Professional Titiles

Deep in the debauchery of a UJ gathering some years ago, I was dubbed "Dr. Woodcock" by Bradford Eden and Rhode Island.  I'd much prefer that title on my business cards....
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tartanshooter

• Hunshatt

• fuess

• Steelheadfred

Steelheadfred,

I don't want to cause a fight but you simply don't know what you are talking about. Chiropractors are doctors. Here where I practice, I had to pass the same test to get licensed as any MD. Education is very similar.

Oh the heck with it I won't argue with the ignorant/uninformed.

For your information I don't insist people refer to me as Doctor, most do

however use this term out of respect.

Mike

so, you completed four years of post-college education, passed all three steps of the USMLE, completed at least three years of residency and then passed a board exam with your sepcialty society? You have prescriptive powers? Can admit to a hospital? Maintain a DEA license? I'm not trying to denigrate your profession. I'm just calling bull on "passing the same test as MD" and the education being "about the same".
tartanshooter

Group: Members

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2011,4:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.  EDIT QUOTE

Steelheadfred,

I don't want to cause a fight but you simply don't know what you are talking about. Chiropractors are doctors. Here where I practice, I had to pass the same test to get licensed as any MD. Education is very similar.

Oh the heck with it I won't argue with the ignorant/uninformed.

For your information I don't insist people refer to me as Doctor, most do

however use this term out of respect.

Mike

Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  

Post Number: 78

ghostdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2011,4:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic.   EDIT QUOTE

so, you completed four years of post-college education, passed all three steps of the USMLE, completed at least three years of residency and then passed a board exam with your sepcialty society? You have prescriptive powers? Can admit to a hospital? Maintain a DEA license? I'm not trying to denigrate your profession. I'm just calling bull on "passing the same test as MD" and the education being "about the same".

Now, Now; remember the whole purpose of belonging to the Upland Journal is to have fun.

This is starting to sound like a Sailing Forum populated by insufferable old plutocrats.

It seems to me that addressing someone by their professional title in a professional setting, where it indicates a particular level of expertise or skill, is common courtesy.  

However, to insist on being addressed by those titles in an extraneous setting seems to me to cross some line of pomposity and arrogance.  Deep down, the only reason for doing so, it seems to me, is to attempt to display some sort of superiority over those who lack such a credential.  Rightly or wrongly, most Americans seem to place less faith in such titles than in their impression of the knowledge and character of the individual.  .

Agreed.

Even though I have been a close friend with the guy for thirty plus years, I will refer to another lawyer as "counselor", a judge as "your honor" or "judge", a physician as "doctor", a politician in office as "commissioner", or whatever, in an official, formal or business setting.  They have earned that level of respect.  In a less formal setting that same person will be Bill, or Jeff or Doc or Mark.

Likewise, I call men I don't know well "sir" and women "ma'am" - a bit of PA Dutch upbringing that I can't shake.

I introduce myself as Greg.

I also agree that people who use titles themselves are generally pompous jerks.  The most egregious example of that is wives who introduce themselves as "Mrs. Doctor Jones" or the like.

tartanshooter

I also agree that people who use titles themselves are generally pompous jerks.  The most egregious example of that is wives who introduce themselves as "Mrs. Doctor Jones" or the like.

Yes have had to suffer them too. Notice how they all seem to have a bun that is wrapped much too tight?

:(

Dick