Bad Song Lyrics

Downtown Bang!

North Dakota Hntr

Just trying this.

Sorry Brad but the question was asked. Lyrics are nuts. I love em though. Oh, and somehow it fits.

Craig

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Downtown Bang!

• trust me

• North Dakota Hntr

LivermushBiscuit

I and some friends were doing our durndest to pay as little attention as possible to a guy named Steve Poltz in a bar in Austex.  We were waiting for the next act.  He sang a line... "It's like diarrhea in a cup".

We said, "yeah, that's what you're like, Stevie."

I nicknamed him Steve "my audience has no" Poltz.

Can't forget, but wish I could, that bit of art from Elton John in which he sings,

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza."  

Very disturbing, and he sings it over and over...

Gives me the shivers.

Love grows where my Rosemary goes"  That just makes me laugh...

Cher "Just like Jesse James"

"Come on baby show me what that lovin' gun is for"

DennisMcFeely
I've blocked them from memory but surely there are several by Bon Jovi that have made me wince.  He can make Weird Al Yankovic seem like Rimbaud.
Anything by Nirvana.  Middle class white kids complaining about how hollow their lives are make me sick.

Neither class, nor race guarantee a full and satisfying life. Hemmingway showed us that.

I'd like to dope slap Terry Jacks.

Goodbye, Michelle, my little one,

You gave me love and helped me find the sun,

And every time that I was down

You would always come around

And get my feet back on the ground;

Goodbye, Michelle, it's hard to die

When all the birds are singing in the sky,

Now that the spring is in the air,

With the flowers everywhere,

I wish that we could both be there!

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun

But the wine and the song like the seasons have all gone

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun

But the wine and the song like the seasons have all gone

X2. WTF was that. When I was a kid I remember that gem, Billie don't be a hero, and The Night Chicago Died all in about the same year. Dark days indeed.

My sentiments exactly. And then just as we were getting over that, along comes disco.  :down:  :down:

Trappercase
Bruce's baseball roots go deep, well beyond the atrocious video for "Glory Days." (We also need to deal with his disturbing use of the word "speedball," as in "He could throw that speedball by you / Make you look like a fool, boy." I can honestly say, in my 12 years of covering baseball, I have never heard a baseball person use the word "speedball." Why not just go with plain old "fastball.")

Bruce was a scrappy infielder on his Little League team, which he describes here -- notice that Bruce's throwing form is better than that of Pat DeNizio of The Smithereerns -- and when he sang of "Indians in the summer" in the song "Blinded By the Light," he is referencing his Little League team, which was called the Indians.

In the 1970s, Bruce and the E Street Band had a softball team called the E Street Kings that would play games against teams from radio stations. Robert Santelli's 2006 book, "Greetings From E Street," has a great montage of softball pics, including some of Bruce taking some vicious cuts. (Think Dustin Pedroia in blue jeans, sleeveless jersey and yellow cap turned backwards.)

He is also a huge Yankees fan, for which he can be forgiven, and I've seen him on a handful of occasions at Yankee Stadium. (Once, I almost made it into an elevator with him, but was squeezed out. I've often wondered what I would have said if I had the chance to speak to him, and eventually I settled on a simple, heartfelt "Thank you.") On shows from Bruce's epic 1978 tour, during the legendary Yankees/Red Sox pennant race, you can hear him asking audience members for a Yankees score.

North Dakota Hntr
[X2. WTF was that. When I was a kid I remember that gem, Billie don't be a hero, and The Night Chicago Died all in about the same year. Dark days indeed.

Wasn't Kung Foo Fighting right around that time too? :O

Craig

northern_hunting_mom
Phil Collins In The Air Tonight is about 2.5 minutes too long. How monotonous can it get?
Downtown Bang!

Writing songs that involve sports when you don't know WTF your talking about bad lyrics.

He could throw that speedball by you.

Make you look like a fool, boy.

Springsteen

It's a fastball, Bruce.

Probably intentional and not indicative of his BB knowledge.

from - http://voices.washingtonpost.com/basebal....ll.html

Must be an artist thing. Still think it comes across lame.

Having said that Springsteen also has one of my favorite song openers.

"Fat man sitting on a little stool"

"Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you"