REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Rose

The Smokin' Lounge

Coach529
Damn that looks awesome!!

Brad Eden
Nice Dave. I'll try and remember to spin this to the Upland Recipes forum when it gets close to bottom of page 1.

I smoke phes and grouse much the same way. I don't use bacon though, I put a pan of hot water above the heat and smoke all the way till done(no oven time). Even with no skin the birds come out moist and tender and oh so good. Might try finishing in the oven next time just to see if theres a flavor difference. I do use bacon when grilling and it helps keep it moist.

Chris Raymond
Dave--With the bacon on during the entire smoking time did you find the smoke flavor retarded at all?  I've just never wrapped for the whole time and am curious.  Many times I'll start out with a wrap and then finish without to finalize the cooking and impart what I've always suspected is increased smokiness.

CraigM, I smoke them w/o bacon over a pan of water w/cider in it and take them all the way to done on the smoker.  The birds are basted before hand and the basting drops into the water pan to add more flavor.

BTW, this thread has me wanting to eat lunch RIGHT NOW.  And it's just after 9 AM...

Hub
It looks good Dave....I'm looking for a few grouse to porcupine this weekend  :D

Dave Rose
Dave--With the bacon on during the entire smoking time did you find the smoke flavor retarded at all?  I've just never wrapped for the whole time and am curious.  Many times I'll start out with a wrap and then finish without to finalize the cooking and impart what I've always suspected is increased smokiness.

I don't remember Chris, I smoked those birds almost a year ago! Although I was plesantly surprised to see this topic resurface.  :D

Honestly, I don't know Chris. That was my 1st attempt at it so I don't have anything to compare it to. It did have a light smokey flavor, I wouldn't call it over powering, which imo, was a good thing.

Chris Raymond

I don't remember Chris, I smoked those birds almost a year ago! Although I was plesantly surprised to see this topic resurface.  :D

Honestly, I don't know Chris. That was my 1st attempt at it so I don't have anything to compare it to. It did have a light smokey flavor, I wouldn't call it over powering, which imo, was a good thing.

Guess I wasn't looking very closely at thread dates.  ;-)

Idaho Chukar Hunter

You have got me going, also.  Can someone post a link to the original thread...I don't see it here and I am ready to crank up my smoker!

Marty