Professional Titiles

I have a professional title but wish I could change it to something like "professional grouse bum" or "woodcock savant" or even "ditch parrot whisperer".
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

Why is it every saltwater guide (and way too many saltwater, uh, "writers") insist on being called "Captain?"

I just called a guy for work and got his machine.

"Hi, this is Capt. Tony So-and-So."

It's rampant among those "seaman". Why?

Anyone who passes the US Coast Guard test gets to call himself captain.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/cb_capt.asp

As a retired Navy guy, I have to say someone calling himself "captain" and driving some 21 foot fishing boat seems somewhat zany.

There are certain professional designations like Doctor or Professor that are bestowed only upon successful completion of a recognized standard.

I was wondering about the title of Chef.  Is that title a matter of peer recognition or is there a specific criteria for that title?

Phred

There is no formally recognized bestowment of this nomenclature, that I am aware of.  However, "Chef" isn't really a title at all (meaning a completion of a certified requirement or achievement), more of an "explanation" of their role in the establishment, such as maître d'hôtel or sommelier.  

Further, "Chef" isn't really anything other than someone who cooks for other people, however, in professional situations the executive chef (chef de cuisine) and sous-chef de cuisine are more apropos for titles, neither of which I have ever known to have less than 4 years of specialty education.  The chef de cuisine also probably has more than 10 years of training in apprenticeships and management.  

The same kind of gray area of title-ship is common too with your example of "Professor".  Professor is a rather narrow title of profession, meaning a tenured researcher or senior lecturer that has attained chair position (usually) within a University (though this has somewhat recently been expanded to Colleges as well).  The variants of this can mean one of a number of different positions or achievements during the career (distinguished, emeritus, associate, assistant, etc.)

Also of note, in my 11 year experience, the faculty that usually have the longest titles (my advisor has a full 13 of them) are the ones that are vehement in their insistence that you call them by their 1st name.

Why is it every saltwater guide (and way too many saltwater, uh, "writers") insist on being called "Captain?"

As a retired Navy guy, I have to say someone calling himself "captain" and driving some 21 foot fishing boat seems somewhat zany.

At some time my Dad was an Army Captain.  He booked some sort of vacation down in Corpus Christi, TX, and when he showed up they had a limo and really lavish accomodations waiting.  I guess they see more Navy guys down there.

I have a friend who IS an active Navy Captain with a really big piece of battle hardware to drive - and wants to be a dog trainer...

You KNOW who you are...

Growing up, my folks insisted on addressing doctors as "Doctor".  No ifs ands or butts.  Still carries thru today, with the exception of guys/gals I went to school with, then it is their name since we were kids.

Past that, you get called your god given name!

PartridgeCartridge

I used to carry the title of AM OB/GYN.

Dropped it a few years back because of the Amateur status.

Carry on.

I used to carry the title of AM OB/GYN.

Dropped it a few years back because of the Amateur status.

Carry on.

hittin the sauce early tonight?

but that was funny!

You are seriously going to piss off some east coast guys.

Although I let my Captain's license expire, I would like the board to address me as "retired Captain Ted" from now on. Or you can just address me by my other name, "Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser Ted"

Thank you.

Retired Cap't Ted

(a.k.a. Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser Ted)

PartridgeCartridge

You are seriously going to piss off some east coast guys.

Not this East Coast boy.

I don't get it either. I've run everything up to about 100 ton. Don't consider myself a Cpt.

Then again, I know of certain guys that never, ever docked a boat that are licensed to take a crew of six, plus two people, a hundred miles offshore.

I think I'll stick with my Amateur title.

Although I let my Captain's license expire, I would like the board to address me as "retired Captain Ted" from now on. Or you can just address me by my other name, "Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser Ted"

Thank you.

Retired Cap't Ted

(a.k.a. Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser Ted)

How's 'bout just DICK for short? Or short for DICK. Or short...

Then again, I know of certain guys that never, ever docked a boat that are licensed to take a crew of six, plus two people, a hundred miles offshore.

'Ninety Day Wonders' they are known as here.  'Papered Googans' is another one. Pretty frightening really and this is a predictable result.

boataground.jpg

This is what they should be doing, not driving the rig

Samuel-L-Jackson-Is-Jaws.gif