Professional Titiles

Why is it every saltwater guide (and way too many saltwater, uh, "writers") insist on being called "Captain?"

I just called a guy for work and got his machine.

"Hi, this is Capt. Tony So-and-So."

It's rampant among those "seaman". Why?

We have a guy at grouse camp that we call "Captain."  He is the only one among use who has a boat big enough for a motor.  Although to be fair, he does have a Captain's license.

In days gone by, like post Civil War, it seems that people carried titles into retirement.  A retired judge might still be refered to as Judge Smith, or a former Army Colonel or Major would commonly be refered to as Col. Doe.  Is this a formality or a level of deference that has expired over time?  Do titles continue?

Phred

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred

I think un-earned titles are stupid, plain and simple. Had a teacher that called himself "Dr. Tech" yet all he had was a four year degree.

I don't think Chiropractors and other vudo "doctors" should be called "Doctor" - Doctors IMO are DO's, MD's, DVM's, DDS, and PH'ds.

I also hate people in my industry that add the "CHO" (certified hotel operator) to the back of their name on business cards. I don't give a **** if you went to a weekend seminar on how to run a hotel and learned how to calculate Per Occupied Rooms costs, and passed some stupid test to be certified. Drives me nuts, that title means squat.

My father was always uncomfortable with being addressed as Doctor, but when cited, he was always pround to be Doctor, professor emeritus, ect, ect.

I remember stopping by his office one day and when I called him Doctor, he quickly stopped me and said, "Call me Charlie".

But then again, he probably was more interested in my thoughts regarding his paper on "Functional and Physical Extrapolation Relative to Evolution of the Mammalian Erythrocyte".

Still can't figure why he gave me a "D" that semester......

Ken

My daughter is a graduate and former fellow at the Culinary Institute at Hyde Park. It is my understanding that there are professional standards for the formal title 'Chef'... but anybody can be a chef.

Fishing guides called "Captain" - they have to be licensed to take passengers for pay aboard their boats. They are all 'captains' apparently.

But then again, he probably was more interested in my thoughts regarding his paper on "Functional and Physical Extrapolation Relative to Evolution of the Mammalian Erythrocyte".

Still can't figure why he gave me a "D" that semester......

Ken

Mis-spelling? ???

tartanshooter

It took me 4 years of pretty tough studying to get the designation of N after my name but I never use it because those who do not know what it means would think I'm a pompous ass, and those who do know what it represents think  I'm told to cut it.

But down deep in my heart_ _ _ _.

:D

Dick

Steelheadfred
Total Jewelers

President, CFO, CEO, COO, HDIC

Scott Grush CPSRM - (Certified Pawn Shop Repair Man)

Okay, I'll step into it...what's HDIC?  ;-)

Head Dick In Charge

whats that other one.... grouse major? no thats not it..... grouse captain.... noope.........  ohh yea..... the grouse Commander

Not sure about technically being a Chef, I figure that if one's food is good enough people will go out of their way to get it you are a Chef.

I can tell you to get the title of Engineer or Land Surveyor in the State of MN you need to have a 4 year degre, pass a national test and then a state specific test to be licensed. And that just gets you the privilege of paying to every couple of years to continue the license.

Steelheadfred
whats that other one.... grouse major? no thats not it..... grouse captain.... noope.........  ohh yea..... the grouse Commander

Fat Ass

Fat Ass

really? I'd a figured what with you being a 1%'r you'd a been in better shape than grush...... another urban legend kicked to the curb ....... oh well, if you start working out, you might loose it by next season

Steelheadfred

Fat Ass

really? I'd a figured what with you being a 1%'r you'd a been in better shape than grush...... another urban legend kicked to the curb ....... oh well, if you start working out, you might loose it by next season

that is what the wife is hoping for