Sign in to follow this  

dutch oven chukars

Dutch Oven Chukars

1 lb. of bacon

Chukars (up to eight birds)

Grape, apple juice, or water

Rosemary, Thyme and Marjoram

3 apples

4 tbs. of fresh garlic or more (I use more)

Salt and Pepper

1 qt. Half and Half or heavy cream

Cook the bacon until crispy. Take out the bacon and then brown the meat (covered in flour) in the bacon grease. Add the apples quartered and fill with preferred liquid to the top of the birds (apple juice is better). Add the garlic then salt and pepper to taste. Put in the three spices to taste (enough to give flavor). Bake for 45 minutes at 350 then turn the oven down to 275 and bake for another 60 minutes. Take out of the oven and add half and half to thicken. Serve over rice. 10 inch dutch oven for a small amount of birds or a 12 inch dutch oven for more birds.

Idaho Chukar Hunter

That sounds Great!   A question:  are the birds skinned, quartered, or what?

Thanks,

Marty

I fillet the breast and debone the thighs and then cut them in two or three bite size pieces. You can use white wine instead of juice.

ANF grousin
Great recipe, although I had to substitue with grouse.

jmooney

Hmmm....I'll have to try this.  I do have one question though.  Why cook at two different temps?

Jim

ANF grousin
Jim, I didnt.  Used about 30 charcoals and cooked it for an hour.

caplock

My first chuckar hunt was a couple wks ago & I came home with 4 birds. I was looking for a special recipe. Gona give this a try tonight.

caplock

JM - I cooked it at a lower temp at the end just to slow cook it to make sure the meat was not tough. I am sure it does not make a big difference.

ANF - I use grouse as well, also quail, phez and huns.

jmooney
JM - I cooked it at a lower temp at the end just to slow cook it to make sure the meat was not tough. I am sure it does not make a big difference.

ANF - I use grouse as well, also quail, phez and huns.

Cool thanks IBM.

caplock

Excellent meal using your dutch oven recipe. However,they did come out a little dry. Is this normal for chuckar?

caplock

I always cut the meat into pieces that you can cut in half and then eat in two bites. That way the juices can soak in a little better when being cooked. For my family and friends they have never said that the meat was too dry. Try that and see.