REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
John

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

John

Ok guys since none of you have any friends that would ever give you a starter in a bag...consider me your friend.. so print this out, get off your butt go to the store, follow the directions and start baking what I feel is one of the best sweet breads you can bake.  

Amish Friendship Bread Starter  

Submitted by: Ginger McKenney

Rated: 5 out of 5 by 82 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Ready In: 9 Days 40 Minutes

Yields: 4 servings

"Yeast, sugar, milk and flour ferment to make starter for sweet bread. Because the recipe produces so much starter, give some away to friends."

INGREDIENTS:

1 (.25 ounce) package active

dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110

degrees F/45 degrees C)

3 cups all-purpose flour,

divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:  Use no metal bowls or spoons, wood and glass only!

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

thanx for the recipe.

hmm................this must have been what mom did in the blizzard of '78. we were the only ones in the neighborhood that had bread later on.

camoham

jmooney

Thanks John, I've had some of this before and it was quite good.  I'll have to make a batch over the holidays.  

Take care,

Jim