My wife is a big fan of Top Chef, and all of the contestants are refered to as "Chef."  I was curious if that was a moniker for staging or if it was something that was truly credentialed.

Phred

If asked my dogs would refer to me as "Chef."  They have never missed a meal or be short changed.

This is too good to pass up.

I've been in the restaurant industry practically my whole life and I'm in the midst of purchasing my first bar/restaurant. So I'm somewhat qualified to answer this.

Anyone can call themselve a "Chef".

Do they have to go to school? No. Do they have to know what they are doing to be deserving of that title? Yes.

I just saw an old co-worker's facebook profile that has him listed as a "Chef". I started to laugh beacause he sucks in the kitchen.

So that goes to show you that that title can go to anyone can be a "chef", in their own mind!

I don't believe there are any state or federal licenses/tests to be a chef. The CIA or ACF train and graduate "chefs" as do vocational schools.

You got my gray matter all spinning around now. I spent a decade cooking my way through college. While it was enjoyable, I pinnacled financially as a bartender. I would never call myself a chef but I was handy enough as a line cook to run any of the 4 stations, manage staff, run food costs, feature daily specials and stand in as a "sous chef" when the "chef's" were off work. I started at a chain restaurant as a grill cook and was recruited to an independent restaurant where most everything was made from scratch, fresh local items were used and the general attitude from the staff was that they took ownership in every plate that went out of the window. It can be one of the most busy/difficult/stressful/rewarding jobs.

The motion by the gentleman from SD to dub you chef is seconded by the gentleman from KY.

Or, is one of the kiddos considering this profession? If that is the case I would gladly get you in touch with some working chefs that could help fill in any blanks you may be staring at for the youngins career. It is not a high paying job out of the gates, the hours are long and late nights are the norm.

A long time ago I learned that some who own titles actually do earn them, and they could care less what appellation you chose to address them. To me, anyone who "insists" on being called "chef, Doctor, professor", is hiding something.

I have known a few "Chefs" in my time and except for their trainees or underlings, they preferred Bill, Ed, Tommy, anything but "chef".

Speaking of CHEFs, over the Christmas period in Toronto, I ran into Susur Lee in a Chinese grocery store. We had a nice chat.

I know a person who insists (or at least used to insist) on being referred to as "Distinguished Professor K****** "    To be fair his title is "Distinguished Professor"  which is a step above a regular old professor, but still...

how'd the king get his title?

Because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at him?

I went to law school with a guy who used "Doctor" as his professional title, because a JD is a doctorate degree.  Being technically right doesn't make him less of a stuffed shirt for doing so.

Kerry Stratton
On Sunday morning when the bacon, sausage, taters, pancakes, and eggs are flying I am the CHEF.  Any other time in the kitchen I am the cheif dish washer.
Matt Crawford

Why is it every saltwater guide (and way too many saltwater, uh, "writers") insist on being called "Captain?"

I just called a guy for work and got his machine.

"Hi, this is Capt. Tony So-and-So."

It's rampant among those "seaman". Why?