Professional Titiles

I introduce myself to my patients as Bob Blair. They get to decide what they want to call me. Some call me doctor, some call me Bob, some call me "dude" and some have called me SOB or worse.

My son is a "Chef". He has worked in the culinary industry for over ten years but, other than a short course at the CIA in NY, he has no formal classroom training. He also had a one year apprenticeship under a Gordon Ramsey-like chef who whipped every dog in sight regularly.....but he taught him an incredible amount in a very short time. My son's apartment was 20 feet from the back door of the restaurant!

He has worked 12-14 hour days sometimes seven days a week for most of that ten years and probably learned something in all those hours. He is now the sous chef at Trump Tower's new Bistro Laurent Tourendel-Honolulu. Point is that the chef/sous chef titles are a function of where you fall on the pecking order at any particular establishment and not your degree or experience.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

When in the company of faculty and others terribly concerned with titles I alway insist on being addressed by my formal titles - the 27th Grand Horkney of Wazoo and 14th Earl of Cloves.   It always gives them title envy :p

I don't know, there are posers, people who wish to feel more self important by using or insisting in the use of a title but again that title represents in many cases achievement, identifies the individuals authority or responsibilities. Titles have purpose that's why they where created and are earned or conferred. I sometimes think that some adopt a attitude that it is somehow belittling to themselves to give someone that recognition of the others job, station, position, or achievement

designated by a "title" or perhaps that they are just unwilling to extend the other that social custom, or courtesy. To me showing a fellow human being some respect and common courtesy is not demeaning, rather just the opposite. If a doctor, professor, policeman, etc whishes me to drop the title or should I ask if I may do so and he/she answers yes, all the better. Nobody should be beyond courtesy and familiarity breeds contempt. Today I think we can often forget common courtesy and often be overly familar.

My take on the subject

Spin

tartanshooter
I don't know, there are posers, people who wish to feel more self important by using or insisting in the use of a title but again that title represents in many cases achievement, identifies the individuals authority or responsibilities. Titles have purpose that's why they where created and are earned or conferred. I sometimes think that some adopt a attitude that it is somehow belittling to themselves to give someone that recognition of the others job, station, position, or achievement

designated by a "title" or perhaps that they are just unwilling to extend the other that social custom, or courtesy. To me showing a fellow human being some respect and common courtesy is not demeaning, rather just the opposite. If a doctor, professor, policeman, etc whishes me to drop the title or should I ask if I may do so and he/she answers yes, all the better. Nobody should be beyond courtesy and familiarity breeds contempt. Today I think we can often forget common courtesy and often be overly familar.

My take on the subject

Spin

Agree

Dick

I would like to be called 2004 Marriott General Manager of the Year from now on.

Please make a note of it.

Huh, Timmy told me you ran a Super 8. Bastage he is.

Kevin

I would like to be called 2004 Marriott General Manager of the Year from now on.

Please make a note of it.

Huh, Timmy told me you ran a Super 8. Bastage he is.

Kevin

.... and we'll leave the light on for ya.

tartanshooter

The titles I most enjoy are "Grandad" and "Grandpa."  

Fun discussion and great comments.

Just when things seem to be going from bad to worse, up pops a brilliant retort that trumps all, and shows us the light!

Thanks Colonel.

Dick

There are pompous asses who insist on being referred to as Dr. - their records of achievement, disdain from former students, and loneliness speak louder. (and Distinguished Professor ____?!?!? Wow. That's a level of self-love I think should stay behind closed doors)

But I got a lecture from a mentor of mine that the title is not to be hidden - you owe it to those who supported you and those who interact with you to be forward with your title. As a recently minted phd, I struggle balancing pomposity with "honesty?" All I've come up with so far is that formal settings require formal titles. Informal don't.

My take on the subject

Spin

Agree

Dick

agreed x2

Since this has gotten serious, and the question of lack of courtesy has now arisen - I've been thinking about the issue of professional credentials.  Having served in the foreign service and the UN - issues of protocol and titles were important parts of the business.  

It seems to me that addressing someone by their professional title in a professional setting, where it indicates a particular level of expertise or skill, is common courtesy.  

However, to insist on being addressed by those titles in an extraneous setting seems to me to cross some line of pomposity and arrogance.  Deep down, the only reason for doing so, it seems to me, is to attempt to display some sort of superiority over those who lack such a credential.  Rightly or wrongly, most Americans seem to place less faith in such titles than in their impression of the knowledge and character of the individual.  

I agree that pulling out titles can sometimes be fun and even useful if one is trying to get a reservation at a popular restaraunt  or a free drink -but it runs against the egalitarian ethos in American culture.

Dakota Dogman
All I've come up with so far is that formal settings require formal titles. Informal don't.

Yeh, I think that is getting us pretty close.  This line of work "Rev." is the standard you's suppose to shoot for.  In reality it can mean little to much depending on the denomination you work for.  

I always wanted to put in the work to earn the title the hard way and have never wanted to use the title.  (Really a stupid title when you think about it... nothing to "revere" about me! :p )  So technically it is "Rev. Stacey" which really only tells other preachers I've put in my due.

More Favoritest titles include Daddy, Coach or Matt

God Bless,