proposed porcupine season in Pa.

The picture was taken after pulling quills for almost an hour.  I had to take him to the vet three times before we were done.  He lost the sight in his right eye.

I never saw the porkie but I hope he killed it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• polecat

• brymoore

• valuman

• Tcaddis

And to think after all these years everyone I know me included thought it was already open season in Sullivan, Bradford and Tioga if the dog was with you. 1 and eighth of 7.5 works great. In Mn. of course, I would have no idea on Pa. porkies.
The picture was taken after pulling quills for almost an hour.  I had to take him to the vet three times before we were done.  He lost the sight in his right eye.

Holy moley! When did that happen, recently?

• 1 month later...

Holy moley! When did that happen, recently?

It was a four or five years ago.  Huck's been dead for more than two years.

Yep.

232323232fp39nu323-79938WSNRCG3235674496

I'm pretty sure that German dog used the "Grab and Shake" method. My Brit did that to a skunk once and that was bad enough. I can't imagine pulling all those quills.

I just assumed porkies were shoot on sight type of critters.  

I've never met a Warden who felt differently.

Of course if I shoot it my dog will retrieve it, so... that could be a problem.

Those pics = just horrible...

Seen some porkies hit by cars here before, but only ever saw one in the woods.

• 2 weeks later...

I never saw many when I lived in PA. My brother had a little run in with one when it wanted to get up the tree he was sitting at the base of while trying to call in a Tom during spring gobbler. I see a few every year in MN and ran into quite a few in MT a few years ago. I believe I saw three in one day that my setters pointed and were ready to take a run at.

There is nothing quite like the feeling of walking up to a Setter pointing with two GSPs backing, beepers going off everywhere, only to find a porky in the cover and not a nice covey of huns.

1  1/8 oz of 6 or 7.5 shot has seemed to work well. Cyl in the first barrel and IC or LM in the second.

Brymoore-

That looks much like my year old Drahthaar years ago here on the prairie of Kansas. I learned on that hunt that there are a few necessary items to have with me, leather gloves, a leatherman and a lead.

I have recently acquired some land that is loaded with porkies. KDWP would like me to live trap one for a zoo.

• 3 weeks later...
I just assumed porkies were shoot on sight type of critters.  Next thing you'll be telling me is that there is a crow season in PA.

Our crow season is Feb, March, August, Sep, no limit. I thought it was regulated by the feds, maybe not.

Just last evening I was talking with a neighbor who used to be an assistant warden.  He said something about how under direction of the feds, states had to impose some sort of restriction on shooting crows because they are considered highly valued if not revered in Mexico.  This was done in exchange to have Mexico impose some sort of restrictions on duck shooting.