REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Rose

The Smokin' Lounge

Dave Rose

I had asked a while back about smoking birds that were skinned instead of plucked and some of ya'll gave me some great advice. With that in mind I decided to snap some pics along the way in hopes that they would turn out at least 1/2 way decent. Was I pleasantly surprised. Hope you all enjoy.

The brine ingriediants.

f045d7c5.jpg

The main brine ingriediant, salt.

f045cf71.jpg

Floatin eggs to check for correct salinity. (thanks Ron)

f045dc6f.jpg

Add some brown sugar

f045eef8.jpg

Finished brine and the star pupils.

f045fa3d.jpg

Let it sit overnight and then fire up the smoker the next day.

f045cecf.jpg

f045e16d.jpg

Todays smoke flavor was alder. (thanks Chris Raymond)

f04610ab.jpg

Neatly wrap and tooth pick bacon over the skinned birds. (thanks Hub)

f0460b07.jpg

(does anyone else think about the movie Hellraiser after seeing this pic?)

Layin' down smoke for about 2.5 hours this afternoon. One thing I didn't have to worry about was temperature spikes, at a balmy +-28 and wind, R2D2 wasn't going to overheat today.

f045d22e.jpg

f045cfc6.jpg

Pullin' the birds off the smoke.

f04611d7.jpg

At this point the birds aren't cooked. So I brought them in, heated the oven to 350 and added a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan to finish cooking.

f0460576.jpg

I checked them again at 30 minutes with a meat thermonitor and it said they weren't done yet. After another 5-10 minutes I had a gut feeling they were done and opened one up to check. Sure 'nuff. cooked.

f04612c1.jpg

Here they are with the bacon removed.

f045e64f.jpg

They turned out very juicey and tendered. I was more than plesantly surprised. Beginers luck maybe, but I guess I'd rather be lucky than good.

f045eb61.jpg

rprovines

Hey, great job there amigo. Looks good enough to eat. The bacon did it's intended purpose and sealed them up evidently.

Nice photos, too.

WPG Gizmo
Looks good enough to eat Dave :D

browndog
yummm yummmm ...  looks like I need to put another flag on my travel map..  :)

mshowman
Pullin' the birds off the smoke.

f04611d7.jpg

At this point the birds aren't cooked. So I brought them in, heated the oven to 350 and added a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan to finish cooking.

f0460576.jpg

/f045eb61.jpg[/img]

If we ever give an award for the least wasteful UJer, Dave gets it. Smoked porkies!

Seriously though, they look great.

Mike

Briarscratch
Holy Smokes!  They look awesome.  I'm drooling here.

ckfowler180
I have a bunch of breasts in brine and bought bacon yesterday.  Crossing my fingers mine survive too!

Dave Rose

Colin - You should be fine. I think it is important though not to let the smoker get too hot and finish cooking them in the oven at 350. I think 1/2 hour would do it. I had mine in for 35-40 minutes in the oven, any longer and I think they would have started to dry out.

Paul - Any time. perferably during bird season  :D

rosies dad
Nice job Dave, looks very good.

frugal pointer
Dont let Reelmaker know you can smoke porkies, will be another excuse for him!!  Seriously, some good looking chow there, maybe its time for me to buy a smoker.....hmmmmm

Parkerman

Dave, Those birds look great...

What is exactly in the brine mix, I can see 1 cup salt, and some brown sugar (1/4 cup?) but what else? I want to try this. Eric

SteelSearchin

Nice work Dave!!  Those birds looked to be in pretty good shape before you cooked 'em.  The toothpick scars made 'em look a little more like the birds I'm used to seeing.  Can't quite bring myself to let a bird "get out there a little."  Too many years of grouse hunting ingrained into my trigger finger...  

;-)

RookieEP

Are you mad MAN!  Didn't you see the thread about people trying to lose weight!  You are so evil...  

Do you do to go boxes?   :laugh:  <- emotican w/ mouth open to eat food.

Dave Rose
Eric - I just put a post in the Receipe Forum. Probably should have added that after dinner the other night.