REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Hong

NHL Playoffs,

sprocket
Habs over Broons in 6

I know I am not unbiased but in the past the Caps would have folded and cryed over their bad luck after ringing the pipe twice in the first period. They are a differant team this year, built for defense first. I think the addition of Sturm and especially Arnot makes a HUGE differance in the locker room. The Rangers may have been "hosed" but that was an uncharecteristicly "ugly" goal by Ovie. I think he, and his young teammates, are beginning to realize what it takes to win post season hockey games. At least I hope so.

I canceled Versus because of the expense. Thank God I still get the CBC on the less expensive cabel option. Wish that ESPN and the NHL would kiss and make up...

Just back late last night from Mpls -- saw the Pens on Wed night at a sports bar accompanied by two co-workers and 3 pitchers of Fat Tire.  Am with you on the TV coverage mess, no Pens on VS or NHL Network in games 1, 2 or 3.  With 27 espn cnannels, one of those effers could be carrying NHL games.

Glad the Pens won game 1 but the East is a well balanced group and there could be many lower ranked clubs moving along.

Pub Scout

I think the Caps concerns are not the offense, but the goalies.  If Torts turns Avery loose and lets him at whoever Boudreau puts in net.  If Avery can get in Marty Brouder's head (who is characteristically unflappable), he could make the Caps goalies very unstable.

God I love the playoffs.

This is only an opinion but I think Avery is a punk and his behavoir has no business on the ice and only brings the level of play down.

E Pointer
The Wild in 6, oh wait Stars in 5, Ah shi$.  Im not even going to give my picks, I did so horrible picking the college games.  Other than my home teams above ive always liked the Flyers so that is who im pulling for.

Ben Hong
This is only an opinion but I think Avery is a punk and his behavoir has no business on the ice and only brings the level of play down.

I share your opinion but...that SOB has some good skills and can be a very good player if he chooses to be so. But he will always be more comfortable being a PUNK.

Tango2

Ben,

Already, the Habs are setting their bar..not crazy about it but have to give them credit. Your team is off to a good start.

And as for Avery, it's fairly common knowledge that a number of pro coaches (during the off season/off the record/on the golf course)  readily admit that they'd take Avery in a minute (..but will never admit that during the season).  Eyes wide open when you step on the ice...if not, go warm up the bus.

Pub Scout
For the record, I can't stand Avery or his tactics. However it is effective.

We listed who we thought would win.  Here's a change-up, who would you like to see win their series?  Going first, I'd like to see these teams advance in this order:

East:

Pens (duh)

Sabres

Rangers

Habs

West:

Nashville

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Knowing some of these series are pretty well finished, I'd still like to see these team go further.  

Your thoughts?

The Caps made one hell of a come back tonight. I think this might be their year. Getting past the Rangers is a big accomplishment. Quite a few people were picking the Rangers. Of course, they still have to finish it.

I am pulling for the Habs and Philly. That way the Caps will play the Habs and hopefully redeem themselves for last year.

The Pens just keep chugging along no matter who is on the ice.

Ben Hong

I detected a bit of frustration at the goal tending of Miller by the Flyers. They haven't really played well in the past 15 games or so while Buffalo has in that time span. I believe that Philly is in deep doodoo.

Who woulda thunk that the Pens would do so well without their top 2 players??

The Pens are just chugging along, just getting by may be another way to call it.  It's good to see their defensive style working -- this is not the clutch & grab defense of the mid-90's but stifling nonetheless.  Seems like two Pens are on the puck handler as soon as he recieives the puck in the Pens defensive end.

No one is the big scorer, contributions come from every line.  While he appears not close to coming back, it would be fun to see Sid play with this team, they've learned how to win without him by playing the style he plays.  No one on the team right now can make plays out of thin air like Sid (or Geno) but they seem to find a way.

------------------------------------------

The Rangers can only hope that the Caps are going to take the next game for granted.  I don't see that happening though, this Caps team plays hard all game this year.

Pub Scout
WOW!!!  What a night.

B du B
I share your opinion but...that SOB has some good skills and can be a very good player if he chooses to be so. But he will always be more comfortable being a PUNK.

On Avery, having watched him for 4 seasons now, he's much less "punky" than most in the hockey world like to think.  For one, all the talk of him being a dirty player is unfounded.  He's given to stupid antics that draw attention to himself, but guess how many times in his career he's been suspended for illegal or dirty hits?  None.  Also, he jumps in to help teammates, will fight when challenged, and has considerable hockey skills when given the chance to show them.  But he's been largely useless this season, as he's tried to restrain himself, which has made him an ineffective player.