proposed porcupine season in Pa.

You come into the lodge and see a 50 pound red phase porky mounted on the wall,the smell of porky stew simmering on the wood stove.Give the clients a choice of stand hunting in active areas or the thrill of spot and stalk. Well nevermind was just thinking out loud.

:laugh:  Red Phase... :laugh:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• polecat

• brymoore

• valuman

• Tcaddis

DennisMcFeely
"Polecats Porcupine Pursiuts".

I admire your salute to the underutilized art of alliteration.  We don't see that often enough IMO.

Polecat's proposed Pennsy porky policy post.

CROWS: July 2-April 10, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. No limit

For the record, a .357 Ruger GP-100 loaded with CCI shotshells, is not effective on crows in flight.  It wasn't for lack of trying either.

I had to Google wtf you were talking about, but I see now you PA folks are debating the establishment of a no-limit porcupine hunting season from July 1 to June 30, excluding Sundays and the two-week firearms deer season.

Huh. Are they big game or small game?

I love when the PGC does that.  I bet the majority taken will be during the two week firearms deer season with either a 30-30 or the perennial PA favorite a Thirty-Ought-Six.

I believe it is best to put a "Drive" on for porkies. You need at least a dozen hunters dressed head to toe in orange to accomplish it correctly.
Fins and Feathers
My dog located his 1st one about 20 minutes into our first PA grouse hunt.  Spent the rest of our day at the vet.
They can certainly ruin you and your dogs day.I will be glad to see less of them in the woods.

I just learned that the prickly bastids don't hibernate. I always thought they did.

Bry, I thought my pup got it bad on opening day last season, but that is nasty looking!

In Pennsylvania they will likely come up with a Porcupine stamp to go along with their season.

I've heard that a 1 oz load of 6's or 7's works well on them.