REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Hong

NHL Playoffs,

Ben Hong

The real season will be starting in a couple of days, let's see your fearless predictions. Here are mine:

Eastern Conf.

NYR vs Wash. I pick NYR based solely on goaltending. Ovechkin will be hogtied and roasted by Torts.

Phil. vs Buff. Again goaltending will decide in favour of Buff. Philly has been in a 4 week slump with no sign that they are waking up.

Pitt. vs. Tampa. Two teams playing "run and gun" hockey will be great for the fans. Hard to call but leaning towards Pitt...unless Stamkos wakes up.

Mtl. vs Bos. The Habs know how to play Boston, (season series 4-2) and historically the Bruins always find a way to roll over for the Habs. Habs in 7, but they will be banged up by the Broon Goons.

In the west:

Van vs.Chi will probably be the best series of the year. Van will prevail, but it will be a toss-up. Shocked? Not me, I love Chicago!

SJS vs. La Kings. San Jose, but who cares?

Det. vs. Phx. Too much depth on the Wings for the plucky and gutsy Coyotes.

Ana vs Nashville. Firepower wins, meaning the Ducks in 4.

Go Habs!

Pub Scout

Rangers in 6.  King Henrik will stand on his head

Flyers in 5.  Miller cannot carry this team alone.

Lightning in 6-  Stamkos and St. Louis will come alive and be "Smyth"-esque

Bruins in 7.  As a Bruin fan my heart told me to write that.  My head tells me Canadiens in 5.  The Bruins 4th line is going to go after the Habs like a spider monkey on crack.

Canucks in 5.  That beeping sound is the Blackhawks backing out of the playoffs the same way that got in.

Kings in 7.  Jumbo Joe still has no heart where as Chuck Norris asks Dustin Brown to borrow some heart.

Red Wings in 5.  The machine just keeps rolling.

Predators in 7.  Dark Horse pick.  Gotta love me some Trotz.

braque du upstate
i'd like to be optomistic about buffalo... money's on philly wasington over NY . boston over mtl. fleury should keep PIT alive . west: van ,det,kings, and ducks.

Dogwood

East

Wash > NY. 3rd and 4th liners score for W cuz they waste too much time on Ovechkin

Phil.> Buf cuz my wife is from Philly

Tampa > Pitt cuz I'm from Det. and we love Stevie and hate Pitt

Mtl > Bos cuz Bos has enough good teams already

West

Van > Chicago cuz Chicago will run out of emotional gas

Kings > SJS just because the Kings are quicker

ANA > Nashville. Puke, I hope Nashville at least takes 'em to 6 games.  That plus I still can't believe the NHL allowed a team to be named after a Disney movie, so double puke.  How bout the Anaheim Chillis instead.

Det > Phoenix in 6 but I can see the RW's losing the next round cuz when the bangin' starts and the penalties aren't called they just don't have enough grit.  Plus, you need a goalie with an attitude and Jimmy Howard ain't got one.

Either way lookin' forward to more Coachs Corner with the Don Cherry, the Archie Bunker of the NHL.  Love It!!!

The real season will be starting in a couple of days, let's see your fearless predictions. Here are mine:

Eastern Conf.

NYR vs Wash. I pick NYR based solely on goaltending. Ovechkin will be hogtied and roasted by Torts.

Phil. vs Buff. Again goaltending will decide in favour of Buff. Philly has been in a 4 week slump with no sign that they are waking up.

Pitt. vs. Tampa. Two teams playing "run and gun" hockey will be great for the fans. Hard to call but leaning towards Pitt...unless Stamkos wakes up.

Mtl. vs Bos. The Habs know how to play Boston, (season series 4-2) and historically the Bruins always find a way to roll over for the Habs. Habs in 7, but they will be banged up by the Broon Goons.

In the west:

Van vs.Chi will probably be the best series of the year. Van will prevail, but it will be a toss-up. Shocked? Not me, I love Chicago!

Go Habs!

Ben, good thread.

---------------------------------------

East:

Wash over NY - Caps are just too talented

Buff over Phil - The Flyers have not been as sharp over the past few weeks.  This is the toughest call.

Mtl over Bruins - think I'd pick the Bruins over anyone else but the Habs

Pens over TB - Pens know how to win in the playoff's, they are playing very good dee with a tough goaltender.  Hard to beat that even w/o Malkin and Crosby.  (Hope Sid can return this month.)

West:

Wings with ease over Phx

Van over CHI - CHI shouldn't be in the playoffs at all. But could CHI be the Flyers of last year?  Don't deserve a ticket to the prom but make the finals?

Sharks over Kings

Nashville over the Ducks

tmoneysju

buffalo sure is the sexy pick of the first round, seems like all the writers are on them too....

I like that

I am going to be a big chicken and not make any predictions. I am extremely excited to watch GREAT hockey for the next few weeks. I do have to say

GO CAPS!!!!

Tango2

The Wings, Light's and Canucks.....not sure about anyone else.

Ben:  While my dislike for the Habs isn't quite as much as it is for those TO hammerheads, I will admit, the Habs were one of the most exciting teams to watch during last year's playoffs....it'll be interesting to see if they can pull that kind of play off again this year.  While I suspect the Bruins may just end up beatin' them down, am really looking forward to this series.  Hopefully we can get some decent coverage from over here in Kosovo.

Cheers

braque du upstate
buffalo sure is the sexy pick of the first round, seems like all the writers are on them too....

I like that

injuries , small size, and lack of goal scoring talent are going to catch up to buf quick. i'm shocked they even made the playoffs. miller can only do so much.

Backlash

Eastern Conf.

In the west:

Go Habs!

Should we wager on these?  How did your picks from last year work out?

Tommy, Careful now...this is a game on frozen water not salt water.

I like that

injuries , small size, and lack of goal scoring talent are going to catch up to buf quick. i'm shocked they even made the playoffs. miller can only do so much.

You just described the Pens w/o Geno and Sid.

----------------------------------------------

Am picking the Flyers to win this series but there is no 1st round team that would shock me about winning their series in the East.  Seems in the East that the ideal spot is not to be the 1 or 2 seed, not much success there during the past decade or so.  Also, teams that play as a team in both ends seem to keep chugging along.  Montreal last year was a prime example.  Seemed like there were never less than 4 habs in their defensive zone when the opponent brought in the puck.

---------------------------------------------------

Where's Fred?  This war zone doesn't get heated until he arrives.

Ben Hong
Not many shockers in the East: Pitt., Buff, Wash and Montreal all won the first game. The Big Bad Bruins were tamed.

Pub Scout
Not many shockers in the East: Pitt., Buff, Wash and Montreal all won the first game. The Big Bad Bruins were tamed.

NYR got hosed.  That was a total homer call.  The whistle should have been blown and no goal.  

Loved the schooloing Nashville put on the Ducks.  Way to go Mr. Underwood.

I wouldn't say the Bruins were tamed.  They ran all over the Habs in the 2nd and most of the 3rd.  Price was outstanding.   There is at least 3 more games for a Beatdown.

Pomoxis
I canceled Versus because of the expense. Thank God I still get the CBC on the less expensive cabel option. Wish that ESPN and the NHL would kiss and make up...