Professional Titiles

Then again, I know of certain guys that never, ever docked a boat that are licensed to take a crew of six, plus two people, a hundred miles offshore.

'Ninety Day Wonders' they are known as here.  'Papered Googans' is another one. Pretty frightening really and this is a predictable result.

boataground.jpg

This is what they should be doing, not driving the rig

Samuel-L-Jackson-Is-Jaws.gif

Did you run this aground in LBI???  I think I saw this boat there?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

northern_hunting_mom
My best friend and next door neighbor is a Red Seal Chef. In Canada, it is a 4 year apprenticeship (could likely be the same elsewhere). A Red Seal means the status is countrywide. He doesn't have to take a provincial exam to keep his title. I believe a Blue Seal is international but I could be wrong on that part.

My feeling is that the majority of people who insist on being addressed by their professional title should be accorded the same amount of respect for their titles as these rap artists-

Del the Funky Homosapien

DJ Smurf

Dr Dre

Grandmaster Flash

Jam Master Jay

Lord Finesse

Prince Whipper Whip

Sir Mix A Lot

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

Ultramagnetic MC's

chef rapmaster ratt

My professional title is Mister.  I can't stand to use it.  I feel like I'm introducing Mr. Rogers.  I have everyone call me by my first name.  

I've also been introduced to the spouse of a doctor as Mrs Doctor so and so.  What a load of BS.  Those who cling to their honorifics deserve them the least.

Anyone who passes the US Coast Guard test gets to call himself captain.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/cb_capt.asp

As a retired Navy guy, I have to say someone calling himself "captain" and driving some 21 foot fishing boat seems somewhat zany.

I see your point, but I think the shorthand (seeing capt. next to a guy's name) helps to point out that the guy at the wheel has a clue, an isn't just some dope with a boat. But I guess if any person receiving pay for guiding services has to have it, it's overkill.

-----

I write "Dr." when filling out useless crap that comes in the mail. Makes me feel like the dissertation was worth it.

In the coffee world, there's a similar "controversy" about the term Roastmaster. What's a roastmaster, exactly? A ********* with a coffee roaster and a business card printed at Staples.

Personally, I insist on being called Maestro.

braque du upstate
i've been called a MF'er for as long as i can remember. it's good work with the right women. :D . i never cared for rank or titiles

That isn't aground, that's ashore.   No not me but I was fortunate enough to find this mental giant on my in to the marsh one pretty morning.

Where the hell is LBI?

That isn't aground, that's ashore.   No not me but I was fortunate enough to find this mental giant on my in to the marsh one pretty morning.

Where the hell is LBI?

We are nitpicking, but agree on the "phuckd" part.  Must have been some party to get that boat there!

A long time ago I learned that some who own titles actually do earn them, and they could care less what appellation you chose to address them. To me, anyone who "insists" on being called "chef, Doctor, professor", is hiding something.

I have known a few "Chefs" in my time and except for their trainees or underlings, they preferred Bill, Ed, Tommy, anything but "chef".

Speaking of CHEFs, over the Christmas period in Toronto, I ran into Susur Lee in a Chinese grocery store. We had a nice chat.

I know a person who insists (or at least used to insist) on being referred to as "Distinguished Professor K****** "    To be fair his title is "Distinguished Professor"  which is a step above a regular old professor, but still...

Bet that guy was a joy at faculty meetings.

My father was always uncomfortable with being addressed as Doctor, but when cited, he was always pround to be Doctor, professor emeritus, ect, ect.

I remember stopping by his office one day and when I called him Doctor, he quickly stopped me and said, "Call me Charlie".

But then again, he probably was more interested in my thoughts regarding his paper on "Functional and Physical Extrapolation Relative to Evolution of the Mammalian Erythrocyte".

Still can't figure why he gave me a "D" that semester......

Ken

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:   Now that was funny...scary true, but funny.